Retraining

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Retraining

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:07 am

What are your thoughts on the retraining system (PHBII, pg. 191)? I actually didn't know this existed until I just read up on it a few minutes ago. Is this something you might want to try out in this game?

In a nutshell, it allows spending time (normally weeks) and gold to reallocate skill points, feats, skills, spells, class features, or even class levels. There's also some interesting stuff in there for just straight up boosting your HP, although that's more for people who rolled low on their dice, and that obviously doesn't apply to this game.
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Fire
Class: Barbarian / Ranger / Bloodhound / Geomancer
Race: Gnoll

View user profile http://thethirdgames.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Retraining

Post by Rory on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:24 pm

In my opinion, I could see it working for taking points out of skills you realize that you never use. Let's say you could find a trainer who could help you specialize or focus on some skills you use regularly(or at least keep handy for forseeable situations), which takes time and money, and causes you to forget stuff you learned in other skills that, say, you decide as a player to neglect to hone, practice, or memorize or otherwise perform any upkeep for, as far as roleplaying goes. Sort of a gameplay-balanced min-max option with restrictions.

Of course, there's the idea that you don't completely forget what you've learned, and can't lose your last rank in a skill you're "forgetting". Being able to reallocate the points in that one skill rank could be allowed if you've neither used it nor made any mention of it in the campaign. Similar with spells/feats you just picked and never mentioned, neither which made any impact on rolls or checks, successful or otherwise.

Those are my thoughts, anyway.
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia on Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:55 pm

I haven't been ignoring this, just thinking. I'll need to sit down and fully read that section at some point to really make a judgement call on it.

Archengeia's Custom Rules Documents
Battle Grid, updated regularly

Rule 0: We're all here to have fun.
Rule 1: GM's word is law.
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:37 pm

Alright, no biggy or rush, I just saw it and thought it might be an interesting mechanic.
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Fire
Class: Barbarian / Ranger / Bloodhound / Geomancer
Race: Gnoll

View user profile http://thethirdgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top