Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome! (Huh? What's this "Savagery" thing?)

+3
Essoje
Zeiss
Snarg of Wildpaw
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Welcome! (Huh? What's this "Savagery" thing?) - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome! (Huh? What's this "Savagery" thing?)

Post by K Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:20 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but i see people presenting fully fleshed out characters down to their genetic code already. Where are we making the rolls for the character stats?

And, uh... when are we starting (if there's a date yet, i mean)?
K
K

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Monk
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Welcome! (Huh? What's this "Savagery" thing?) - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome! (Huh? What's this "Savagery" thing?)

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:31 pm

They're going off of the playtest packet character creation stuff: LINK TO CHARACTER CREATION SUMMARY
The rest is in the playtest packet linked in the first post. I'd be more than happy to go through making a new character or even make a pregen one for anyone (of specified race and class) if you can produce a summary of the character you want. It's not tremendously complicated (especially compared to 3.5), but it is more to read.

It's looking more like it's probably not going to be next week due to schedule conflicts and the fact that I've got a contract I could potentially be working on a lot next week.

I've already got good times for most people, but just to make sure, could we get a sound-off of days and times when you're available if you haven't already told me? I think the best time for everyone is the Monday or Tuesday thing, although that's up to Arch and his campaign plans. Barring that, I think Thursday or Friday are the only other days that I know that haven't already been blocked out completely.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Fire
Class: Barbarian / Ranger / Bloodhound / Geomancer
Race: Gnoll

http://thethirdgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:27 pm

Oh wow, I missed that part. Gee, uh, I guess I'd better grab one then. Do you have any recommendations as far as quality?
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)

Back to top Go down

Post by K Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:39 pm

I'm free Monday and Tuesday, but Thursday and Friday can work too, if need be.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:41 pm

Depends on if you want real quality for streaming, voice recording, etc, or just one you can use. Either would probably do fine for most Ventrilo servers since the voice quality won't be the highest on most. aka: a sub $10 mic would probably be just fine for most purposes.

That's just my opinion though.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwydo Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:06 pm

Rory: I wouldn't spend more than $20 (including shipping) on a headset unless you plan on using it for streaming.

Third: I can commit to either the Monday/Tuesday OR Thursday/Friday schedule but I cannot do both.
Gwydo
Gwydo

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Life
Class: Paladin
Race: Lugian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:12 pm

I don't plan on streaming or voice recording. I imagine neither of those things is a core component of Ventrilo the way you talk about them, so good quality input is really all I'm going for. If that still applies to your recommendation on price range Gwydo, I'll take that into consideration.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:50 pm

@Gwydo That's fine; I wasn't planning on doing it for more than a single day every week anyway. Good to know the days though, thanks.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:50 pm

I don't mind putting the Medaira campaign on ice while we do this.  The entire point of it was to have a break for people to get more real experience at D&Ding and roleplaying anyways, and Third's campaign satisfies that requirement.  So I suppose count me down for Monday and Tuesday.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:55 pm

Oh, hmm, well, in that case, we could just go for Tuesday if that's okay with everyone. It seems like that's probably the best day for everyone anyway. I could actually do it this Tuesday in fact if that's fine. I was reserving that time for the Medaira campaign since Monday was out this week, but if you want me to I can run - especially if you're just wanting to relax that day after Monday.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Good to know, I'd like to stick with Monday and Tuesday, and if anybody could give me a second opinion on the Dynex USB Microphone model DX-USBMIC13, I'd greatly appreciate it. It's on the Bestbuy website, for some reason I "haven't got the rights to access this page" when I try to post the link in a message.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwydo Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:12 pm

If you decide to go with a desktop mic, I recommend getting one with an omnidirectional mic. That way you can set it off to the side instead of having to face it all the time.
Other than that, the reviews look fine.

Personally though, I prefer headsets. But that's just me.
Gwydo
Gwydo

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Life
Class: Paladin
Race: Lugian

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:22 pm

I couldn't help you, sorry. Not only I never used a desktop mic.

But for one thing, I know that omnidirectional mics are a poor choice for desktop, as they catch everything around you. I mean it. Unless you are in a controlled environment, those hearing you will get a lot of noise. Cardioid mics are a much better choice, and headsets with a proper directional mic is the cheap but concrete choice.

But hey, that's me, the guy whose setup is earphones, a cheap professional mic and a long mic mount.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:20 am

Okay guys, I finally got me a working headset, just for you...that is, ehm, yay! Woohoo!

Headphones are on-ear, which is to say not as comfortable as they could be. They feel like they're about to slide off. Unfortunately the mic's position is not adjustable beyond two directions vertically, but that doesn't seem to be a problem. Don't know if it's recording volume, which is at 100, or the playback volume(40/100) is just that powerful, but it's picking up a lot. Sounds pretty crisp to me, so I think the only thing I'll have to deal with is getting it at the right volume.

I guess you'll all be hearing from me pretty soon!
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Kind of last-minute, but I just thought to put this out there: if you guys and gals want to roll your own dice for this then go right ahead and roll away. Not that I'm opposed to rolling for anyone if you don't want to or can't, I just want to make sure you know that I'm not requiring that all rolls go through me or anything. I know some who like the tactile feeling of rolling their own streak of 1s so I thought I would grant you the same opportunity.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:02 pm

I don't have a webcam so I can prove to you that my rolls are valid. I know we've all developed some form of trust, but that's just how I look at it for myself. And I don't trust machines when it comes to chance(except when rolling attributes), so roll away.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:35 pm

Snarg of Wildpaw wrote:Mages are known as "witches" as use familiars/fetishes instead of spellbooks. The flavor of that is up to you, but mechanically the class is unchanged.
Okay, so I think I've screwed up majorly. When you say "mechanically", do you mean that "witches" have to prepare their spells after a long rest as normal, assigning spells to slots like regular Mages?
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:59 pm

Yes.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:08 am

Okay, then my last 1st level spell for the day is Burning Hands. It's just appropriate. From here on out I'll be sure to assign spells to spell slots.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:13 am

wait, fetishes?
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:17 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetishism

Anyway, you know temple charms from japan? Or holy water? Or crosses? Or voodoo charms? All of those are fetishes.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:52 pm

I'm perfectly willing to accept "furry" though.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:01 pm

I have decided that my Orb, made of quartz, will act as an all-purpose fetish, having all the elemental runes carved in "rings" around its circumference; one "ring" around the full circumference, and one each around the polar sides created by the "ring" in the middle.

At both of the polar points, there are four runes of the eight Schools of Magic, and at either side, the runes are appropriately spaced so that the Orb has not just "hemispheres", but also quarter-hemispheres. If one were to divide the Orb, each "quarter" would have one rune designating a School of Magic, a few elements from a ring near the rune(hopefully there are enough elements that the runes of a "ring" can be divided evenly), and a horizontal quarter of the middle ring of elements.

One of the polar "clusters" of runes of the schools of magic is as follows, and designated as the "top" of the Orb: Evocation, Abjuration, Transmutation, Divination. The other is as follows, and designated as the "bottom": Conjuration, Necromancy, Illusion, Enchantment. The order of the runes are Deke's preferred Schools of Magic, most to least preferred in an ABCD(top), EFGH(bottom) format.

The School Runes are placed in order from left to right so that they appear as follows:
AB________
CD         ___________
                          ________
"Arctic" Ring of Elemental Runes____

"Equatorial" Ring of Elemental Runes_________

"Antarctic" Ring of Elemental Runes  _____
                               ________

*Skewed representaton of a sphere, looks egg-shaped. Because I am so good at this.*

I know this seems complicated, but I didn't want to say "screw it, my Orb is my fetish" and leave it at that. I felt that it needed details, and the placement of those details needed to be specified to make it special, not just "this is my fetish, moving on".
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:25 pm

Follow-up question.

Arcane Recovery is a listed Mage class feature, a 1/day ability that allows the Mage to recover expended slots after a short rest. The sum of the spell levels of all the slots chosen to be recovered must be equal or less than the Mage's class level, rounded up. Caster classes can prepare their magic spells whenever they choose, so long as they've recovered empty slots to prepare.

Is this still part of DnD Next, or did they take it out?
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:26 pm

As far as I know it's not gone.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2