Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Azeroth Campaign

+3
Rory
Kolson
Archengeia
7 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Azeroth Campaign - Page 3 Empty Re: Azeroth Campaign

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:18 pm

You could certainly use Tuesday night for the playtest if you'd like, I don't mind surrendering that night for it, although that's kind of up to everyone playing too.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Fire
Class: Barbarian / Ranger / Bloodhound / Geomancer
Race: Gnoll

http://thethirdgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:04 am

Well HOLD ON. If we're gonna do that, I might as well play too. Like I said, I wouldn't really know what would be important to poke and nudge, but I could be around to help the real playtesters poke and nudge stuff.

I'd rather we didn't, Deke has a very special place in my heart. But if we are swapping out the Savage campaign with the playtest, then I wanna be part of fun times.

J-just think of all the play you could test requiring a Worgen PC! I could be useful!
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:31 am

Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:18 am

Nah, I ideally wouldn't want to completely stop it, I'm just saying that time is available if we want to sub it out a few times for the playtest.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:36 pm

I literally just realized I forgot to turn on the ability to comment for the classes page.  So, uh, if anyone has any it be on now.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:41 pm

Decided to slam some work on this today while trying not to be nervous.  Class page is a bit more fleshed out, Mage is done barring comments or testing, and I wanted to run a couple general rule ideas by you guys.

1: All skills are Class Skills.  Pretty self explanatory.  Note that Weaving, Professions, and Crafting all do not exist.

2: I think I mentioned this somewhere but DR is going to be flattened to just plain being DR and most non Cloth armor will provide some form of DR.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:22 pm

Bravery strats man! Kick the doctor's room open, enter the said room like a boss and ask demand for a surgery without anesthetics. Now that's hardcore mode if I ever saw one!

Just kidding, good luck with the surgery dude.

1. I really love this. The idea of a bookworm warrior or a acrobatical mage just make me giggle specially because the skills would back it up, but that's the kind of stuff that's prone to exist in the campaign world for real.

2. Yeah, DR rules really work wonders when you want to separate a platehead from a glass cannon. Me likes this.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwydo Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:50 pm

Archengeia wrote:Decided to slam some work on this today while trying not to be nervous.  Class page is a bit more fleshed out, Mage is done barring comments or testing, and I wanted to run a couple general rule ideas by you guys.

1: All skills are Class Skills.  Pretty self explanatory.  Note that Weaving, Professions, and Crafting all do not exist.

2: I think I mentioned this somewhere but DR is going to be flattened to just plain being DR and most non Cloth armor will provide some form of DR.
Weaving: personally not going to miss that. Not my style.
DR: So..... mages are pretty much frelled (as usual.) lol! 
Gwydo
Gwydo

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Life
Class: Paladin
Race: Lugian

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:33 am

Pretty solid on this character sheet format, at least for myself.  If anyone has any other suggestions or questions, please feel free to ask.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj-lEDSl7cA2dGFhLVpTeEdRM3BZYlNuc2lKVG5XbUE#gid=0
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:02 pm

No one likes my character sheet *sniffle*

In response to Rory's questions; first I added a note on how the Saves notation works in the main link, which I paste as follows;
Any given class has a rating system for Saves that goes #, #, # with the first # being Fortitude, second being Reflex, and third being Willpower.  What that number is determines how many levels in between a boost to that save their is; for example at 2, 3, 1, a level 5 character would have (without attribute modifiers) 3 Fortitude, 2 Reflex, and 5 Willpower.  All classes start with 1 in all three Saves.

Also, Wisdom has been removed entirely, and a lot of Skills I felt appropriate were shifted to CHA to make that fully the go to stat for Skills and non combat stuff.  Willpower Saves, however, are based off INT.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:48 pm

Thank you for the clarification. Why did you decide to drop Wisdom?
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:16 pm

I actually discussed this a bit on Vent; basically it's a redundant stat, even in standard D&D its usage is limited at best.  I've been putting sincere thought into removing it from the Magusien ruleset as well.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:36 pm

I suggest you drop the wisdom stat. It's my lowest. Razz
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:29 pm

And then we just have the skills that were governed by Wisdom instead governed by charisma? The following skills, under the Azeroth setting at the moment, are governed by Charisma: Heal, Profession, Survival and Awareness.

I think Profession is a skill whose governed attribute I feel should be varied on what the profession in question is, but how do you charm a boar to death while hunting? Does improving your good looks benefit your senses? Is bedside manner suddenly a valid cure for plague-rot?

I'm not trying to be a defeatist. If you don't want it, I'm not gonna be mad, but this stuff needs to make sense.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:34 pm

Okay, lemme explain.  You have combat stats... STR and DEX for damage, CON for health, and INT for casting.  Then you have social stats, WIS and CHA, I'm just condensing them into CHA.  I could call it WIS or BOB or GEORGE and ultimately it wouldn't matter, at all, because the entire point is that is your social stat.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:52 pm

But it doesn't make sense. Profession and Deception, both originally Wisdom-governed, could be easily dismissed as social, but the rest aren't socially engaging. You don't need to communicate to heal, hunt, track, or spot/hear things. Those could be changed to Intelligence to get rid of Wisdom, but they aren't social skills, talking isn't necessary when making any of those checks.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:54 pm

I suppose I could remove Heal and Survival entirely.  *considers*
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:00 pm

I don't see the reason. If it's not a social stat, call it something else. It's definitely something else anyway.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:27 pm

Eh.  I'm just going to leave it as is.  If more Skills need to be trimmed later due to lack of use, that can be done on the fly.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:29 pm

What balance of game and rp are we going for here? I mean, if we heal back up to 100% hp after every fight there's no point in having a Healing skill, just saying.

If food and shelter is never going to be a thing in the game then what do we need Survival for? Tracking? That's just a Perception check. See what I mean?
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:09 pm

The Heal skill would be a small, limited use heal which could also remove Bleeds, Poisons, or Diseases if done properly, there would be no health to full at the end of a fight (what do you think this is, FFXIII?)

As for Survival, I could see an argument for it being nixed if players didn't feel like they'd use any in the wilds type of ... well, survivalism
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:38 am

Heh, FF 13. I was thinking more of MMO balancing, which, as you know, is per encounter. I wasn't sure how much you were porting over on the mechanics side of things.

Anyway, I'm not usually interested in survival stuff, I typically hand wave it away unless it's something like Fallout or Dark Sun.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:24 am

Upon further thought and reflection, Skills are going away in the Azerothian ruleset.  Instead there will be a variant on 5th edition where you just do checks based off flat attribute modifiers.  Naturally this means DCs are much lower, especially since I'm removing the 'this class gets these 3 skills' thing 5th ed has.  So, in other words, any 'skill' roll is purely the modifier on your appropriate attribute.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:44 am

Whoops, meant to add something there.  Man I'm out of it, almost like I'm barely sleeping and on massive pain killers.  *pause*  Anyways, since I know Skills are one of the ways players like to customize their character to be more 'them' (and I'm with that) I was thinking, as a way to stretch customization a bit, of adding basically a system similar to Advantages/Disadvantages from GURPs or Javan's custom game.  The idea is pretty simple; you come up with Ad/Disads that are mostly designed for flavor and to help differentiate your particular character from others... I mean yes you CAN min/max ad/disads but I'd rather you not, and have final say of course.  You can pick any number of disadvantages you want which add to a point pool which can then be spent on advantages (if you want to, you aren't actually required to). 

Rather then do what GURPs did and list all bazillion ads and disads I'm just going to say think up something and run it by me for approval. 

Thoughts?
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:48 pm

Hmmm, okay. So I guess if you want to be really good at something you'll do it through an ad. Are you going to assign a particular value to ads/disads so we have a point cap or is it just best judgment?
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down