Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome back home

+2
K
Zeiss
6 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

Welcome back home Empty Welcome back home

Post by Zeiss Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:06 pm

This is the new OOC thread. Just making things organized.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Welcome back home Empty Re: Welcome back home

Post by Zeiss Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:36 pm

SO! Now that we are on our way back to Holtburg, let's continue our previous discussion: do we fast-forward in time or not? Here's how I see it:

-1 day = 1 turn
-The players all choose their actions for their turn. When it's done, next turn.
-The party can split off during the fast-forward period if so desired.
-The players get back together one month later (30 turns) at the Exchange's headquarters in Holtburg.

I also guess that we would need Arch's approval if we were to do so. But I think he would agree since it seems to fit well with the current campaign's format. But if that's not the case, feel free to disagree Arch. Just don't exterminate mes magnifiques papillons.

Also, if anyone is curious, here's what Zeiss would do if we were to fast-forward:

-Expand the Exchange by absorbing the other Blocks through diplomacy (preferably) or force (if necessary).
-Create a spy network.
-Locate Segregate (possible lead to the assassins).
-Assess the political situation in Osteth (possible lead to the assassins).

I know Rory and Kolson agreed with what I suggested, but they may have changed their mind. If the rest of the party thinks we should continue to play like we did until now, or if Kolson use his veto power, I won't object. No hard feelings.

*Reminder to Arch: before we left Holtburg, I asked Sareth to build an "army" for us (we recruit any race, except maybe the ones who don't like to wash themselves; was it the Mosswarts?; to bathe regularly is a requirement for the Exchange) and find Zeiss' childhood friends (if they're still alive and willing to help).

Last edited by Zeiss on Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by K Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:48 pm

I don't think we want to be fast-forwarding, in the light of recent developments. If the events in Sho come to light - and i've no reason to doubt that they will, the political situation between Alluvia and the Sho Empire will explode.

I expect things will be unraveling at a nasty pace soon enough.
K
K

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Monk
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:02 pm

Except the surprise party Lady Lightmane is probably preparing for Zeiss, I highly doubt we'll be involved in the ongoing discussions between Aluvia and the Sho Empire. But we'll know once we get to Holtburg.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:32 pm

Y'know I rather like the day = turn idea, wouldn't mind you doing that. I might use that in some future campaign as the standard even, keep things at a light yet brisk pace... would be interesting.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:38 pm

I'm glad you like that. I simply thought that since I'm the one suggesting that we fast-forward, I should come up with a game format to make your job easier.

I guess mes papillons are safe. For now.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by K Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:04 pm

We should at least give her our report on things, if we're gonna meet her.

If we're not immediately arrested once we disembark, that is.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:21 pm

I don't think she will arrest us. She told the whole city of Holtburg by hologram that we were her agents. To arrest us, in public, would discredit her and destroy her reputation. Now, the Queen stepping in and sending her goons to put us in chains (having previously removed Lightmane from power) is a more likely scenario. But I would be surprised. Our benefactor wouldn't go down so easily.

Now it's just a guess, but assuming our capture has been made public, I suspect Lightmane has been advocating for war against the Sho Empire and I've been elevated to the status of martyr/hero.

But no matter what, I'm walking off that boat with no intention of hiding. It's my country dammit.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by K Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:45 pm

Just saying, as a political maneuver it might be in their best interest, depending on how the wind blows.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:40 pm

Knowing the setting like we do, it is possible. But I'll bet on the other possibility since I doubt that Arch, as a GM and storyteller, would do that.

Metagaming. Cool
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by K Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:16 pm

There are certain things i don't say, out of fear he'll just feel like proving me wrong.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:27 pm

By the way I'm not advancing the game until you guys have sufficiently roleplayed the multi-day journey. Just a heads up.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:44 pm

My character is mulling over the events and trying to make sense of them. As am i.

He's probably sitting on the floor, on some corner, staring into nothing; with a dumb look on his face. The whole thing feels like a major net loss to him.

Reason i'm saying that is i don't think he'll try to chat much.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:18 pm

If I felt mean I'd introduce an invisible character only Higaide can hear. But no.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:21 pm

That would actually be pretty interesting.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:38 pm

*laughing out loud*

I think you just gave Arch permission to go ahead with his evil plan K. I'm happy. As for Zeiss, after sleeping off his drunkenness, he will play with Rainbow and then go through some martial training with Advoc for the rest of the journey. Feel free to ask him anything if you wish.

By the way, about the fast-forward proposition, you guys can simply vote yes or no if you don't wish to discuss it.

We have 1 in favor and 1 against it. Three votes unaccounted for.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:16 am

I'm voting yes. I rather like the idea as it lends itself to organization building. I mean, If Kolson goes down to the docks to sort out a longshoreman strike, he might spend a week's worth of time making Diplomacy checks while you guys do something else. And since we are moving on the same time scale, I don't have to worry about holding the party back.

Just to throw it out there, we use to do something similar in a Birthright campaign I was in. We'd spend a week or two a month doing political stuff (diplomacy, running the realm, that kind of thing) and the last week or two having an adventure (I remember one time a tribe of trolls had been raiding our southern border so we led an army to the area to take them out. While our NPC general fought the main force we broke off and killed the enemy commanders.) Anyway, to make a long story short (too late) it worked pretty well.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:33 am

I was aiming for silent fatherly approval, but sure, if you want a normal written one, here you have one.

I'll be honest and say it'll be the first time in a game where turns equal to days, but from a game designer's perspective, the new pace proposed is clearly compatible with the new format of the campaign.

That said, it also breaks the current 24 hours combat/non-combat AP system. So here's an idea: When not adventuring, each character gets 1 Action Point weekly and 1 forced success monthly. Choosing to use the AP works as the current system, but if you choose to use the forced success, it'll apply a quantifiable penalty of some kind depending on the situation later on. (Now I get to write a wall of text, yay!)

So let's use Kolson's example: Kolson goes sort out the longshoreman strike. In the third day, he finds out the real reason of the strike: a minor gang has been pushing people around in the docks, which would usually be easy to deal, except the daughter of a prominent merchant is part of that gang, making it an extremely delicate situation, as the merchant is known to be extremely protective of his daughter. Unable to fight back the gang, the longshoreman decide to strike after one of them is killed, hoping the big hats will see reason and do something. Except nothing happens.

3 days later, Kolson's diplomatic ways allow him to meet the prominent merchant face-to-face, and he had already used his AP for this week. This was the culmination of the sidequest, and the player felt there was no way he would let this to go on. Screw the gang, the merchant and his daughter! Kolson announces his monthly forced-success.

Kolson explains to the merchant the situation. The prominent merchant mindlessly counters this isn't his or his daughter's problem, go find someone else to bother. Kolson expected that and tries again to make the merchant see reason, which fails. Kolson finally decides to bring out the big guns: material evidence of the daughter's direct involvement in the worker's death. It works wonders: the merchant angrily locks his daughter in her room soon after he learns of the evidence, effectively allowing the gang to be dealt with in the next day. Kolson disposes of the 'evidence' in front of the merchant's eyes. Everything ends well, Kolson gains all the spoils, material or not, for finishing the quest... Except it was all a forgery, the only thing Kolson could think of that could get the merchant to act in favor of the workers in such a short time.

Archengeia's face shows a grinning expression, his eyes bright like a child's, his glasses reflecting light like only an evil GM's pair of glasses could. There's so many ways to make things interesting. Maybe the daughter finds out about Kolson, and in a few months, her new husband, an easily-manipulated-by-only-his-wife military officer hears how this evil liar red mage did unspeakable things to her dignity and still has seen no justice. Or maybe the man who created the forgery for Kolson is now blackmailing him. Maybe the prominent merchant was the Blinglord himself in disguise. Maybe ALL OF THE ABOVE! :3

tl;dr version: Plz give players the option of using a double-edged sword to solve their problems in resting mode. Laugh evilly as they burn because of a decision months later while explaining the domino effect their forced success caused.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:44 am

I don't know about the 1 AP per week. I would keep it 1 per day since we can do a lot of actions in one day. But the 1 automatic success per week is a good idea. But Arch is the GM, so he gets to choose.

Nice post Javan. That was enjoyable to read.

3 votes in favor the fastfoward proposition, 1 against and one unaccounted for. Unless someone changes his mind, it looks like our plan is made.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:56 am

I don't agree with the 1 AP a week idea, but how about 1 AP per challenge? That way, if we do lots of easy stuff within the week we can still benefit from our AP but really have to make a tactical choice when working on a longer project like the longshoreman strike in the above example.

I also really love the "auto-success, but at a cost" idea. Not only can we say nope, we succeed when we need it but it also generates a lot of potential adventure hooks for Arch.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:20 am

Well Arch, while we wait for all players to finish roleplaying, can I get that estimate on the shipment of food we're bringing back to Holtburg? Wanna know how that 15% we were promised is going to get us. Cool

Oh wait, you're doing an update to the economy. Well, how much should we get with the current economy?
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by K Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:18 pm

Oh yeah, Higaide will actively avoid trying to find his friends. The last thing they need is being targeted by Evil Bastards Inc, like what happened with Rory and Kolson.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:48 pm

Why would you do that? Look at all the interesting things that have happened since our families were targeted. Don't you want Higaide to have a role in the story too?
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:57 pm

I never thought i'd say this, but it's what my character would do™. And for good reason, honestly. I very much want to unravel all this mess, and so does my character, but there's a bare minimum of logic i have to stick to, and to just dumb myself down so stuff will happen doesn't seem right.

I mean, we just got set up as pawns for a major conflict-aggravating international incident that could screw over the continent, and our actions were so fragmented that we ended up spending most of our time covering up for each other; and not to point any fingers, but the situation went way downhill exactly when some of us decided to start acting meta.

Whether trying to get to the bottom of this continental screw-over that's happening, or addressing the problem of his entire race being susceptible to mind-rape of the most brutal order by any member of another race that just so happens to be born with the power to do so (and has no qualms taking that to mean it makes them superior as people, to add extreme insult to extreme injury), Higaide has no shortage of motivation to be active. It's just that it's like trying to ram a brick wall with his head, no matter what direction i take him, and i just can't see doing something bad just so we can have fun patching it up back to the way it was as progress.

To put it in more Monky terms, standing still and doing nothing are not the same thing. I'm just trying to figure out what any kind of smart play would be at this point.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:41 pm

I'm pretty sure Kolson was being sarcastic. Or maybe you just felt like sharing your thoughts, which is always fun to do.

As for the Scions, I wouldn't worry too much about them. With a little luck, Gaerlan killed the ones who remained asleep. Unless doing so would destroy the world. In that case, bad Gaerlan. Bad.

I also noticed that Arch wrote another entry on his wiki. It's about elves. There's a list of notable elves from the Primus setting and Zeiss is in it. I did good. *sniffle*

Also, it looks like Rory's and Kolson's roleplay is going to take some time. Does K or Javan want to do some roleplay with Zeiss? Come on, it'd be fun. *poke poke*

Edited

I also edited my other post in the main thread. To make it easy for you Arch, I wrote that I would get rid of Zeiss' and Javan's chains then throw them into the sea. Ask Kolson to help us with his weaving skill if necessary.

AND I noticed in Arch's wiki that elves get +3 bonus skill points at each level. I thought it was +1. So I  added 10 points into Intimidate and +2 into Acrobatics. Since we're level 7. *dreams about level 8*

Cool
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down