Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OOC Discussion

+4
K
Zeiss
Archengeia
Essoje
8 posters

Page 4 of 39 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21 ... 39  Next

Go down

OOC Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: OOC Discussion

Post by Essoje Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:42 pm

pur·ist (ˈpyo͝orəst/) noun
noun: purist; plural noun: purists; noun: Purist; plural noun: Purists
1. a person who insists on absolute adherence to traditional rules or structures, especially in language or style.

In this case, anime purist.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by K Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:59 pm

I'm that?
K
K

Character sheet
Class: Monk
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:51 pm

I've been yet again been reminded that in the internet, everything is taken seriously unless you use a smiley, even if you write something like 'Jokes aside, blah blah blah', signifying what you wrote before that was not to be taken seriously.

Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:57 pm

It's just K's preference. Now for serious, a real example of a purist is a person who won't use any mod that's not lore-friendly in their game installs. You might spot one of these people when they offer suggestions and improvements to mods that are lore-friendly, or aim for a lore-friendly mod.

One mod, Skyrim Immersive Creatures, has a purist setting(among the different settings, because everyone hates having to scroll through all the different tweaks in the mod configuration menu and change them all to how they want them). Basically it's the vanilla setting that only enables all the monsters part of the lore.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:03 pm

I hear ya man. The worst kind is the one that won't install mods at all, because "that's not how the developers of the game would have wanted you to play it", even tho they have concerns in the game that are fixed by a mod. And when they hear that you are using said mod, you suddenly are not 'a real gamer'. *facepalms*
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:21 pm

Ran across someone specific, did you?
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:52 pm

sadface
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Am I a purist if I don't care about mods? I still very much see myself as a console gamer, and we didn't have mods during the formative years of my gaming career so I just adjusted to whatever UI or content was in the game, every game.

*Kolson goes back to his dinosaur games and tries not to cry over Monty Oum's death. RIP Monty, you'll be missed!*
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:51 am

"Absolute adherence to traditional rules". Yup, dictionary definition of purist.

Also, Monty Oum died?! I don't watch RBWY, but I respect his work. I mean, I really liked the animation work on it, but couldn't care about the show itself strangely enough. The world of entertainment lost someone big today.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:16 am

Bleh, I kinda hate being lumped in with the pretentious folks though. I mean, it's not like I'm doing it for some kind of "better" art or anything. Oh well.

Here's everything we know about Monty's passing so far: He went in for unspecified routine surgery and thanks to a freak allergic reaction to medication went into a coma for 10 days. He finally passed away on February 1st.

I feel awful for his friends and family and for the Rooster Teeth community at large. It's really hit a lot of people hard.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:28 am

Sorry for the double post but this really has nothing to do with previous conversations and is of a different tone entirely.

My friends' Kickstarter for their card game is getting ready to launch and the publisher is working on the page and looking for constructive feedback to improve the presentation and such. If that's something any of you'd be interested in doing please follow this link and do so. Smile

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/undine/1486573258?token=dd1e4fce
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:34 am

Dammit, that's horrible news. All i knew of him was his work, and a few interviews at GT, but he seemed like a good guy.

I'm reminded of when Reuben Kee died. Dude was a remixer at OCR, really good one too. There's something nasty about losing someone from the community like that.

Rest in peace, is all i can say.

Not to draw attention away from your topic, Kolson, just had to pay respects in some way.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:40 pm

Not at all, K. I just wanted to get it out there. Unfortunately life moves on, no matter if we are ready for it or not Sad, and their launch day is rapidly approaching.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:09 pm

And Dark Souls II got the 'lore' patch thingy, I'll have to play it later. I wonder what kind of content we are dealing with... I'll just be glad if Emerald Herald don't talk about stuff unless I ask for a conversation.

I mean, I don't want to talk with her right now, just wanna to level up and upgrade my estus! Sure, I'll talk to her when the time is right, but level up is a moment of silence and contemplation and looking at numbers go up! Can't she just do that quietly?! It gets old the 12097213 time dammit!!!

... on other news, I bought Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;birth 1 and am having fun with it. Not only I'm reminded by my own lack of natural defenses against the cute, this game is like a meme paradise. I almost feel quilty about playing it. Almost.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:45 pm

The watercolor illustrations for that card game are excellent, Kolson. The Dream theme is also pretty interesting. I shared their page on my FB.

As for Dark Souls II, i got the patch yesterday afternoon, but it hadn't activated yet, the last time i tried it. I'll give it another shot later (kinda slumped right now).
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:10 am

Yeah, Julie Okahara is super talented and her whimsical style really pops with this game. My friends were lucky to catch her so early in her art career.

Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:31 pm

Maaaaaaan...
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:48 pm

I have no mouse, yet i must rant.

Would someone wiser than me explain the logic behind Audio Dramas? I'm not talking Audiobooks, i'm talking those Radio Plays that are done with multiple voice actors, yet for some reason must constantly, consistently and without fail, purposefully omit a narrator, so every character has to speak aloud what's happening in front of them like a moron, a la "On no, the Emperor is creating a force storm! It's taken out 12 ships already!".

And every time, i'm shaking my head into my palm, whispering in a dejected voice "Why.... why....?" I really really really want to give Dark Empire it's due as one of the most prominent works in the EU, but the damn script constantly treats it like a damn cartoon. And i'm not talking one of those smart and edgy cartoons like Gargoyles or Thudercats (technically an anime), this is GI Joe / Action Man level campy. I... i just...

ADD IN A FRIGGING NARRATOR, DAMMIT!!
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:10 pm

Audio dramas came before cartoons as I'm sure you understand, and people talking about actions happening is basically because there's no other way to do it without breaking immersion (aka "
ADD IN A FRIGGING NARRATOR, DAMMIT!!" is immersion-breaking) AND keep the audio drama going because of time constrains of the media.

While the movie industry fixes that by cutting, audio drama does that by keeping the script simple and bare of extraneous components from the get go.

You said it yourself, this is not an audio book. Or a book for that matter. The structure of an audio drama and the target public is different as well.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:28 pm

Uh, Javan, don't mistake this for me not appreciating your input or anything, especially when i just jumped this topic out of the blue, but if you're gonna make the case for the addition of a narrator, especially in the interest of preserving character integrity, to break immersion, i'm gonna need a bit more than you just flat saying so.

And as for extraneous components, are we really considering the notion that having the characters break character in order to become mouth pieces for the action to be not extraneous?

I'll concede your third point, this is indeed not an audio book, but even as far as audio dramas go, well, this particular specimen doesn't really excel, i'm sorry to say.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:05 pm

I'm not defending the piece, K. I'm telling you, without having listened to it, why would an author in general not want to add an narrator to a radio drama, and the common reasons why.

Now, if the author kinda sucks at it, that's out of my league to explain.

Also, about the dangers of adding a narrator, here: http://www.ruyasonic.com/wrt_narration.htm
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:07 am

I feel your pain K, I hate most radio dramas I've listened to for just that reason. The only ones I can say I like are told in the classic detective style, where the detective also serves as the first person narrator or the really old ones that actually used the narrator to set up the scene.

Just as an aside, check out this comic adaptation of a radio play that's actually an adaptation of the comic itself. It's radio play inception!

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20140101#.VNWPnPnF9LA

Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:53 am

Can't wait for the radio play of that to come out.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:54 pm

So I'm usually reading stuff about security, listening to tech podcasts, etc. But there's one in particular that I've been listening for like 9 years now. Man.

https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

Good old Steve Gibson!
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:59 pm

I'd just like to say that I absolutely love Dark Empire 1 (2 is iffy, 3 is awful) and I feel it is a critical component of the Star Wars mythos and the story of Palpatine, Luke, and Leia. But having read it many times I can see how... ridiculous it would sound in such a, ahem, dramatic format. Bleh. My sympathies K.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 39 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21 ... 39  Next