Coup d'état

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Coup d'état

Post by Zeiss on Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:05 am

Wow. Totally forgot about that: Kez wrote letters for Javan and Kolson. Let's say I gave them to you before I left for Glenden Woods.

Sorry. Smile
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory on Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:07 pm

The lefftenant has a name? And he might come here? He's interested in the well-being of the refugees? While I'm in the process of trying to get them..."deported"? My roleplay sense is tingling...
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson on Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:18 pm

Sure. Whether they ultimately stay or not is irrelevant. It doesn't change the fact we helped them and will continue to do so as necessary in the future.

Wait, I got a letter from Kez? What did it say?
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss on Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:30 pm

Yes Kolson. You and Javan got one. I don't know what it said, I haven't opened them.

Also, I'm just throwing an idea out there for Arch: I know we're supposed to catch up to the other party, but since the written format is kind of holding us back from doing the timeskip, might I suggest that you do one non-recorded live session with the five of us? The objective would be that once the session is over, we're caught up and can return to the forum format. Of course, I know that you don't have much free time and I actually don't expect this to happen, but I just thought it might resolve the current problem in the most expedient way.

Feel free to disregard this idea. I just like to put all our options on the table.
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia on Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:48 pm

Okay so I feel like I'm back enough to try to GM again. Sorta had to refresh myself on a few things as to where you guys were... which brings me to a couple things.

First, I'm not going to move Higaide's thing until he actually reacts to what he just encountered. If he chooses not to I can explain my reasoning.

Second, I'm going to fast forward some of the stuff with the Lefftenant, purely because I've completely lost the man's voice in the last week lol. There will be a post with what he shares with Kolson and Javan in a bit, and then I'm going to setup a new OOC post which is going to be; use this thread to plan the coup. The whole thing. And then you guys will plan it to your heart's content and then we'll see how it goes.

Archengeia's Custom Rules Documents
Battle Grid, updated regularly

Rule 0: We're all here to have fun.
Rule 1: GM's word is law.
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson on Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:11 am

Okay, sounds good. I'm just glad your back, man. How's your new equipment treating you?
Kolson

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by K on Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:37 am

Edited my original post. Last one of page 2.
K

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia on Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:22 pm

Actually all the new equipment isn't even here yet so I'm still running at half steam. Been frustrating not being able to work for an entire week (as weird as that probably sounds).

Archengeia

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia on Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:25 pm

Also, thank you for the post K. Much enjoyed.

Archengeia

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson on Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:05 pm

Archengeia wrote:Actually all the new equipment isn't even here yet so I'm still running at half steam.  Been frustrating not being able to work for an entire week (as weird as that probably sounds).

Not at all. When you are doing something you love what's worse than not being able to do it at all or not to the level that you know you can? I sincerely hope your parts come ASAP.
Kolson

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss on Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:58 am

Sorry about the brusque change of heart. I just don't see any good justification for doing a coup d'état, especially now that Huldar's people won't be helping us. And I really don't want to ally myself with the aristocrats now that Arch explained what kind of people they really are. It would feel wrong.

Fell free to scream at me for wasting our time. Or not? Oh well.
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:17 am

We actually have. While preparing for the coup, we learned that the state of things is worse than we imagined. Aluvia's leadership is comprised by warmongers that are too smart for their own good and under them are monopolists that poorly control what they own, and their population fear everything that's alien to them. Aluvia is a sinking ship, economically and morally bankrupt and it needs to die so something new can be born from it.

And if you need it to hit you home to act, there's a good chance the Exchange will stop being a thing as the war goes on because things WILL get uglier from here on. What you envision for the Exchange can't survive on player characters power alone.
Essoje

Character sheet
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:37 am

I'm not backing out of the coup because I think it shouldn't be done. I'm backing out because we don't have the support we need to accomplish it. I don't want us to form an alliance with the aristocrats since it would only perpetuate the problems you're describing and Huldar doesn't want to throw in with us. So we've hit a wall.
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:45 am

It dawned to me that we don't need to spearhead any of this after all. We just need to create a reason for others to wake up to reality and then support whatever comes out of it instead, which is something we could realistically do.

I mean, do we really need the spotlight on our characters that much?
Essoje

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:48 am

Well, someone else removed Lady Lightmane of power. Depending on their motivations, we could ally ourselves with them. Highly hypothetical of course, but possible.
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje on Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:11 am

I was thinking more along the lines of stirring up the people of Aluvia to revolt (we can discuss their revolt methods later), as their motivations would be crystal clear. So it wouldn't be as much of a coup as I personally believe this rotten house should come down so we can build a new one.

And since we would be acting from the shadows in favor of the revolts, the Exchange and our party would be better able to play our strengths than if we tried to spearhead it. If you thought about Assassin's Creed just now, that's because you played it AND I played it AND it's actually a good idea for our party to go that route while doing awesome things.
Essoje

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss on Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:14 am

I actually don't mind this idea. I'll have to think some more about it to figure out how it should be done.
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory on Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:47 am

That has its own set of issues. First, the people need figures they can rally behind. There will no doubt be charismatic types that will do that eventually, but we need them to take charge as quick as possible. Second, a revolt of the people can get very ugly. There needs to be assurance that the revolting people won't get out of control. Lastly, the people who end up in power at the end could likely be worse than what they overthrew, it's a historically validated risk. The people who go into power need to be good people. They need to be everything I said Zeiss would need to be if he took power. We'll literally be playing kingmakers with the locals. Subterfuge and deception will be every bit as important as diplomacy and gathering information. I just hope we wouldn't have to tell pretty little lies to the people we want to seize power in order to make them the benevolent rulers we want them to be.
Rory

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:04 am

*folds hands and considers his words carefully* I've never said a coup is impossible, but I can't help but notice something, which is probably my fault because I have the whole picture in my head and suck at communicating, but a few food for thoughts.

First... I could be totally wrong but I haven't seen anyone considering seeing aid from another source than the wealthy or the magnates.

Second, related to the first... no one so far has considered external aid in the matter (possibly by design).

I won't say too much else just yet for fear of influencing people's mentalities.

Archengeia

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje on Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:18 pm

Those are good points.

I was too into getting Zeiss into scheming that I completely forgot we have other options before we go full revolution.
Essoje

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss on Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:49 pm

The two big reasons I wanted to start a coup was to solve the immediate problems in Holtburg and to preserve the Exchange's existence. But then we learned the caravans being hit and the military doing strange stuff in the city weren't problems at all. And from what the Lefttenant just said, his organization isn't trying to take out the Exchange. If they were, you can be assured I would still be scheming to take over Holtburg. But I was still interested in doing a coup if Huldar and his people were the ones to help us. They were just perfect.

However, since they won't be joining us, I just don't see why I would want to pursue the coup. The motivations I had set for my character are gone. After everything we learned, my character is left standing and asking himself: "Why do I want to do this again?". My long term goal for this campaign doesn't require me to take over the Lordship of Holtburg, but I still have to help people on a very large scale. It is a requirement for my plan to be successful. So I'm not just abandoning the coup, I'm also redirecting my attention towards this one objective. The immediate threat I saw looming over the Exchange was only a mirage, and while it would be fun to continue planning a coup, I just don't have any reason for doing so anymore.

And please, don't take my change of heart as the frustration of a player who's just making a tantrum because his plan didn't work out. That's now how it is. I actually really liked writing this big post, since it gave Zeiss some nice character development: he's now willing to pull back and rethink his actions. You can be sure the old Zeiss would have gone with this coup, no matter what evil deed he has to do.

I hope this post will be enough to explain my reasoning. Felt like I owed it to you guys, after dragging your characters into this mess for quite a long time now.
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:35 pm

Someone wants the Undermarket replced. What that sounds like to me is getting rid of some people to make way for new people who are either interested in or loyal to the cause of the movers, or can be controlled. That sounds bad to me. We have a stake in this coup whether we want it or not.

Meanwhile, some unknown splinter group of the Holtburg military decided they needed to kidnap Sareth. These two things are related. I'm calling it. I feel we should be casting our net in smaller and smaller areas to find their base instead of drop points or all-purpose warehouses, till we find the people responsible for his kidnapping and deal with them with extreme prejudice.
Rory

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:45 pm

The only apparent faction in Holturg who wants to replace the Undermarket seemed to be Huldar's people, and he just confirmed they didn't even know of the Exchange's plans on this matter.

As for the people who kidnapped Sareth, I don't think they were with the military. The military itself appeared to be letting refugees into the Veil for shelter. Nevertheless, I will find a way to identify the kidnappers and kill them. I just don't think we need to take over Holtburg to make that happen.

Not doing the coup doesn't mean I'm going to sit around and do nothing. There are other ways to get rid of our enemies and help the refugees.
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson on Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:09 pm

So we find out that bad people are bad so we throw in the towel? What?! What?!

I have to ask: What do you even want Zeiss and what are you prepared to do to get it? I'm serious. You want to take all those guys down but you balk at getting a seat at the table? WHAT?! What's even the point of this anymore? Why are we playing this game? I don't know! Do you?

Arch: Before we cut Lefftenant loose, I'll put forth the idea of meeting with his organization. At the very least I'd like to see who they are and formalize a nonaggression agreement. Maybe if it goes well enough we can help each other out in the future. Maybe coordinate our efforts with the refugees. I'll say all of that to him.

Also, you mentioned other groups who would be willing to help us but other than the Olthoi I'm at a loss as to who they are so please enlighten me.

@Everyone I'm seriously angry right now so I'm going to take a break for a few days. I consider you all friends and I don't want to say or do anything to jeopardize that so I'm asking for some space while I cool off. I'll keep asking questions about Aluvia in the meantime but I obviously have a lot of thinking to do.
Kolson

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss on Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:53 am

Quite the ant hill I just kicked.

Considering that this campaign is there so that all of us have fun, I'm willing to go with the majority and keep working on the coup (I'm actually quite surprised people are trying to talk me into keeping into doing this). That is, if that's what you guys really want. I can edit my post so that the line where I say there won't be any coup is a lie. I already changed my character's personality on the GM's demand for the sake of the game, I don't mind doing it again. And I, the player, still want to do the coup anyway.

I am also sorry about my conduct: I shouldn't have made this unilateral choice when your fun was also involved into the equation.

I think I said it all.
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down