Coup d'état

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Coup d'état

Post by Zeiss on Sat May 30, 2015 4:38 pm

I think Rory, the player, wasn't aware of the dangers present in Osteth. I do, but it's because I follow the live campaign on Youtube and have read the reference document extensively.

I didn't know about the three major groups who control Aluvia before you mentioned it. I thought the upper nobility and the aristocracy were one and the same.
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by K on Sat May 30, 2015 5:42 pm

I just got back from a really long day, and i don't think i have the energy to gather my thoughts and give the RP a proper post before i get some shuteye.

Sorry to be a drag.
K

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Monk
Race: Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory on Sun May 31, 2015 12:15 am

If I'd known, I would have actually told them. What sort of dangers are we talking about? Would my character even be aware of them? I'd like to think he would, since he's been gathering information on this place. or Zeiss might tell him, he knows I'm planning to send the refugees to Osteth.
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss on Sun May 31, 2015 12:19 am

I did tell you to tell them about it. Might have forgotten, don't sweat it. In summary: the Osteth military are dedicated towards fighting the wildlife and that alone keeps them pretty busy. I think there's nothing on Earth that rivals it.
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory on Sun May 31, 2015 10:06 am

It sure would have been riveting to see Rory use lie of omission on the majority of his own kind known by him to be living on the continent. Alas, it's not meant to be, and kind of against his principles.
Rory

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson on Sun May 31, 2015 7:22 pm

Yeah, definitely. But then again going against his own principles is also a compelling choice, just like Sisko in the DS 9 episode "In the Pale Moonlight."
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia on Sun May 31, 2015 8:13 pm

*frantically tries to decide how to respond to Kolson's post*

Archengeia's Custom Rules Documents
Battle Grid, updated regularly

Rule 0: We're all here to have fun.
Rule 1: GM's word is law.
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson on Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:15 am

So, while I think about my answer to Lefftenant's earnest plea, did you ever decide if Kolson has the knowledge necessary to solve the economic crisis?

I mean, me the player, I've studied the basics of economics but I'm not a master or anything. That said, we both know player knowledge isn't the same as character knowledge and Kolson is a freaking genius and has been thinking about this for a while now.

If you want to talk about it shoot me a pm and we'll figure it out.
Kolson

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia on Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:52 am

Oh, yeah actually I did. There's three ways to fix the Aluvian economy, categorically. Here's the generalized methods;

Method 1: Policy of Infinite Expansion. New markets, new resources, new conquests. All this would require is for Aluvia to continue to expand at a steady, controlled rate, through whatever means (conquest, cultural assimilation, whatever).

Method 2: Autarky. This would require a completely revamp of the entire economic structure, a removal of trade with the other nations, but this is at least possible thanks to the massive variety of terrain Aluvia controls and the massive amount of foodstuffs coming in from Eastham. This would also require the removal of the current wealth distribution system, which at the moment has the aristocracy effectively being the only group with real economic backing, as well as effectively restructuring it from a kingdom to a planned government.

Method 3: Cultural or societal revolution. A complete revamp of every single aspect of Aluvian society, with a shift from feudal vassalage maintaining political power and simultaneously being in charge of all the major companies, and controlling the upper echelons of the military. This is effectively hitting the reset button on the economy by switching to a free capitalist economy and allowing for those currently incapable of doing so to try to make their own ways. However, such a situation would eventually (and inevitably) result in the exact same situation Aluvia is in now as a new caste of wealthy consolidate power in the exact same manner that the current aristocracy did back when the Kingdom was formed initially. This would take several generations though, most likely.

As an aside, all of these focus primarily on fixing the economic crisis, not solving the underlying political difficulties Aluvia is facing. For example, Aluvia spends a ludicrous amount of resources, manpower, and money on their military... a thing which is difficult to 'solve' as cutting back would result in a breakdown of assets, flooding of unemployment, disarmament, or any combination thereof. It's also possible the military might not accept having their budget cut.

Archengeia

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:03 am

Method 2 it is. Damn, that's a lot of work we have in front of us.
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:06 am

As an aside it would also occur to Kolson that a good method of 'dealing' with the Aluvian military problem is engineering a situation in which a huge chunk of the Aluvian military is removed from the equation such that they are no longer consuming such a tremendous wealth of resources, time, manpower, etc. and using that as a stepping stone for reforming the nation.

Archengeia

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:09 am

So we have to remove the threat the Tumeroks pose first? Okay... I'll add that to the list.

*scratch scratch scratch*
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:12 am

I was hinting that this process had already started. *cough war cough*

Archengeia

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:13 am

Yeah. Having a huge chunk of the military die makes it easier on the budget.
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson on Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:07 am

Hmm, that is certainly a thing. Well, we will need to help Xahn with some stuff. Perhaps some of that stuff will require some military operations.

In the meant time, we'll just have to keep our eyes and ears open for more opportunities.
Kolson

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss on Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:25 pm

After thinking some more about it, I'm now leaning more towards method 3. Method 2 feels like a form of societal stagnation. I prefer the idea of an economic cycle which is reset every few hundred years.

It's not perfect, but let's face it: nothing ever is.
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje on Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:41 pm

I'd just like to put my 2 cents on the table and say that method 3 is basically asking for a civil war, and if one of the sides of the conflict don't put it to an end quickly, we are going to see Aluvia's remaining economy in pieces.

That said, IF we have the resources to strike a deep wound into whoever is our adversary, the bulk of the army not being here helps tons, yeah.
Essoje

Character sheet
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia on Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:17 pm

Who is your adversary?

Archengeia

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:14 pm

In regards to the battle for Aluvia, I haven't chosen yet. Probably the aristocrats since they would most likely refuse to help the refugees, which in turn would make it impossible for me to destroy my true enemies.

I don't expect many of you to follow that logic. Razz
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:05 am

Arch, where do the aristocrats keep their money? In banks? And if they do, what would motivate them to move this money into a bank run by an organization such as the Exchange, except the exemption of taxes? Or would that reason alone be enough?

Roll political knowledge.
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia on Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:02 am

Banks aren't really a thing since usury doesn't exist in the economics of Primus for reasons that'd take a while to explain (short version: static circulation and zero inflation). Most keep their currency tied up in goods, with hard currency usually squirreled away either in Reliquaries, vaults, chests, mattresses, bags of holding, and the like.

Archengeia

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory on Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:11 am

I'm starting to think that 'noble' wealthy patron at the bar I ran into that one time might not be just some random rich snob. My plan is to meet the Blackbrine contact and negotiate tomorrow, but I may look for that guy again, tail him, and intimidate him to see if he's involved in anything. If he is, gods and elements stand by and watch if he doesn't tell me what he knows. It might be important for me to know what race he is, too. For a little flair in roleplay. Again, all this might happen.

The negotiation with the Blackbrine is this: we agree on a price, and then I show them the money. I promise them a third of it once every refugee who's going is on their ships. Once they reach Osteth, they will write and send a letter a contact of their choice, and to Van in the Exchange, that the job is done. The letter to the contact should arrive to them sooner than the other sent to us. When we receive our letter, I will personally take hub transport at an appointed date to the hub in the hub city(date and location should be detailed in the letter to the contact), which will be the meeting place where I will hand over the rest of the payment for the job. That, or Van will do it instead, if he is allowed access.

I won't actually tell them that we have hub access or that we will use the hub. In relation to it, I only give the date and meeting place. Now's our turn to be mysterious, yes?
Rory

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss on Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:53 am

I'm curious as to how many humans will agree to go to Osteth now that they know the dangers there.
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:24 pm

Maybe I should also inform them of the general temperament of the racial majority(Lugians). I hear that they would get along very well with humans.
Rory

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje on Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:02 pm

I'd say go ahead and do it. God knows they need all the resources they can get in their new home.
Essoje

Character sheet
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next