Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OOC discussion

4 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

OOC discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: OOC discussion

Post by Rory Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:19 pm

Yeah I can do that. I've tried not to in order to avoid these disagreements from happening regularly in fear of them building up, and because I don't like to lose momentum in the game, but that's clearly a mistake.

And yes, the enmity game will come to a head, or it will go away, but it's only fun if Mihai has to keep it between them, much like Fedler is choosing to do (talking to her is fun btw).

But let's talk about what we the players know: Konrad was, and is, a pirate. He has simply been trying to keep everyone from believing he is one, though I'm not sure whether Fedler bought it when she confronted me. It's something he has tried to hide from Zelk, although she assumes he was, is, and always will be a pirate, hence her sudden outburst and storming off. How do you guys feel about this? Has your attitude toward Konrad changed, do you believe Zelk (and possibly Fedler) over him? Or can you go on believing Konrad when he says he's not what he used to be?
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by K Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:32 pm

Well, i think it's all about action, and you won't get it done overnight. But you can certainly get there.

It's just something you have to build.

Like, a few posts ago, you said Konrad's hiding his past has nothing to do with the present conversation. I'm sorry, Rory, but it does. Everything Konrad did up to this point makes him who he is in the eyes of the party.

That doesn't mean he's stuck with it, but it does mean he can't just expect to turn it over overnight.

About Zelk, it would take talking to her. She's not the type to open up, except to Steve. But Rory, let me point out your mistake in dealing with her back there - you just wouldn't let it drop. Even Zeiss made a big defusing post with all the NPCs going about the Faeries, and you wouldn't let it drop. Then Zelk got irritated, and you had to go with "at ease, soldier", and there's no way that wouldn't be taken as a provocation.

Seriously, that's part 2 of Konrad's big problem. There always has to be a parting shot, always a way to gain the upper hand, even if all it means is your "opponent" will be angry or hurt or whatever. This dates all the way back to when Konrad suddenly provoked Saemon, pretty much with the first words he said to him. And often, it serves no purpose other than that.

I honestly don't see how Konrad will avoid getting a negative reaction, if he keeps trying to get the better of who he talks to, in that manner.
K
K

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Monk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:44 pm

On the Zelk thing, she took a big risk being honest in that report, as Konrad himself pointed out, but I don't think there was a person there that didn't know that. But you kept pressing your point until the situation blew up. Which is a betrayal I'll add, because she made sure we got paid for our work as a thank you for how well the mission went. Now Steve is mad at Konrad for doing that to his girlfriend. Now he can't have the two of them together in the future without being caught in the middle and that's even more pressure on an already strained friendship. That's just one of the things he's mad about. This stuff is all connected. See above. That's what he means about fixing it.

From a purely OOC perspective Konrad is pushing the other characters into natural responses that torpedo Konrad's continued participation in the game. I don't want that but it's getting harder and harder to avoid and have it feel like a natural in-character response.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:56 pm

Kolson wrote:On the Zelk thing, she took a big risk being honest in that report, as Konrad himself pointed out, but I don't think there was a person there that didn't know that. But you kept pressing your point until the situation blew up. Which is a betrayal I'll add, because she made sure we got paid for our work as a thank you for how well the mission went. Now Steve is mad at Konrad for doing that to his girlfriend.
Oh I'm sure he is, but as you said, it was a risk that everyone knew, he was just the only one to voice his concern, and when she brushed it off, as did others, it shouldn't be surprising that he pushed it, so I will take that as a plus.

"At ease" wasn't really a parting shot, though. It was a turn-of-phrase he used explicitly to reference her rank, but merely as a "let's please relax now." Not his fault how she responded afterward. He didn't intend to anger her, not ever. I really think she is a bit easily miffed, in no small way owed to her being constantly pranked by Steve back in the day I'm sure.

Way back in the first adventure, personally I had assumed that this wolf had been violent towards the town already and killed a few people, and due to Saemon's young appearance, I wondered if he was actually formerly the next in the chain of command below chief, and that his superior had been killed in action for him to get to that point. So I did ask him both as me and as Konrad because I was genuinely curious if he had to assume command early in his career because the wolf had killed his boss. I did wonder if he was going to get sore about being asked if his boss died, though.

What exactly was the "loose clothes" about, btw? I don't think it ever came up again.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:01 pm

Mihai wears his armor under his clothes.

So... we good to restart RP?
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:05 pm

Zelk's rank is actually lieutenant, an officer. A soldier, or private, is way below that. And since "at ease soldier" is an expression commonly used as an order, Zelk didn't appreciate at all that Konrad would say this to her.

Just thought I would clarify on why she responded this way.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:32 pm

Also, if it helps, I will let you know if Konrad is upset or aggressive. I've been telegraphing his negative emotions or changes in his attitude since we started.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:03 pm

I'll wait for Rory to post before posting next.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:07 am

I don't really know how much I'll be available over the next couple of days. Would it be okay if we took a break until after Christmas?
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:27 am

Yeah, sure. I didn't really expect for this little adventure to advance during the holidays.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:05 am

Thanks man. Merry Christmas to all of you.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:17 am

Ho Ho Ho
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:18 pm

Merry Christmas to everyone!
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by K Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:47 pm

K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:42 am

https://archengeiadnd.forumotion.com/t412p250-2-5-mini-adventure-pretty-women#25257
K wrote:"Konrad, stop embarrassing yourself." - Mihai sighs absentmindedly.

I think you might be misreading the tone. Konrad makes a lighthearted joke, not because he likes the sound of his own voice (which he does), but to diffuse the mood caused by everyone seeing what must be serious inflicted scars not gained in a fight. Then he says it's okay if you don't want to talk about it.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:14 am

It was already talked out and sealed by the time you said that, so i saw no purpose beyond provoking my character, which Konrad is apt to do. By mocking his scarred body that he just found out about, no less.

If that wasn't the intent, i'll say Konrad needs to seriously work on his tact, because that was the tamest reaction i could muster at the time.

I don't care for the drama either, so i'll agree to delete/change mine if you delete/change yours, and get it over with. Deal?

EDIT: Screw it. Merry Christmas.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:38 pm

Konrad's "pest" remark was made to point out the absurdity in his joke theory about where Mihai got the scars. He wasn't being snide. He made a joke, then shifted to a deferential and respectable tone.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:44 pm

It wasn't funny. It was a jerk comment and I responded accordingly. If you can't take it then change your rp and maybe think a little bit before stirring the pot for no reason. I respect that kind of character and your want to play such a character, but it doesn't shield you from consequences. You need to learn to roll with it Rory or you need to change or retire your character. That's it. Make a choice.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:48 pm

Rory, why can you not post something to that effect as Konrad? I gave you what you wanted and changed my post. Again.

You say and do what you want with your character and i have to hold mine back because you don't like him turning the tables on yours. You come here and want me to change stuff, just like you've been doing for ages now. And i do it. And you're still not happy.

I'm at wit's end here.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:38 pm

Fine. I will be more careful with my jokes in the future.

Actually, I think I can change something.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:08 pm

I'm sorry. I wanted Konrad to say something to lighten the mood, I just didn't think it would turn into another thing. He likes to talk, if that wasn't obvious, so he says a lot. In the sense that he'll say not just more words for one thing, but more things with more words.

I did not think Mihai would be so sensitive to a small jab, but whatever happened in Lofell, he does not seem to be over it. Between that and the way I chose to word "if you don't want to tell us what that's about right now, that's fine", I can see how it would sound abrasive.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:31 pm

It's more the timing of it Rory and him not wanting to go into it on the beach in front of everyone. Cracking a joke to lighten the mood could work but you don't make it about the person doing the reveal. You make it about yourself or some innocuous thing. That way you take the focus off of the thing causing the discomfort.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:34 am

Yeah I think it may have been a bit detached. And the timing was poor. I'm not good at making a comment like that off-the-cuff to diffuse tension. In a lot of ways (guess which ways) Konrad and I are very different people.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:09 pm

I guess i should fess up too. I said before that i do have the ability to turn that sort of jest on it's head, and i'd like to be able to have some fun and use it too. Otherwise, it's just Konrad making jabs and me taking it.

Some part of me did consider you might be at a loss for a reply, Rory - which i nevertheless hoped wouldn't be the case - but never for that long, and i figured you'd have likely come up with something IC. But after days passed, and we were taking time off for Christmas, and then you came here and posted that, i was pretty bummed out.

I mean, i'd like to be able to play to my fullest too without worrying something like this may happen. To think that every time i counter like i mean it, it'll mean things grind to a halt, well... i get kinda cornered here. Like, do i just hold back every time? I don't think that's fair.

But you know, we'd been on hold for three days then, so i figured i'd rather take the hit and edit my post so we could all move along. But then stuff develops further, and we grind to a halt all over again.

And it just... sucks. I mean, i wanna see the ball, and what Songbird is all about, and what chance does Peewee have with Breeze (i hope none; rooting for Fluffle) and whether any of the girls swims funny, and all that good stuff.

And i wanna see what Konrad comes up with whenever i fire back a good one. I mean, Steve and i had that bump a while back, and we just rolled with it, and something good came out of it. It's not hard, man, just go at it and see what happens. And if you have anything stuck, we talk it out in chat and sort things out.

And i honestly think we all come out on top if we do that. Me, you, Kolson, Zeiss, we all win.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:13 pm

I've been trying to control the conversation. It just hit me like a bolt out of the blue while replying. God I've been so stupid.

The thing with Konrad is he's trying to be on good terms with everyone right now, and that's something I need to handle on my end. Then again, it doesn't necessarily have to work like he plans. I guess I've been hung up on that, and I gotta let it go cuz plans change and people aren't meant to be predictable. I'm gonna do Konrad better, and I'm going to stop trying to control a conversation, sorry guys.

Now let's all be winners!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGADX3DDnY8
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content