Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Campaign Stuff

+3
Essoje
Zeiss
Archengeia
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Campaign Stuff - Page 2 Empty Re: Campaign Stuff

Post by Kolson Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:46 pm

I put it under feats and racial stuff. Anyway, is it still +4 or did you revise that? Are you making new sheets for us? I'd love to take a look at it. Is the info for the new rule set available to read yet?
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:47 pm

Approval on Renewing Rage.

The Advantage thing... I'll be okay with. I get final call on whom it applies to though. I'm leaning towards no to the Olthoi since they don't apply as an institution, sovereign state, or major faction, but we'll see.

I glanced at gear, didn't see a +1 Will shirt so that's my bad. That's such a tiny boost, just delete it, no new benefit. As for Refined Control, give yourself a permanent +3 to DEX instead of the Reflex.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:54 am

Archengeia wrote:Approval on Renewing Rage.

The Advantage thing... I'll be okay with.  I get final call on whom it applies to though.  I'm leaning towards no to the Olthoi since they don't apply as an institution, sovereign state, or major faction, but we'll see.
Yeah, I didn't think so. Advantage shouldn't apply to such people I do trust who do things that offend me. Becomes too broad.

How's my sheet, can you read it fine?
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:37 am

@Kolson: The built in sheet thing is almost totally uncustomizable, it's a bit aggravating. I admit that's part of why I was surprised people were still using it, I was expecting people to be using google doc spreadsheets by now. So short answer, not much I can do with the built in one. And yes it's still +4 to Weaving.

@Rory: Sheet looks fine to me
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:47 pm

@Archengeia: I have mine done, please check if the career feats are acceptable on my character sheet. Leave a comment on the problematic feat as they appear.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:38 pm

Gotta admit, I'm curious to see how my heavily skill based character sheet will turn out, whenever we get down to it.

In the meantime, I'll keep doing my vacation thing.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:51 pm

Yeah that reminds me Zeiss, I have no access to edit your sheet.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:38 pm

Oh.

Well, I'll spare you the details, but because of where I am right now, I cannot give edit access. Please just download the file and throw it back on the forum when the changes are done. I'll make sure to use the updated file when I'm back home.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:21 pm

I used the forum one so you'd always have access to it. It was a convenience thing. I don't mind making my own, I just need to know the elements I need to include; besides the obvious equipment and general info of course.

So we have the old Str, Dex, etc part, does that still work the same?

Something called Career Points. What's that? What do I need to know about that at a glance from a character sheet? Should I leave room to describe what each thing does? If not, where is the info located?

Are we using my Trait idea or is that career points now?

See what I mean about wanting info about elements of the game? Have you compiled such a thing for players yet and can I read it?
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:19 pm

Just realized I didn't answer Kolson's question. Admittedly right now the iterations on the ruleset haven't been collated anywhere yet, it's all up here *taps head*. Sis, Gwydo, and Third are using google spreadsheets to keep track of it. At some point, in my copious spare time, I plan to basically write the rules again from scratch with the last several years' worth of changes. For now most of my 'spare time' is going into adding stuff to the wiki, finally start getting more of that lore down.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:08 pm

I remember when I got that Will Save shirt. I just went up to Kezrinthka and said "here, can you magic this?" This was when I was thinking of going Berserker, but I think sticking to my Barbarian+Pugilist mix will do me just fine. You should give Xahn back the crafting points she spent on that shirt.

Question about Power Attack for y'all. How useful do you find it? I never liked the idea of sacrificing to-hit points to get more damage. What's the point if I'm less likely to hit, right? If you're going to do more damage, you're gonna want to actually hit them, and less to-hit makes that less likely. And I'm just like, "well, I wanna hit the guy!"
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:28 am

I'm not sure how useful it is in Arch's custom rule set but in standard 3.5 D&D Power Attack is the number one way for melee fighters to raise the damage they do per attack. That's why I advised you many moons ago to use your ax two-handed when you found yourself in a serious fight; it gets the most benefit from the feat. It also leads to the Cleave and Greater Cleave feats, which are useful for clearing out mobs of weaker enemies.

Did you ever wonder why Snarg did so much single guy damage? Power Attack and a few other feats were why.

As for your worries about hitting, that's why melee warriors are best served working the angles. Charge whenever you can. Flank with an ally whenever you can. Knock dudes on their butts for the prone bonus to hit. Try to do all this while you are Raging. And this isn't even getting into the feats, buffs, and debuffs that your party can help with. No, it's ridiculously easy to keep that attack roll up. Don't be fooled by the penalty, it's negligible in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing and who is playing with people who also know what they are doing.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:48 am

Hmm, hmm. With the feats I currently have alone, it should be much easier for me to leave a threatened square to flank someone and avoid the oppy. And my BAB is getting high. Power Attack is just begging for it.

So, I found the Diehard feat, and I'm feeling pretty stupid now. I realized my Recovering Rage feat functions the same, except that I'm turning 1 temporary hp into real hp and then rolling to see if I keep it. And that it requires Rage. I'm also thinking a minute between each regen is a long time for a feat meant to give me a fighting chance at the end of a Rage... Any recommendations? I feel like this needs to be addressed. Preferably soon.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:35 am

Ok, so i was kinda busy when this thing was in full swing, and honestly this kind of math intimidates me, so i kinda just tiptoed past it, but the other day Javan unleashed a lightning storm of doom upon a construct, and my own character has had some nasty build deficiencies that i've been wanting to slap myself over for some time now, so it'd just be sheer stupidity of me not to bite down and try to sort this out.

So uh... how can i go about taking advantage of this system (or maybe i'd best do it via PM)? I get that you get career points, depending on what you've been doing, and that you can exchange them for feats (or attributes?). I've got a major hole to plug on my build, if possible, but i'd like to know what i can work with, if that's ok.
K
K

Character sheet
Class: Monk

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:54 pm

I honestly got nothing on Rory's dilemma, part of why I didn't respond to it earlier.

@K, did I tell you you had any career points that you haven't distributed yet? And yes a career point can be turned into an attribute point or a custom feat.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:32 pm

Uh, no. Not unless i missed something in the previous page, and i just searched it and doesn't seem like it. Only time Career points are mentioned to be attributed is in regard to Rory and Javan - i haven't actually used any; unless i get none. Like i said, i largely missed this discussion when it was happening. It's my bad.
K
K

Character sheet
Class: Monk

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:01 pm

Ah, right. Sooo you already took so many Feats, you don't have any spare Career Points. That's why.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:54 am

Now that I'm back home, I've been able to change the access level of my character sheet. You can edit it now Arch. The link is in my signature.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:50 pm

Half-elves get two bonus skill (ranks?) to start and one bonus skill per level. With skills gone, do we assume that these increases translate to Advantages instead? Or do these bonuses to skills stay and apply as they would to skills, not necessarily being skill ranks?

I've heard you say you've had ideas for PC blue/violet mages pitched to you and you've turned them down, and I would like to test that myself, for a Blue Mage character. Not because I want to play one, but I would like to try my hand at being "that one player who could". If I succeed, maybe you could store it as a premade character.

Give to me a rough outline of these proposed characters and why you turned them down, so I may propose something new. Unless you don't remember. That is fine.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:51 am

I honestly don't remember most of the Blue Mage attempts, except for "But it's me!" kind. As for Half-Elves, instead of the starter skills and bonus skills they just flat get another career point to go into a feat or attribute.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:40 pm

Heh, that's a shame, and thanks.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:57 am

At first I thought it had to do with hiding the power a blue mage has, but the fewer allies a blue mage has in battle, the less effective he is with his magic, until he pretty much can't cast any magic unless he has any permanently learned spells/abilities.

In lore, this matters. If a blue mage cares about who knows he is one, or whether he wants to draw attention to himself, he has to decide whether the people he travels with or fights alongside to be discreet. However, this is a roleplay issue and not a mechanical one. A good DnD group's players are trustworthy and supportive (maybe prickly at first), making it a short-term solution. After all, barbarians will Rage, rogues will Sneak Attack, wizards will nuke their enemies, and so too will blue mages cast blue magic. It is unavoidable; it is their destiny.

A long-term solution can be theoretically possible if one directly addresses the versatility or the potency (or both) of a blue mage's power if a player wants to play as one. I've created some flaws to do just that. They might be too debilitating, I don't know, but if so, perhaps they can instead be applied to one or a few schools of magic or types of abilities instead of all of them. And maybe, at GM's discretion, these flaws can eventually be overcome as it pertains to a blue mage using blue magic. One or add more math as well, which may not be tolerable after Arch's changes to his system, which were meant to reduce math strain.

One more thought: perhaps a flaw could be made that a blue mage can take, that treats his spells like wild magic - a chance of something going wrong. Basically, each of the flaws in question can cause people to view the blue mage having unstable control over his powers.

In short: make flaws mandatory for blue mage PCs.

Blue Mage draft:
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down