Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions For The GM

+12
Permeus (tabran)
Sethos
K
Rory
Zeiss
Essoje
Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin)
Gwydo
Snarg of Wildpaw
Kolson
Araiguna
Admin
16 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Questions For The GM - Page 5 Empty Re: Questions For The GM

Post by Sethos Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:26 pm

Vorodill wrote:You only have 28 points, unless you have a bonus because of your race. I'm an elf and I get +4 skill points at first level.

Okay, thankyou. This is just a side question but why, if these are all my points, is this based only on my INT roll? What are the other five rolls for?
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Water
Class: White Mage
Race: Burun

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin) Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:27 pm

Those points you have are for skills, not stats. Your skills are things like weaving, or survival. there should be a table of them on the right side of the character sheet

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Spacial
Class: Green Mage
Race: Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:33 pm

In other words :

Your six rolls are for your attributes (or stats) points. STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS and CHA.

You put the six numbers you got from your rolls in the attribute you want.

If I got 18, 17, 16, 15, 15 and 13, I can choose in which attribute they go, like that :

STR :18 ;
DEX :15 ;
CON : 17;
INT : 15 ;
WIS : 16
and CHA : 13.

As for my SKILL points (not the stats ones) I will look at my INT modifier. It will be +2 because I have 15 in INT. So I take my formula for my rogue (8 + Int modifier) ×4 and it gives me 40.

So I get 40 skill points, which is more than you cause my formula isn't (4+ INT modifier) x 4.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:36 pm

Hanuel and Dara wrote:Those points you have are for skills, not stats. Your skills are things like weaving, or survival. there should be a table of them on the right side of the character sheet

Yeah that's what I'm talking about, I'm populating the skills table with numbers and it costs less numbers for me to get a rank in certain things because of my class. I rolled six D6s five times each, subtracted the two lowest numbers after changing 1s to 6s, added the remaining three numbers and ended up with six numbers in the end which I am now assigning to abbreviations to the left of the table that I'm populating with numbers to buy ranks. My question is, what is the table of abbreviations to the left for?
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:38 pm

I don't know what you mean by "table of abbreviations". On my screen (it's a big screen), everything is to the left. Can you describe it?

XD
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:42 pm

Vorodill wrote:I don't know what you mean by "table of abbreviations". On my screen (it's a big screen), everything is to the left. Can you describe it?

XD

XD The table that reads
Basel Bonus
STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

I undertsand what I'm supposed to put in there, I just don't know what it's for.
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin) Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:46 pm

okay, easy example. We'll use STR. lets say you have a STR of 16, which has a modifier of +3. Now, lets say, for the purpose of this example, swim is a class skill, and you had 3 ranks in it. Now you have to make a swim check. Each rank in swim gives you a +1 on your roll. Because swim is governed by STR, you also apply your STR modifier to that check. So, your total bonus for swim checks is +6

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:49 pm

Hanuel and Dara wrote:okay, easy example. We'll use STR. lets say you have a STR of 16, which has a modifier of +3. Now, lets say, for the purpose of this example, swim is a class skill, and you had 3 ranks in it. Now you have to make a swim check. Each rank in swim gives you a +1 on your roll. Because swim is governed by STR, you also apply your STR modifier to that check. So, your total bonus for swim checks is +6

Ooooooooh, see, now that makes sense. Although, why do we need to write down the original numbers from the rolls if we're only using the modifiers?
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:51 pm

Don't think about it. Just write it down and roll with it. That's like sex. You accept things as they come. What a Face
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin) Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:52 pm

Sethos wrote:
Hanuel and Dara wrote:okay, easy example. We'll use STR. lets say you have a STR of 16, which has a modifier of +3. Now, lets say, for the purpose of this example, swim is a class skill, and you had 3 ranks in it. Now you have to make a swim check. Each rank in swim gives you a +1 on your roll. Because swim is governed by STR, you also apply your STR modifier to that check. So, your total bonus for swim checks is +6

Ooooooooh, see, now that makes sense. Althought, why do we need to write down the original numbers from the rolls if we're only using the modifiers?
Because as you level, you'll be able to add to your stats, or some things may drain them, and that makes it so that you have to lose/gain 2 stat points to gain a modifier drain/boost.

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:56 pm

Hanuel and Dara wrote:Because as you level, you'll be able to add to your stats, or some things may drain them, and that makes it so that you have to lose/gain 2 stat points to gain a modifier drain/boost.

Like he said. albino

Ok, my turn. I talk to the GM (or the barbarian who seems to know a lot).

What must I use to determine my Martial to Hit? I have no idea. I look at the stats of my weapon? Something else entirely?

And to Archengeia specifically : I have 90 golds and would like to buy an armor before we start the tutorial. Abd I don't know how much it costs. I want the Chittick hide. king
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin) Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:58 pm

Vorodill wrote:
Hanuel and Dara wrote:Because as you level, you'll be able to add to your stats, or some things may drain them, and that makes it so that you have to lose/gain 2 stat points to gain a modifier drain/boost.

Like he said. albino

Ok, my turn. I talk to the GM (or the barbarian who seems to know a lot).

What must I use to determine my Martial to Hit? I have no idea. I look at the stats of my weapon? Something else entirely?

And to Archengeia specifically : I have 90 golds and would like to buy an armor before we start the tutorial. Abd I don't know how much it costs. I want the Chittick hide. king
In terms of armour, go to www.d20srd.org and in the armour section look at how much each piece costs. Then multiply that by 5 to get the cost for chittick.

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:03 am

Oh thanks. That's what the value modifier was for. I'm an idiot.

Only the martial to Hit that I don't know hoe to calculate. cyclops
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:07 am

Since I can't find it anywhere, can anybody tell me what, if any, bonuses I get for being a burun? If you'd rather just point me in the direction of the article on it that'd work too.

EDIT: Also how do skill bonuses work?
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:14 am

For the Burun race bonus, you'll have to ask Archengeia.

Skill bonuses work like this :

Acrobatics has dexterity as its main attribute and is a class skill for the rogue. I put 4 skill points in it so I get 4 ranks in Acrobatics. Because my dexterity is 18, I have a DEX modifier of +4.

This +4 is my bonus for acrobatics. So I have 8 in this skill.

You can have other bonuses that comes from feats and equipment.

I hope it's clear.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:32 am

Vorodill wrote:For the Burun race bonus, you'll have to ask Archengeia.

Skill bonuses work like this :

Acrobatics has dexterity as its main attribute and is a class skill for the rogue. I put 4 skill points in it so I get 4 ranks in Acrobatics. Because my dexterity is 18, I have a DEX modifier of +4.

This +4 is my bonus for acrobatics. So I have 8 in this skill.

You can have other bonuses that comes from feats and equipment.

I hope it's clear.

It is, thankyou very much.
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:45 am

Since max in any rank is (lvl+3), does that equation refer only to the rank achieved by adding skill points before attribute bonuses?

Vorodill wrote:Ok, my turn. I talk to the GM (or the barbarian who seems to know a lot).

Whis Kor wrote:This is something that Archengeia has introduced so I will quote the section on that:

Magusien Rules Reference wrote:Whirling Accuracy is a new rule for all martial classes, and is described herein rather than replicating all the BAB charts for every martial class available. The martial classes successive attacks after the first are now only -2 from the previous attack in to-hit terms. To explain by example, a normal Fighter at lvl 12 would have +12/+7/+2. A lvl 12 Fighter with Whirling Accuracy would have +12/+10/+8 instead.
I think that can be taken to mean that all martial classes have a -2 martial to-hit. I'm still confused about configuring martial damage on the char sheet. In fact, I still have a number of things to work on since Arch's reply to my entry in the char thread(had to give up the pc for a few hours), so yeah...
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin) Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:57 am

Yes? I'm not sure what you mean by your question. You have 3 ranks in swim. That's a +3. Then, because in the example, your STR is 16, you get another +3 on all STR-related checks. Swim is STR-related, so you get +3 from having 3 ranks in it, and another +3 from your strength for a total of plus 6.

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:08 am

Since max in any rank is (lvl+3), does that equation refer only to the rank achieved by adding skill points before attribute bonuses?
Yes. You could have 4 ranks in a skill and a +3 bonus for a total of +7. The limitation is only on ranks AKA the number of skill points you invest in that skill.

I think that can be taken to mean that all martial classes have a -2 martial to-hit. I'm still confused about configuring martial damage on the char sheet. In fact, I still have a number of things to work on since Arch's reply to my entry in the char thread(had to give up the pc for a few hours), so yeah...
What he is referring to is that as you advance in level you get more chances to attack every turn (you usually only get 1 at lower levels so you don't need to worry about that right now), but every time you try to hit after the first attack, it is made with a -5 modifier to your chance to hit. e.g. my first attack is at +6 to hit, but my second attack during that same turn is only a +1 to hit. What his changes mean is that instead of doing +6 and +1 you do +6 and +4, making it only a -2 instead of a -5.

Martial damage is just whatever damage you do with whatever weapon you have equipped. e.g. if I have a sword that does 1d6 + strength damage then my martial damage is 1d6 + strength.

Edit: Derp, I wrote -4 instead of -5, but the concept is the same. Post modified to be more accurate.

Last edited by Whis Kor on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:24 am; edited 4 times in total
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Fire
Class: Barbarian / Ranger / Bloodhound / Geomancer
Race: Gnoll

http://thethirdgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:19 am

So I don't bother with the martial to hit for now? Ok, simple enough.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:56 am

Sorry about the delays, dealing with RL stuff.

Sethos wrote:Since I can't find it anywhere, can anybody tell me what, if any, bonuses I get for being a burun? If you'd rather just point me in the direction of the article on it that'd work too.
I need to add racial stat bonuses to that document at some point. Going to try to get that all done tonight. For now: A Burun has +1 WIS, +3 CHA, +2 skill points to start, and Darkvision. As an addendum, Burun also have a slower move speed than normal, 20'. Since you probably don't know exactly what that means: Move speed refers to how much distance you can cover in a single turn normally. You can go slower (half that distance) if you're being careful or tumbling, faster if you're booking it (double), or MUCH faster if you're going all out (which is triple and you can only do it for so long, and in a straight line). In general 20' means you can move roughly 4 squares on the grid per turn.

Whis Kor wrote:
Yes. You could have 4 ranks in a skill and a +3 bonus for a total of +7. The limitation is only on ranks AKA the number of skill points you invest in that skill.

What he is referring to is that as you advance in level you get more chances to attack every turn (you usually only get 1 at lower levels so you don't need to worry about that right now), but every time you try to hit after the first attack, it is made with a -5 modifier to your chance to hit. e.g. my first attack is at +6 to hit, but my second attack during that same turn is only a +1 to hit. What his changes mean is that instead of doing +6 and +1 you do +6 and +4, making it only a -2 instead of a -5.

Martial damage is just whatever damage you do with whatever weapon you have equipped. e.g. if I have a sword that does 1d6 + strength damage then my martial damage is 1d6 + strength.

Edit: Derp, I wrote -4 instead of -5, but the concept is the same. Post modified to be more accurate.
Th3Third is spot on here with his Martial To-Hit. Sorry about the delay, but it generally only applies to any martial class. If you are playing a mage type class you don't get bonus attacks per round so this basically doesn't apply to you (in the case of a mage, Martial To-Hit is basically your BAB plus any magical bonuses like wielding a +1 quarterstaff).
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwydo Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:25 pm

What is the average life span of a Lugian?
Gwydo
Gwydo

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Life
Class: Paladin
Race: Lugian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:56 pm

Archengeia wrote:Sorry about the delays, dealing with RL stuff.

Sethos wrote:Since I can't find it anywhere, can anybody tell me what, if any, bonuses I get for being a burun? If you'd rather just point me in the direction of the article on it that'd work too.
I need to add racial stat bonuses to that document at some point. Going to try to get that all done tonight. For now: A Burun has +1 WIS, +3 CHA, +2 skill points to start, and Darkvision. As an addendum, Burun also have a slower move speed than normal, 20'. Since you probably don't know exactly what that means: Move speed refers to how much distance you can cover in a single turn normally. You can go slower (half that distance) if you're being careful or tumbling, faster if you're booking it (double), or MUCH faster if you're going all out (which is triple and you can only do it for so long, and in a straight line). In general 20' means you can move roughly 4 squares on the grid per turn.

So these bonuses, are these added to the skills table or the stats table? I'm guessing the +2 skills go into the skills table because that makes sense, but do I put the WIS and CHA into skills as well or add them onto my bonuses in the left hand table?
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:18 pm

Yes, the +2 skills go in to the skills table.

The WIS and CHA go in to the left hand table.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Fire
Class: Barbarian / Ranger / Bloodhound / Geomancer
Race: Gnoll

http://thethirdgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:19 pm

Whis Kor wrote:Yes, the +2 skills go in to the skills table.

The WIS and CHA go in to the left hand table.

I would hug you if I could.
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down