Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2nd adventure: Proxy War

4 posters

Page 9 of 30 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19 ... 30  Next

Go down

2nd adventure: Proxy War - Page 9 Empty Re: 2nd adventure: Proxy War

Post by Rory Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:30 pm

Konrad puffs his pipe long and slow. Straight to business faster than a man can think, then? There is no pretense with you, is there? Not so much as a 'hello, we need to talk'?

"Hi to you too." He puts the pipe down. "What do you mean?"
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by K Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:37 pm

"This mission meant nothing to me. This ship gave me nothing but grief, and then tried to steal what i hold most dear. And with you being the heart of the ship, i couldn't forgive you either. But i can't hold you responsible for that. And i did, and i apologize."
K
K

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Monk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:09 pm

Interesting. A ship is a ship. 'Steal what he holds dear'? What does he mean? "It relieves me to hear you say that, Mihai. We definitely do not need the tension going forward where we are now. Apology accepted."

"We're mercenaries. Sometimes our jobs will take us places we don't want to go." He leans forward, placing his elbows on the table, and makes a bridge with his hands for his chin to rest on. "Tell me what vexes you. I always have sympathy to spare for my fellow man."
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:21 pm

Mihai considers. Then...

"No offense, but that interrogation back there was completely mishandled. First you accommodated him, then you asked questions you already knew the answer to, wasting your shots to get what you really wanted. You also talked too much to him, allowed him to get a read on you while he was mostly inscrutable the entire time. When your target can get into your head instead of the other way around, you've already lost."

He pauses, for emphasis.

"Besides, the more you start resorting to pain, the less reliable your information becomes. The target will start to say anything just to get a reprieve while you confirm, and in that case back there, he could have told you Kira had gone to Lorinth and you'd have had no way to confirm it in time. The only place you should ever have to break your target is in his head. Not just to avoid causing unnecessary harm, but to ensure you get the results you want."
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:08 pm

Konrad drums his fingers on the table, patiently, keeping time. Cordiality and patience in the wake of his spoiled temper. He stands up and leans against a counter beneath a cabinet behind him. No, not going to talk about it, apparently. Just going to give me a critique, very well.

"I disagree. I knew exactly what I was doing. Carrot before stick, as they say. I was just giving the stick a wind-up. Be polite, offer a hope spot, and you'll find the stick hits harder than it would have otherwise. Methinks you would have heard that for yourself if you listened through the door... But as I said earlier, we should both be thankful Breeze was able to find dirt on him as quick as she managed. So you see, not my preferred method for the reason stated, but above it I am not. Now, I knew the answer, sure, but did he? I had to decide how we were going to play this first. Maybe he knew nothing about her."

"He might have opened up about that without you dragging your knuckles right behind him." His voice turns sour when he offers his own criticism. "Perhaps my mistake was leading with that pretense; it gave him a chance to make our job harder, and stall for time. I'll grant that one. Probably should have just dropped her name and called her a pirate in front of him to see how he reacted."

"Knowledgeable about the subject, are you? One wonders how. Feel like sharing?"
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:16 pm

"Sorry, but that's not something i'm fond of dwelling on. I'll just say i've seen both approaches, and learned mine so i'd never have to use yours. If you don't want it, that's fine. Honestly, i never want to have to go into that again, one way or the other, so i'll happily leave the room next time and leave you to it."

He pauses for a second, then adds.

"I know you want me to talk about something else, and it probably frustrates you that i don't. I'm sorry for that. Maybe some other time, when we're not so serious, and about to take our lives into our hands."
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:37 pm

"I understand. I have the utmost respect for a friend's will to keep personal matters private, as you avoid laying blame where it's undeserved. I don't know what the Barracuda could have to you, but she's just a ship, mate," he chuckles.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:44 pm

Mihai pauses for a second at that one.

"Yeah. Maybe." - he muses absentmindedly - "Either way, Captain, if you don't mind, i have preparations to make. All this salt water means i have to care for my gear twice as hard."
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:56 pm

"Good, keep at the ready." I know I will. "Won't be long until that storm's upon us."
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:02 pm

Mihai looks up as he hears the distant thunder - "Yeah."

Then takes his leave.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:19 pm

Steve and Zelk:
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:56 pm

Konrad and Zwei:
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:17 pm

Mihai and Zywia:
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:35 pm

In the middle of the night, amidst a storm which momentarily lights up the horizon in a crackle of thunder, the Barracuda is navigating the tumultuous waters of the Enclave, being hurled around the waves like a toy. Captain Akim is at the helm, shouting orders at the crew to keep the vessel afloat. Luckily, the ship is now entering Nomad's Cove, the bay that is found between two islands, where the waters are shallower, and thus much easier to navigate. Whenever lightning strikes, the party can see the silhouettes of these islands in the distance.

"Ship at ten o'clock!" yells Edward, who can barely be heard under the cacophony of the storm. "All hands, prepare combat stations!"

The crew immediately scampers off to ready the canons at the sight of this heavy frigate, which is only twelve hundred meters away from the Barracuda. There's no trace of the merchant ship the Lorinth agents were supposed to go meet Kira Paddle with.

"Captain!?" shouts Edward. "What is our approach!?"

Ice, her squad, and the rest of the party is all on deck.

"That's not as fun as in those books!" comments Breeze, who's holding for dear life on Steve's shoulder.

Konrad only:
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:28 pm

"I don't remember people fighting in storms though, Blue. I wonder what the Captain has in mind?" He looks to Konrad, waiting to see what he'll do.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:11 pm

"We're getting clear of her cannons first, Edward. Veer to portside, roll out the guns!"

With the wind at their backs, the crew have advantage of speed and maneuvering vs Kira's vessel. When the Barracuda's broadsides are aimed at the enemy ship's aft, Konrad barks the order to fire.

Steve, Konrad, and Mihai are pretty smart dudes. We put our Intelligence together to roll for tactical maneuvers.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:30 pm

Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by K Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:49 pm

Mihai gets a running start off the deck, grabs a line as he jumps and swings onto the enemy vessel. As he lets go of the line he reaches and draws the massive blade of Waterglass, a magical weapon with a blade that appears to be made of transparent ice, in a massive swing that splits a hapless pirate in two. The blade freezes the rain around it, creating flashes of spraying ice as it is swung around.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:54 pm

The Barracuda successfully took Kira Paddle's ship by surprise, and fired a volley of cannonballs on it before the enemy could do anything. As soon as it was possible, boarding planks were set down, and privateers began to fight pirates; all over a mysterious artifact which was locked away in a mysterious wooden coffin that sat on Paddle's deck.

Fedler, who had climbed on top of the Barracuda's middle mast, made sure to eliminate any threat she deemed serious, such as a man who tried to fire a swivel gun at the party. Zelk, Steve and Konrad made good use of their magic to kill large number of enemies, and Mihai charged into the fray with Waterglass, a greatsword given to him by Saemon, which the mercenary infused with magical energy. As for Zelk's squad members, they used ropes to swing themselves aboard the enemy's vessel to subdue the Lorinth agent sent to buy the artifact. Zywia, a powerful white mage, stayed back on the Barracuda and healed as many people as she could.

The attack was so overwhelming, the pirates had no choice but to surrender, and Kira Paddle angrily let go of her crossbow. Just as the 113th adjunct and Zelk's squad moved to secure the cargo they had been sent to recover, they heard something, or someone, knock from inside the coffin.

"It sounds like a person trapped in there," said Mihai.

The Lorinth agent, a dangerous yellow mage who was immobilized by Eins, scoffed and responded with, "You are wrong. It's not a person."

"What is it then?"

Kira laughed. "An imitation," she replied.

Right at this moment, the whole ship shook, and the Barracuda was pushed away from the other vessel. The boarding planks feel into the water, and a disguised Konrad inched his blade on Kira's throat. "What the bloody hell is this!?" he asked.

"I don't know!" shouted back the pirate captain, who appeared confused.

Whatever was inside the coffin stopped knocking. The rain continued to pour down like a waterfall, and thunder crackled in the sky. This is when giant tentacles rose up from the sides of the ship, slowly tightening their grip on this big wooden toy floating in the middle of the bay.

Then all the party members heard someone snicker.

OOC:
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by K Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:47 am

(just posting what i'll first do when we pick up)

Recognition twitches across Mihai's face - "Snicker!? Talk!"
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:38 pm

"Sorry," says Snicker. "Couldn't resist."

All three of you heard that. The tentacles move to attack.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:57 am

The tentacles of the sea creature didn't lose any time, and started to crush the privateers and pirates like pulp. Then they went for the middle mast, and wrapped themselves around it. In the process, it pushed the coffin aside, and whatever was inside started to punch its way out of its wooden cage. While this happened, the rest of the party did their best to repel the sea creature, using magic and swords to injure its long limbs. Litters of blood spilled out of those wounds. At one point, the creature was so angry that it broke the mast in half, and flung Mihai across the ship. He broke a few of his ribs, and taken a lot of damage, but it could have been a lot worse if it wasn't for the pirate that took the brunt of the fall; and died because of it.

Just as the party repelled the last of these tentacles, the coffin broke open and revealed what was inside it; a young man in dirty rags, a gag on his mouth, which he promptly took off. He examined his surroundings, and stared down at Fedler who was the only person left near the coffin, but ignored her to return his attention on the tentacles that had risen from the depth for a second attack. This time, the sea creature had a different idea in mind; to take the whole ship down with it.

The man in rags pulled Fedler away from one of the tentacles that was about to crush her, and used his remaining hand to block another tentacle. At the sight of Fedler being in danger, Mihai flew into rage and charged at the two tentacles blocking his path, using his Blessed nature to deal even more damage than he usually would, thus causing the slippy limbs to retreat momentarily. This is when the man in rags threw Fedler into the water, and immediately followed suit. By that point, Kira Paddle, the Lorinth agents, the squad memers, and most pirates and privateers that were still alive (not a lot) had already left the vessel, and the party knew they had to do the same, or they would soon become squid's dinner.

Nevertheless, Konrad made sure to dual-cast fire spells on one of the giant creature's tentacles; a souvenir to remember him by. The flames also reached the sails of the ship, and they started to spread everywhere despite the rain. Steve hurried to Zelk's side to check up on her, took her hand, and jumped off the ship like everyone else. The party members then heard Snicker's voice tell them with a half-reassuring, half-mocking tone, "I will take care of the rest."

They fell unconscious.

The party members wake up on a beach, separated from each other. It's daylight again, and there's not a cloud in the sky. By observing the position of the sun in the sky, it appears that it's around 8 or 9 o'clock in the morning. There is a big island in the distance, impossible to reach without a boat. Except that, there's a forest which they can enter.

OOC:
Mihai only:
Konrad only:
Steve:
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down