Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prologue: To Boldly Go Where People Have Not Been in a Good Long While!

5 posters

Page 18 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Go down

Prologue: To Boldly Go Where People Have Not Been in a Good Long While! - Page 18 Empty Re: Prologue: To Boldly Go Where People Have Not Been in a Good Long While!

Post by Zeiss Wed May 03, 2017 1:54 am

Kathryn had joined her hands together, waiting with bated breath for Carlos to tell her what he saw. She seems puzzled however when he decides to consult with Eninahes first, and being incapable of hearing what is said, she shares a look of concern with Hunter and Jojo.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Prologue: To Boldly Go Where People Have Not Been in a Good Long While! - Page 18 Empty Re: Prologue: To Boldly Go Where People Have Not Been in a Good Long While!

Post by Kolson Wed May 03, 2017 1:56 am

Eni had been talking to Liam, when Carlos approaches her. "What did you see specifically?"
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by K Wed May 03, 2017 2:10 am

"Uh... well, i saw Liam, Tom and Lily" - then breaks mid sentence to address Liam - "Tom's wife was killed by Orcs; need to be careful about that." - he says quickly in one breath, before addressing Enihahes again - "Lily was fine, having a laugh with some guy in a library. Liam..." - he hesitates - "Was happy... teaching a lot of children." - he trails off for a second, unsure of how follow that up - "Doesn't mean he didn't have anyone, i just saw the kids. Especially since afterward i saw Zoe giving Hot Lips an Apple. By herself. And there's no way she's gonna end up single." - he concludes, then takes a breath - "Was still waiting to see Kat, but the last one i saw was looking up at the sky and seeing the stars on the Thief going blue, green and red, then falling down. One by one. Then the Thief was gone for good." - he shrugs in quiet exasperation - "I... don't know what to make of it, let alone what to tell her."
K
K

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Monk
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Wed May 03, 2017 2:16 am

"Well, it shows all kinds of love, whether friendship, familial love, romantic love or even heart break or anguish. But I have no idea why the Thief getting reincarnated into the mortal world would show up. That's strange. And who or what is Hot Lips?"
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Wed May 03, 2017 2:18 am

"Oh, uh..." - he realizes his misstep - "It's Jojo's mule. He's a nice mule; we like him."
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Wed May 03, 2017 2:21 am

"Oh, well if she really likes the mule I see no reason it couldn't show up. Remember, friendship is a type of love. You should all beware though. If you are seeing visions of the Thief of Legend, one or more of you may share a karmic bond with him or her. If you do, you are fated to meet one day."
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Wed May 03, 2017 2:25 am

"Right, well... one crisis at a time." - he sighs, then takes his leave of Enihahes and walks up to Kat - "Oy, walk with me a bit." - he asks, for privacy's sake.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Wed May 03, 2017 2:27 am

Kathryn follows Carlos away from the others. "You really didn't see me? Just those stars?"

She appears troubled.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by K Wed May 03, 2017 2:30 am

"¿Wait, what? ¿You heard me?"
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Wed May 03, 2017 3:39 am

Kathryn and Carlos:
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Wed May 03, 2017 5:42 am

"Hmph. You'll never find love or friendship by reading predictions of mere possibilities of what the future may hold. You've got to figure it out on your own. This vision of the Thief, however, that is concerning. I guess a bond might be guaranteed if a vision of the Thief showed up for another person..."

"Oh, Nine Hells," he grumbles. "I don't look up at the night sky to learn anything more than which way is north and what day of the week it is. Does anyone here know any stories or legends about the Thief? Should we be worried?"
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Wed May 03, 2017 7:03 pm

Eni sits back in her chair. "Yes, that's why I always tell people to take the visions with a grain of salt. Too many people have gone wrong chasing futures they have little, if any, control over.

But the Thief is real. He or she is a trickster of sorts, a being of great power, for the Thief's targets are not just objects of beauty and wealth, but intangibles as well. It's said the Thief can steal laughter from a maiden, the ambitions from a warlord, the color from a painting, an idea from god, their very soul from death itself. Reality bends and shifts to the Thief's desires and many a powerful being with an old grudge or fear of being a target will hunt the Thief as a matter of course.
"
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Wed May 03, 2017 7:40 pm

At the description of legendary Thief, Kathryn winces. "I'm definitely avoiding him. I just wish I knew what he looked like..." She then realizes something. "Oh wait, the constellation falling from the sky, that was a sign of the Thief being reborn, right? This means that what Carlos saw was a vision of the past, not the future. Has to be."

A wave a relief washes over her, and she even manages to get her smile back. "All is good then. Whoever this guy is, I'll just have to avoid him as best as I can!" She picks up the hat that was entrusted to her, and tells Eninahes, "I'll go see Zoe. I'm sure she'll love the gift, but don't worry, I'll be back soon!"

The optimistic girl then approaches Liam to explain the situation, and after waving at Lady of the Well and her ladies-in-waiting, she steps through the newly opened portal.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by K Wed May 03, 2017 8:07 pm

Carlos looks up - "Nope; it was right now." - he points where the Thief was a moment ago - "Pretty sure that chunk of sky wasn't empty last i looked. Now it is."

Carlos looks puzzled for a moment - "So... ¿The Well showed me the present?"
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Wed May 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Allinandra shrugs. "You guys are looking at a mix of dreams and formless fey magic. You're lucky they made as much sense as they did. Or that the folks were as clothed as they are. Half the visions I see in the well make Eninahes blush red as an apple. Why one time I saw Eni-"

"Alli, no!" Eni blushes furiously.

"See, just like that. Anyway, if that happened just now wouldn't it mean the Thief was just born? I don't think you have anything to worry about from a baby."

Last edited by Kolson on Fri May 05, 2017 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Wed May 03, 2017 8:27 pm

Carlos scratches his head - "I don't know, some if them can be pretty nasty. Sounds like that well is a lot of fun on a slow day, though."

He then stows the humor, and gives Enihahes a light bow - "Thank you again for trusting me with your Father's armor. I never received a finer gift." - then takes a step back - "I must see to my friends now."

Carlos will step away and return to the Prime, if Eni gives her leave.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Wed May 03, 2017 8:43 pm

"I should really be getting back too," says Jojo, "I need to water Hot Lips and get the wagon ready."

"I should be getting back as well," says Liam.

Eni looks disappointed. "Oh, okay. Please, come and visit me some more, all of you. It's...nice having visitors who aren't looking for one thing or another. Please, go in peace."

Last edited by Kolson on Thu May 04, 2017 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu May 04, 2017 12:18 am

Hunter chuckles at the banter between the two fey creatures and Eninahes' open embarrassment, and glances at her handmaidens for a hint of sheepishness or sympathy on behalf of their lady.

"If the Thief is on his way, it doesn't sound like there's anything we can do about it. If he steals anything from us, we'll just have to get it back."

"Anyhow, now I am curious. I think I'll look into the Well after all... Does it have a title?"

Insight 11

Are the ladies-in-waiting trying to hide any embarrassment of their own?
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Thu May 04, 2017 6:57 pm

The ladies are whispering to each other and generally trying to stay out of the way. The life (or post-life in this case)  of a servant is generally a boring one, especially when one is expected to play the part of furniture at an official function. Allinandra laughs at Hunter. "Oh, now you're curious. You are speaking to the Lady of the White Well, genius. You do the math."

Rory:

Last edited by Kolson on Thu May 04, 2017 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu May 04, 2017 10:04 pm

"Alright, all kidding aside, I do need to test this theory regarding the Thief."

He smiles at the pair of them in turn as he walks up to the well. "Alright, White Well. Show me what you got. Hold nothing back."

ooc:
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Fri May 05, 2017 9:54 am

Liam walks over to Eyton and opens the portal for home. With a last wave goodbye Jojo walks through. Liam waits for Carlos before heading through himself. If Carlos decides to stay a little bit longer Liam will wait for him patiently unless told otherwise.

When Hunter looks into the Well, he is greeted by the reflection of himself and of the night sky above. Just when he thinks it isn't going to work the visions begin...

1. The reflection of the night sky in Eni's domain fades into another, and open field upon which 8 wagons have been encamped in the shape of a rough half-circle. Of the thirty or so people gathered around the 4 great fires, Hunter picks out humans, elves, tieflings, dragonborn, halflings, as well as six more of races he's never seen. They are all united by similar dress, bright colors, head scarves, poofy dresses or pants, and long sashes tied around the waste or neck. But the thing that stands out the most is their coal-black eyes marking them as Vistani. They eat dinner, tell jokes, dance and sing and generally make merry for tonight is a celebration.

The bride and groom sit near the matriarch of this clan, two humans, a man and a woman, and a wizened old Tiefling respectively. The man is dashing in his finery, his long dark hair oiled and braided, his silks a mixture of reds, blues, and whites. he laughs easily and often. The bride is dark haired beauty, her skin a sun kissed brown and her dress of white silk with blue and gold trim. She wears a lot of jewelry, some gifted from her mother but most borrowed from the rest of the clan. Rings, necklaces, earrings, way more than a person would normally wear but somehow Ludmilla pulls it off. She takes Milosh's hand and he squeezes it back. She takes comfort in his strength.

2. As vision 2 fades ripples and fades into view Hunter recognizes the new location immediately. It's the cramped alleys of the Lower Quay in Fallcrest, a sight familiar from his youth. It is night again, and thanks to a particularly bright moon Hunter has no trouble spotting a three figures in cloaks hurriedly making their way down the street. When they spot the telltale glow of a torch carried by a member of the night's watch, they quickly duck down a different alley, heading east towards the Lower Quay docks. It's easy for the tiefling to guess why this lot are heading that way and he is proven correct when they arrive at one of the warehouses owned by House Azaer.

The cloaked figures move from shadow to shadow, making their way with all stealth towards the two mercenaries set to guard the entrance of the warehouse. Once they have taken up position on either side of the two men, the the third cloaked figure pulls out a handful of pebbles and throws them against the cobblestones. Lured out by the noise the two guards, both men and one a tiefling and the other a human, draw their weapons and carefully move to investigate. When the guards pass the two figures in hiding they quietly break cover and approach the guards from behind, clubbing both of them unconscious with blackjacks. Hunter doesn't envy the headaches those two will have.

The now unconscious mercs are dragged to the dumpsters where they are disarmed, bound, and gagged before being unceremoniously tossed in. Free of the mercs, Cloak Rocktosser makes their way over the door of the warehouse and tries all three keys the mercs had in the lock they find there. No dice. Failing that, he curses, and pulls out a set of lock picks and gets to work. After a few minutes of work the lock pops but before they can go in a voice speaks from above. "Now lads," says a very familiar voice, "Why'd you go an do a naughty thing like that for?"

As the three rogues look up, Hunter's uncle Yorenan comes crashing down atop them, booting two of the would-be thieves into unconsciousness before drawing his twin scimitars and moving to close with the third. For his part the thief rolls clear and tries to beat feet down one of the connecting alleys. "Where do you think you are going you coward?" shouts Yorenan.

Just as it looks like the leader of the thieves might get away, an arrow plunges from the sky and buries itself in his left calf just as he is bringing the leg down. Unable to support the weight, and the force of the blow interrupting his stride besides, the leader takes a bad tumble flying head over teakettle into a the wall of an auxiliary building. The thief is left laid out, unconscious.

"I had him you know!" shouts an incensed Yorenan as he sheaths his swords and moves forward to secure the thief. A few moments later another cloaked figure joins him, helping to secure the other two. Yorenan sighs as he riffles through the pockets of the leader and then pulls back the cloak, "Now who are you lot?" Yorenan's companion takes a torch from the wall of the warehouse and walks it over to the third man, holding the light near his face. "I have no idea who this man is. Looks like we have more work to do."

His companion, a drow woman with a horrible scar over her throat that you don't recognize, shrugs and then points at the moon. "Yeah, yeah. Help me drag this lot to the watch station and we'll get back home." She rolls her eyes and they set about doing just that.

3. The third vision is of Jojo attaching a water bag to Hot Lips so the mule can drink some water. Hot Lips stares directly at Hunter, stamps his left foot, and twitches an ear in greeting. Jojo pats the mule, believing it to be saying hello to himself. You know without a doubt that the mule was saying hello to you. That's when Zoe walks up to see what he is doing. They talk for a bit while the mule drinks and then set about getting the wagon ready to leave. After connecting the mule back up they drive the wagon to the entrance of the grove. The vision ends with them eating some dried fruit from the trail rations.

4.The fourth vision is of the empty night sky, where the Thief constellation would normally be.

5. The final vision is of the White Well itself, except it's another night, very different from this one. A little girl of seven, clearly Eni herself, is playing with an elven woman of unsurpassed beauty.

Eni's Mom:

They are running about playing tag, her mom somehow not tripping in her long and elegant gown. After running around for almost a half hour, in which Eni's Mom pretends she can't catch her daughter, the little girl throws herself to the ground breathing hard. Her mother joins her and sings her a song about a brave knight fighting evil giants until the girl is asleep. Her mom looks over at Hunter and watches him. She neither greets him nor seems particularly disturbed by his presence. She simply snaps her fingers and the vision ends.

As the final vision ends, the water of the Well goes flying up, soaking Hunter and anyone else who was within 10 feet of the Well when the backlash happened. This includes a very unhappy Allinandra. "What in the Nine Hells was that? What did you do?"
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Fri May 05, 2017 11:48 am

Hunter coughs as the water sprays into his nose and mouth, and shakes off the water that hasn't managed to soak.

"What? I don't know. I looked into the well, and that's all."
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Fri May 05, 2017 3:33 pm

Carlos gives Liam a quizzical look, and points his thumb toward the geyser with a "wtf" expression on his face.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Fri May 05, 2017 10:33 pm

Liam shrugs in confusion.

Eni moves closer to the Well and asks, "What did you see Hunter?"

She casts Prestidigitation and begins drying off Allinandra while she listens to Hunter's explanation.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Fri May 05, 2017 11:23 pm

"Okay, first, I think I saw Ludmilla's wedding. I'd never met the man, never knew his name, but I knew he was Milosh then."

"I saw my uncle chasing thieves with a drow partner in Fallcrest. My uncle was surprised when he saw the face of a thief he didn't recognize. But he lives in a hut in Harkenwold, it doesn't make sense."

"And then I saw the night sky where the Thief constellation was. It was empty, so we know now that it must have happened just recently."

"I think we've been here too long. I, we, need to get to Harkenwold as soon as possible. I need to see my uncle."

Fast-talking 6
There's a lie of omission, he's choosing not to talk about the fifth vision.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next