Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Second Adventure 02: The Northern Cave

+10
K
Ashakel
Gwydo
Kolson
Rory
Permeus (tabran)
Snarg of Wildpaw
Z
Zeiss
Archengeia
14 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Second Adventure 02: The Northern Cave Empty Second Adventure 02: The Northern Cave

Post by Archengeia Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:20 am

As morning light hits the windows the small town very sleepily begins to gather itself together. Word spreads quite quickly from the innkeeper to locals stopping by for a drink about the 'random assortment of all types' who came to town the previous night, and many people are anxious to meet the party, believing them to have answered their Bill at last. The Mayor himself, a grey-furred Banderling with one bad eye, comes to the Inn and takes a seat, munching on some hardtack as he waits to greet the group.
It is currently roughly 8 AM, January 26th, Year 348.

Last edited by Archengeia on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Second Adventure 02: The Northern Cave Empty Re: Second Adventure 02: The Northern Cave

Post by Zeiss Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:23 am

Zeiss got up of bed before everyone. He had a good dream about rainbows and gold. It was strange. He went down in to see the Innkeeper for breakfeast when he saw a banderling with one eye looking at him.

"Hello...?"
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Second Adventure 02: The Northern Cave Empty Re: Second Adventure 02: The Northern Cave

Post by Z Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:26 am

*Kezrinthka swallowing the last of her glass of wine having finished her nuts and berries breakfast, stands and extends a hind claw to the mayor.*

"A pleasure kind sir. I am Kezrinthka of Worker. I and my group have come to see what may be done to fix your water issue. We took a look at it last night and see the issue. Perhaps you could provide me with the name of the healer who tends the ill and where I might find them. I would like to have this issue resolve for you as quickly as possible."
Z
Z

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Fire
Class: Black Mage
Race: Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:30 am

The Mayor shakes the Olthoi's outstretched claw a bit hesitantly and glances at the elf before sitting back down. "I'm afraid we don't have a formal Healer here, just a few folks who know their way around medicine. Not that it's helped any," he adds darkly. "My name's Tortha of Seeker, by the way. I'm the Mayor... and Constable." He grins faintly. "We're not much on pomp and circumstance out here, I only got the job because I volunteered."
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:31 am

Snarg slowly stumbles in to the main room of the inn. He cracks his back rather loudly and lets out a satisfied sigh. Realizing a new person was in the room, he perks up and walks over to the Banderling, sitting down next to him. "I ain't seen you yet, hello to ya. Snarg of Wildpaw here."
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet
Class: Barbarian / Ranger / Bloodhound / Geomancer
Race: Gnoll

http://thethirdgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Permeus (tabran) Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:31 am

"Good morrow sir we heard that you are having some..... problems and have come to look into it with the hope that we can help"
Permeus (tabran)
Permeus (tabran)

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Water
Class: Yellow Mage / Rogue
Race: Lycanthrope

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:37 am

The Banderling nods warmly towards the Gnoll and Lycanthrope. "Yes. The problem started up about 6 days ago. We didn't notice quite at first, water tasted funny but otherwise we figured it'd pass. By chance one of the boys was out checking the fields that night, saw the river." He gestures. "Red, like someone was bleeding a dozen oxen into it. Yet the flow never stopped. It goes away during daytime, not sure why, but it's still foul." He gives a pained smile. "We try to gather what water we can in sunlight, but it's clear that even that is hurtin' us. And the crops are getting water via the river itself... Irrigation trails, ditches, you know. So pretty much our whole crop this season is already poisoned." He hesitates, clearly nervous about continuing. "I... already sent some of the boys up to check out the cave. They heard some horrible beast howling in, came back to check in first. That was just 4 days ago, I told 'em to stay put, no sense risking us when we can seek help first. Drafted up the Bill, lotta us donated out of our own pocket to afford it... which, well, isn't much..." At this he hesitates even longer before finally, reluctantly, admitting "...all we have to pay is 2000g."
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:38 am

"The source appears to originate from within the cave nearby," Rory adds to the Olthoi's inquiry. "What can you tell us about it? Do you have a map of it's recesses?"
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:40 am

"2000 gold pieces? Not so bad for such a little town. I expected worse."

And the news about this monster in the cavern was comforting. With luck, it was the source of the problem and killing it would resolve everything.

But so many people were coming around the mayor, it was starting to feel crowded. The innkeeper did not seem to be there. No breakfeast. Irritated, Zeiss went outside. His colleagues would tell him if the mayor said anything remotely useful.

Spoiler:
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:44 am

Snarg has a restrained look as he hears the mayor's words, "Ohh, that ain't good - ya crops I mean. Ya still goin' to be survivin' here even if ya got clean water? Now, if I'm an honest Gnoll, and I am, I'd say ya water's bein' turned elemental like. I took a look last night and it ain't natural poisonin', it's more like transmutin'. Can ya give me a pointer to ya boys? I might be able to see what I'm knowin' 'bout some beasts. 'bout that coin, eh, there's some who might not be likin' that, but I'll talk to 'em."
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:45 am

Zeiss:
Spoiler:
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Permeus (tabran) Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:47 am

"other that us have you had any strangers turn up in the last 2 weeks?"
Permeus (tabran)
Permeus (tabran)

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:50 am

Tortha stands. "I can ring 'em up if you want to gimme a minute, won't take long."
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:51 am

Tabran Cole wrote:"other that us have you had any strangers turn up in the last 2 weeks?"
Tortha shakes his head. "We haven't had any real travelers except the usual people stopping for a spell en route to or from Al-Jalima in months."
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:52 am

"Yeah, yeah, get all ya people that are knowin' about it. Maybe we'll come with ya to speed ya along?"
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Z Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:55 am

*kezrinthka smiles warmly at the mayor despite his announcement on the amount of the reward, she didn't care about money as long as she had enough to continue her adventure. Turning to the rest of the group*

"I'd like to speak with the healers, but I also think the cave needs investigating. Perhaps we should split up? I should think two or three people going into town would be enough. I'll take Kolson and Higaide with me. The rest of you should go up and examine that cave."

*turns to Kolson.*

"WIth your hand as it is you shouldn't be doing anything that might damage it further, and perhaps the healers here could take a look at it."
Z
Z

Character sheet
Class: Black Mage
Race: Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:58 am

The Mayor eyes the odd-looking elvenish thing a moment before responding. "No we don't have a map of the cave, we generally don't head up there anyways. Children playing of course, but nothin past that. To my knowledge there's nothing to it, save the part carved out by the river flow."
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:01 am

"Hmm, that is probably for the best. At least for now. Lead on, Miss Kez."
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:03 am

"Perhaps one of you played in the cave during your childhood?" Rory asked, addressing the observing townspeople. "Unless there are no hidden or out-of-the-way areas, we may need a guide."

Last edited by Rory Vallon on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Permeus (tabran) Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:07 am

"well if we plan on looking in that cave we will need some light as my eyes are good in near dark but not pitchblack"
Permeus (tabran)
Permeus (tabran)

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:12 am

No one steps forward to volunteer for cave guide duty.
After a few minutes, about 12 men of various races, all young, come forward. They look healthier overall than most of the people present, but at the same time very haggard, and it occurs to you that they probably have been avoiding the water and food and are as such quite worn down.
The Mayor introduces them to you cordially. "These are our boys, the local militia. Not much, I admit, but they've kept the place safe against any threats we've seen so far."
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:13 am

"I have some torches I bought in Al-Erat so light shouldn't be an issue, Tabran. I also have some chalk in case we need to mark where we have been."
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:15 am

"Yip, yip, let's see . . . who's been hearin' howlin' at the caves and anyone here knowin' the place 'round and in the cave?" Snarg addresses the line of men, pacing up and down the line.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:19 am

The men look at each other quizzically before one, a young Ogre, speaks in a voice that is both gravely and raspy; it's clear this man hasn't had water in several days. "We all heard the roars," he half whispers. "Couldn't figure what they were, sounded like something horrible. We--" he breaks off into a small coughing fit before recovering himself. "We... hear creatures at night sometimes, hard to avoid being out in the rough like this, but that's coyotes, wolves, 'dillos, shreth... that sorta thing." He shakes his head. "Nothin' like this."
"As for knowin the cave," the Mayor steps in, wanting to keep his men from speaking more than necessary, "Like I told ya we don't go in that cave. Unless," he calls out to the crowd rather loudly, "Does anyone know their way around the northern cave?!"

A few minutes of silence answers him, and he turns apologetically to the party.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:25 am

Snarg looks sympathetically at the Ogre as he finishes speaking.

Spoiler:

"Ooooh, too bad... water might be helpin' anyone wantin' to help me by makin' the howlin' ya heard." Snarg unhitches a waterskin and bounces it up and down in his hand, looking slightly mischievous.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next