Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12-16-13 Post Discussion

+2
Rory
Archengeia
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

12-16-13 Post Discussion Empty 12-16-13 Post Discussion

Post by Archengeia Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:13 pm

Lots of mercantile efforts today, along with confronting Bonebreaker, finding Sareth, and having to shell out money for Thog's incident.  And then... the Light Temple.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

12-16-13 Post Discussion Empty Re: 12-16-13 Post Discussion

Post by Rory Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:12 pm

Since I'm basically in control of Thog's character from here on out, I'll let you all see what I've said in private for Thog to remember when he wakes up:
Rory's message:
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:46 pm

I'm going to write something else when I get back from work, but for now, I would point out to the other players that it would be a good idea to confirm whether your character is going to take the Trial or not. Unless it has already been done in Ventrilo.

In that case, I'll just sit here, silently.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:45 pm

Yeah, that was decided in Ventrilo already.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Fire
Class: Barbarian / Ranger / Bloodhound / Geomancer
Race: Gnoll

http://thethirdgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:20 am

Yeah I'm pretty sure we will all be taking the trial. I think. I will. Not Thog, though. He would cause a major panic just by being awake there anyway.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:31 am

So I wanted to say that I think Arch did a good job playing Sareth. OOC, I found it quite funny the way he was rambling about how he got out of Janwall. He usually talks a lot and I was pleased on how you portrayed him Arch.

Next, I didn't know that Javan looked like an air Aspect... Maybe I read the summary incorrectly. Still, Dragoons use spears and take the Air trial to gain their jump power. Air Aspects also use spears. There is obviously a lore reason behind these two phenomenons.

Before we leave Arwic for the Light Temple, Zeiss is going to send a letter to Sareth. I'll PM Arch about it.

EDIT : oh yeah Arch, you forgot to make Sareth react to Zeiss summoning an Aspect. He knew he wasn't a green mage. But I don't blame you considering I also forgot to mention it. -_-

Let's just say Sareth was like : "Huh, what!?". "Oh yeah, I'm a green mage now..." "...Okay."

Or something along those lines.

*Butterflies come to cover my whole body, making me disappear, then fly away*
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:28 pm

Oh Kolson, if we stayed in Arwic for the night, could you weave the pattern I asked about in the weaving thread a few weeks ago? The one that goes on the front of Zeiss' shirt and on his cloak.

I would give you a big hug if you did. Razz
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:20 pm

He looks like an air elemental to the fairies. They have a unique version of elemental sight that is different from the normal senses people with Knowledge: Elements have. Even though he looks like a scarf-having-crystal-man to us and has a very pure and strong air affinity now, the fairies likely see him more like an elemental. If we disguised him some way they'd still see him the same if that makes any sense.

I could be wrong, but that's how I interpreted it.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:29 pm

Snarg's explanation is pretty on the money.  The Keepers seemed to have some idea of what it might be but they weren't talking (and also appeared to think they were wrong, so shrug).

In related news, I hope everyone is thinking about next moves after the Light Temple.  Lord knows I need to seriously debate certain spoilery individual's next actions.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:18 pm

Yeah, my understanding of how elemental sight works was pretty much this. It's just that I could not have theorized that he looked like an Air Aspect to some fairies from only this.

Wonder what made it happen. The spear? The Dead Wasteland? The anti-Gaerlan stuff?

And now, poor Gwydo is next on the list. Love you man. Hope you don't become some sort of paperweight.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:06 am

@Zeiss: Anti-Gaerlan augment was the cause, as the secret roll happened right at that moment, with the spear being a facilitator maybe. I'm sure that the preemptive air temple visit helped considerably in my case.

The catalyst was the dead wasteland, for sure, in two ways: it shocked Javan because people and elements simply cease to exist, which caused him to stop and think about bad stuff. And then, going outside again caused White Scarf to try and take over the fairy when he was most vulnerable as a mutant.

The two great beings fought a great battle inside Javan's mind with his body at stake, but neither were able to take the advantage for a while. That's when you guys saw Javan being insane. As they perceived that one wouldn't be able to surpass the other, they decided to compromise and do the fusion dance.

And that's how the dragoon Dancing Scarf was born, and all the trees in world heard his wrath, as the Sky commands him to purge the green scourge. And I'm still sure this new character is 100% done with the mutant stuff either.

Oh, and I'm sure Gwydo can still be a badass paperweight.

But yeah, it would suck to have a paperweight Gwydo because usual Gwydo is at a transcendental level of badass paladin-ness.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:51 am

About our next move after our visit to the Light Temple, I'll be going to Glenden Wood, as I said in Ventrilo. It should not tale more than a few hours. Whether Zeiss tells you about this depends on what happens at the Temple.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:34 am

Okay! *Leaves without him*

I think our next thing should be to go meet with Fierneceal. I'm not entirely sure if Fierneceal is supposed to arrive back in the Marblebush mines with the airship today or tomorrow. Now, we could just straight travel there(Exchange Exchange Exchange). Or, we could take...the WABBAJA--I mean, the teleportation route with Rekarg.

Any replies to letters sent from Holtburg may have arrived in the time it took for us to travel from Arwic to the Light temple(I know I asked that a letter to me be returned to Holtburg from Irondell). We need to get that airship back, but I don't feel right about just taking it from the Olthoi. They would probably brand us and send the Order after us to get it back. I think we need to convince them that we need it and prove that we are a responsible group.

That said, if we have time, I believe we should get to a hub, teleport to Yaraq, and go to Danby!

____________________________Below the line: chaos________________________
I've been thinking about this Exchange business for a while, and I would like to ask now. When are we supposed to be able to get this done? We managed to get three towns in a week's time. We need to have at least a whole nation under our control before we take on the big leagues.

There are over 100 towns and villages in Aluvia. Think about that players. We have 4 under our control: 3 towns and 1 city.

Here, I will count. We started on 13th of February, with Holtburg, and gained Irondell+Ritholme on the 26th. That was 13 days ingame.

Now, in real time: Bonebreaker won initiative on April 13th, 2013, 4am CST. Then, we gained Irondel+Ritholme on November 26th, 2013, roundabouts 11pm CST. That was 227 days real time, probably less than 100 when condensed into actual sessions. Somewhere along the line we went from every day to Monday and Tuesdays, you'll forgive me if I don't bother with that.

My point is, I'm feeling incredibly overwhelmed that we are trying to do this as a SIDEQUEST, when our main objective is stopping Gaerlan. It feels like we will be done with him before we've even united the Exchange. I've never thought of it as a minigame, but something else we are supposed to figure out and deal with before our adventure is over. If there's something I'm missing, something that would help explain its interpretation as a minigame, please explain. For example, maybe we're simply not meant to finish establishing the Exchange with these characters, and it serves as an enticement to roll new characters. But then where do the rewards go? And I'll say this flat out, Rory sees no use for the reward he will get out of it, seeing as our names have already been cleared.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:41 am

I still think we are following red herrings all around like a bunch of idiots. I still think Gaerlan is the biggest red herring of them all. I still think we should be working towards getting big allies and becoming BFF with them so we can deal with whatever appears when the red herrings go away.

I don't think of the Exchange like a 'sidequest' that's going to get me some kind of physical reward. Or it even being a sidequest. It's more like one way to get to be friends with Lady Whatsherface, that might help Save The World (tm).

Also Zeiss, remember how we all talked and agreed to stop doing things on our own, and how we have a leader now, IC and OOC? That leader thing did not stop being a thing. Third said 'screw it' to the way he wanted his character to grow just so we could have a leader. So pass that by Snarg, in character please, even if you have to do that in private.

The 'loner' stuff? That has stopped being a thing in our party I guess.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:50 am

...I already talked about leaving the group for a few hours in-game time. In Ventrilo. And as I said, it is only for a few hours. Like going for some shopping. Or Rory going to visit his mother. The only difference is that I am going to use the Hub for this. I can even do it at night, when the rest of you are asleep, depending on where we are.

As for your post Rory... unless I am mistaken, you want to ask Rekarg to teleport us to Marblebush? If I am wrong in this assumption, please feel free to correct me. But first of all, this Dericost teleportation can only go from one Ley Line or Hub to another Ley Line or Hub. And secondly... Rekarg is with Fierneceal. Or should be. At the very least, he's not with us.

And about the Exchange... well, the goal of our party is to defeat Gaerlan. We all agreed to that. But to defeat him, we need to become more powerful. And I see two easy ways to obtain power in this campaign : by levelling up and by acquiring better gear (with gold). To level up, we need to fight enemies of our own level. Expanding the Exchange by conquering other towns like we did in Irondell seems a good way to do so. If you are worried about how much time it will take us to control all of Aluvia, I wouldn't be so worried. We won't fight in each of these towns since Bonebreaker should have started to recruit some soldier who will fight for the Exchange. We would be there only for the very important battles. We can use diplomacy too. Shouldn't be too hard to convince the other factions to join us when we become big enough, like how some nations would ask the officials of Rome if they could be part of their Empire.  And since the caravans should start heading out soon (that's what my letter to Sareth was all about, asking him to send our merchants to the Bazaars; I wonder how he will do it, since Arch is the one playing him), we should get some gold that will help us buy better gear. But conquering other towns would also help our margin profits go up...

As far as I am concerned, I see the Exchange as the main quest for now. Like in Dragon Age, where we go recruit all these races by resolving their problems so that we can be powerful enough to defeat the Archdemon, I think we must conquer the other towns for the Exchange so that we can, one day, defeat Gaerlan.

As for where we should go next, I am against going back to Marblebush. Firstly, because we don't have an Olthoi to speed up the travel through radioactive land. Secondly, because Snarg left a letter with the Olthoi for Fierneceal which explains where to find us : at the Light Temple or Holtburg. And thirdly, because I do not think we have enough arguments to convince the Olthoi to give us the Skyclaw. So I say let Fierneceal find us. She's someone who can take care of herself.

I am in favor of going back to Holtburg, see how much the Exchange has in terms of resources (soldiers and gold) then plan from there. Wouldn't be surprised to find Fierneceal at the Passing Through office, waiting for us.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:19 am

The Olthoi need a scion to use the Skyclaw, at least for now, right? Fierneceal could push for the need of using the ship to facilitate defeating Gaerlan if she info-dumped most of the things we have been through and all we found out. And since they are resistant to mind-control, they make great allies in the anti-Gaerlan department.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:36 am

Oh goddammit why do I keep forgetting that he's with Fierneceal.

Rekarg and Fierneceal and Kez are on the airship. Rekarg and Fierneceal and Kez are on the airship. Rekarg and Fierneceal and Kez are on the airship. Yes thank you, Zeiss, I do remember that it must be Hubs and Ley lines only. I guess that would mean we'd have to revisit Arwic to teleport again. Dammit.

Well if that's the case great. That would be a load off my mind.

Marblebush.

Yes, thank you Javan. But we definitely have to get stronger, so meeting and greeting rivals of the Exchange after meeting up with her is a good way to get started on little "quests", taking care of their problems(hopefully they have some) in exchange for integrating with the Exchange, or merging them if they're hostile.

Entering the arena, and winning, would be a great way to show off to the bloc occupying all of the Naverre provinces. Time spent fighting there could provide good thinking time for our next trials, and the closest temple from Danby would be Water temple. Also, leveling.

I don't know about the whole recruiting races thing, that just sort of seems grandiose. If Arch wants that to happen, it'll happen.

1. Returning to Holtburg from the temple looks like the best option right now, cuz the NPCs will have to go find a hub to to travel to Arwic and then the Light temple, so they will probably go to Holtburg and stay there. Temples are tied to the Ley Lines, right?

2. Afterward, there are two things we can do, after we deal with the stuff there. We can learn from Bonebreaker what we can do for the Exchange(gaining territory or solving problems), or head to Danby and fight in the arena. And even if we do end up arriving late, or discovering that it's already over, Arch will cook something up so that teleporting to the other side of the continent isn't a complete waste of time. Who knows, maybe we'll meet up with Snarg's tribe again, or other shenanigans.

Last edited by Rory on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:02 am

Well, when I talked about recruiting the different races, I was referencing Dragon Age where you have to recruit many factions to defeat the Archdemon and the Blight.

And I had a good time seeing how difficult it is for you to remember that Rekarg is away from the party. Razz

Oh, and yes, the Temples are built on the Ley Lines. I suppose the Scions were trying to gather the Ley Lines energy to protect themselves from the Shadows by establishing zones of "non-violence". After all, killing was possible on the Lassels, where the other Ley Lines were. But it's just a theory.

As for going into Naverre, I think it is a bad idea for a few reasons.

1- I doubt the arena is still open with the war going on. And the people who were there probably have already left to fight as a mercenary for one of the four nations.
2- The Hubs in Aluvia do not grant access to Naverre cities because of the war. We could maybe try to get to Osteth then to Naverre next, but...
3- Some members of the party are still wanted by the Order as "terrorists", as far as we know. Sure, Lady Lightmane cleared our name, but I don't think Aluvian authority means much in Naverre.
4- If we really want to show off to the Naverre Raiders (the Undermarket faction), we should conquer as much towns as possible.

Nevertheless, after we're done with the Light Temple, Holtburg seems the next obvious step. Fierneceal and Rekarg may be there and we have to get the anti-Gaerlan stuff in the Garden anyway. Though I am starting to be wary of using it on the rest of us, seeing how it affected Javan and Higaide, with Gwydo next... -_-

EDIT : Knowledge Elements + 11. What happens when a Desolate enters a Ley Line? What if that Desolate takes the Trial?
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:27 pm

@Zeiss: With your Knowledge roll you are aware that you have no idea whatsoever what would happen, nor have ever heard of it happening prior to now.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:29 pm

Oh. Didn't really expect much more than that. Guess I'll approach Z and ask her discreetly : "Can you take the Trial?". Then she is going to give me one of these looks... -_-
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:56 pm

I relayed your question to Z. Her response was... dramatic pause... one of those looks.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:12 pm

*laughing really hard*

I am not surprised. Then I will start a stare contest with her until she answers me. Going to pet Rainbow to pass the time... Razz

EDIT : Knowledge politics +11. What should be Arwic stance to the war?
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:15 pm

Doing personal things are fine, and I encourage everyone to take care of personal matters. However, I would recommend letting everyone know where you are going, what you are doing, and be prepared to put it on the sideline if it impedes. I don't mean directly opposed to the party, but rather if we need your skills immediately or it's going to majorly delay us then it may not be the time to go off. Doing things like running off with an airship for days without telling everyone first is an example of what not to do. That kind of ... messed up stuff.

I've got a fairly lengthy list of personal things to take care of, but it's taking a backseat right now to more pressing matters. We're getting some personal things done at the Light Temple, but it's also benefiting our primary goal as well, so we're essentially knocking out a couple birds with one stone here.

The Exchange is currently something that we have on-hand that can help people and potentially be an asset. It's something that can and has already gotten out of control a bit, mainly due to having little truly loyal people running it. We're a party of adventurers, so anyone who wants to and can run it is currently running around doing other stuff.

I know not everyone has interest in The Exchange and becoming "legitimate businessmen", but it's currently the closest hands-on group we have right now which can fund us. Even if you don't see any personal gain out of it or don't fully agree with its methods, that's kind of pittance right now in the larger picture. Personally, I'm pleased that the people heading it right now seem to be able to get things done.

Anyone who has or is planning on taking Leadership: taking care of things like The Exchange is essentially what that feat was made to do. I'd encourage you to attract a cohort and followers and soon as possible if you're wanting to have much of a hand in The Exchange and have that feat. If not The Exchange, that's your prerogative, but I'd encourage you to invest in a cohort and followers. I'm planning on taking Leadership myself after the recent turn of events, although that's not going to be possible for two more levels due to not expecting to have to take it at all.

Even if they are red herrings, there's no point in not following the leads we have right now until we learn something new. Everyone just needs to keep their eyes and ears open like they have been.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:50 pm

As for me leaving the party for a few hours, I was planning to tell the party I was heading for Glenden Woods to meet a few people. I could do it during the night we sleep in Arwic, if Javan hides himself in his room.

About the Leadership feat... I WAS planning to take it at level 6, but then I got the hookblades of death, so I took the Two Weapon Fighting and Weapon Finesse feats instead. Starting level 7, I thought about taking levels alternatively between Orator and Green Mage, but I could potentially take a level in Fighter for the bonus feat, take the Leadership feat then go back to my original plan. Though I suspect that Arch would rule against that because of the number of classes I would be multi-classing in... which I would admittedly understand.

But if he is okay with this, the Leadership feat would allow me to expand our influence within the Exchange and have a cohort who would take care of things in my stead when I am away doing suicidal stuff with the party. For now, Sareth is doing that, but he is an NPC with his own goals...

In the worst case, I'll wait until level 9 and let Kolson build a power base with his Leadership belt.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 am

Unfortunately, Leadership is not a fighter bonus feat.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down