Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vahrran and Jim

2 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Vahrran and Jim Empty Vahrran and Jim

Post by Kolson Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:34 pm

"Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker: Don't make me kill you.
Obi-Wan Kenobi: Anakin... My allegiance is to the Republic, to democracy!
Darth Vader: If you're not with me, then you are my enemy.
Obi-Wan Kenobi: Only a Sith deals in absolutes.
[Obi-Wan pulls out his lightsaber]
Obi-Wan Kenobi: I will do what I must.
Darth Vader: You will try."
-Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith

Last time we left our heroes they had been split into two parties. This thread picks up the tale of Vahrran and Jim, who have found themselves on a volcanic plain filled with smoke and ash. In trying to get the lay of the land they came upon a skirmish between a squad of Storm Troopers, led by Moff Ian Cameron and the droid Aro Hanterim, and rock lava creatures. Choosing to help this troop, Vahrran and Jim managed to turn the tide in the Empire's favor. The battle over, Ian and Aro now make their way over to speak to Vahrran and Jim.

Ian isn't looking too hot. His fine Imperial uniform is disheveled and dirty and, from the way he favors it, it looks like his left arm is probably broken. Aro, on the other hand, is completely missing the synthetic skin of his earlier form, giving him a rather nefarious aura of menace. He seems content to let the Moff take the lead.

"Thank you for the assist," the Moff begins but once he gets a good look at you guys you see recognition in his eyes. "We've met before, haven't we? Korra's companions, right?"
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Vahrran and Jim Empty Re: Vahrran and Jim

Post by Rory Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:53 am

Vahrran passes a glance at the lave creature, then folds up the stock of his Carbine, warily eyeing the droid before answering. "We were separated. We've been trying to find our allies, or ascertain the cause and range of this chaotic mess. We could use a breather. Where are the rest of your men holed up?"

galactic lore:
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:19 pm

OOC:

"Is that so?" He signals to his men, who all fan out around you before pointing their blasters at the two of you. "I am taking you both into custody. Throw down your weapons. Now."

"Feel free to resist, flesh bags," Fleshless Aro threatens, deploying both of his vibroblades as he makes ready to charge you, "I've never killed a Chis before. Sounds delightful!"

The voice is different than the last time you met him in the throne room back in the Caamasi capital. It sounds more tinny and distorted, like he's talking out of a blown-out speaker and he completely lack the sanity of his earlier incarnation (such as it was).
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:10 pm

Carefully analyzing the circumstances(numbers, advantages, disadvantages, middle of nowhere, a vibroblade-wielding droid, etc), Vahrran comes to the ultimate conclusion that retreat and battle are not viable options. He throws down his blaster carbine and stun baton only.

"On what false charges?"

conceal DC:
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:11 pm

Jim follows Vahrran's lead without a word, but that's not uncommon for him. You get the sense he'll be ready to back you up, whatever you decide.

"I ask the questions, prisoner, and I will have answers," Ian retorts to Vahrran. To his men he orders, "Secure them quickly. We must leave before more of those creatures show up."

One of the troopers says, "Get down on your knees and put your hands on your head."

When you both comply the trooper who spoke continues, "Qar. Vi. Secure the prisoners."

"Yes sir," says one of the two as they move behind Vahrran and Jim. The soldiers begin to pat the two of you down but before the one checking Vahrran can do too good a job of it the one checking Jim starts finding hidden weapons. A lot of hidden weapons.

"Better get your friend to help you out, kid. I don't much want to spend the night here." scoffs Jim with a smirk.

The sergeant is about to say something when Ian chimes in, "Just do it already. We need to move."

And with that, the search of Vahrran is over. The now two stormtroopers spend the next 3 minutes continuing to find weapons on Jim, bringing the grand total to 9 daggers (6 vibro-, 3 normal), 4 hold-out blasters, 2 normal blasters, and 2 extendable batons. This is in addition to the grenade launcher, blaster pistol, smoke grenade, and stun baton that he originally threw on the ground.

The troopers gather up your weapons and soon the group is walking in a direction, though it's impossible to know which way is north given current meteorological conditions. The two of you are sandwiched in between the storm troopers, your hands secured with synthrope.

OOC:
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:41 am

Vahrran makes a mental note of the direction they are traveling and the landscape if it shifts. After a few minutes, he tests the waters of is captors' disposition.

"If you'll humor me, when and how did the creatures arrive? What is the scale of their invasion?"

ooc:
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:24 pm

OOC:

"Invasion? Ha! That's rich. Listen to this guy, Vi," says the trooper that started off searching Jim earlier.

"Shut up, Qar," says Vi quietly, "Don't talk to the prisoners."

"I wasn't. I was talking to you," says Qar defiantly but he stops speaking just the same.

The troupe is now heading away from the blasted out hillside towards a land bridge over a lake of lava. It's a more stable area than the previous lava pools, lacking the frequent lava sprays or the sudden release of smelly fumes.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:51 am

"Why come out here at all? For the view, perhaps?" Vahrran continues with the first trooper.

Knowledge and Persuasion:
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:33 pm

OOC:

"I ask myself that all the time," sighs Qar. "Not exactly what we signed up for, if you know what I mean?"

"Qar. We didn't sign up for anything. We're clones," interjects Vi.

"Yeah, but we were commissioned to end the Clone Wars and save the Republic," points out Qar.

"But we did that," says an unsure Vi scanning the horizon for threats.

"Did we?" pushes Qar.

"Quiet in the ranks!" shouts the sergeant.

"Yes sir!" they say together, staying quiet for the rest of journey.

For almost an hour the troupe marches across the landscape, crossing the land bridge over the lava with no incidents from lava beasts or otherwise. At the forty minute mark, Vahrran notices a canyon in the distance. Twenty minutes later, they stand at the entrance.

Four stormtroopers stand guard over the entrance to the canyon, which has been fortified with rocks collapsed from the side of the canyon itself. It smells like they used detonite to do it.

Ian and the sergeant speak quietly with the watch commander before signalling for the rest of you to continue. You are led to a cave which is in turn guarded by two more stormtroopers. Lounging around the cave are 16 more stormtroopers in various states of undress. The sound of sleeping men can be heard from a nearby chamber.

Vahrran and Jim are led further into the cave and deposited into a side cavern. Some enterprising soldier has made an improvised table and chairs out of crates, which you suppose once held supplies. You are told to sit and stay quiet and are left under the careful watch of 2 new stormtroopers.

Any questions or anything before I continue Rory?
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:25 am

Vahrran takes a seat on a crate and folds his arms across the table, giving the crates a good once-over before addressing the guards. "Are either of you authorized to provide information?"

Perception:
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:45 am

OOC:

"Quiet, prisoner," orders the one on the left.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:48 am

It feels like a half hour has passed before you hear someone clunking down the hall. It is Ian and Robo-Aro. Ian has received first aid, as he is now reasonably clean and his arm is in a splint and sling. He walks over to join Vahrran and Jim at the impromptu table, only stopping long enough to dismiss the guards. He plops down across from both of you before signaling Aro; the droid immediately cuts your bonds with his vibroblades. Once done, it walks over to the door and quietly scans the hall before saying "clear" to the human.

With a nod Ian says, "My apologies for the show, gentlemen, but the troopers can't be trusted. Here, have some water."

He places a large canteen on the table. "I'll drink it first if you wish, but I'm afraid I can't operate the top one-handed."
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:48 am

Vahrran pulls the canteen close, twists the cap off, and passes it back toward Ian without breaking eye contact. "As is custom."
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:58 pm

"Of course." Ian picks up the canteen and drinks deeply before setting it back down with a breath of satisfaction. "Please, help yourselves. Let me know when you are ready."

He pushes the canteen back towards Vahrran and Jim.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:59 am

Vahrran takes the canteen warily, suspicious of the Moff's 'presentation'. Finally, viewing Boop as unfit to be a taster, not wishing to hand it off to Jim like a slave, and lastly not wishing to insult by rendering the gesture of Ian's good faith pointless, he takes a sip from the canteen.

He passes it off to Jim. And waits.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:33 am

OOC:

Jim takes the proffered canteen and takes a deep swig. "What do you mean the troopers can't be trusted? Aren't they your men?"

"No, they aren't men at all. They aren't even real. In fact, none of this place is. The two of you are trapped in a world of illusion."
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:31 pm

Vahrran's gaze narrows. "We have been aware of this fact," he replies. "And what do you and the droid propose is the way out, hmm? Follow up question, you cannot be Ian Cameron. Neither of you can be who you appear to be. Who are you really?"

Skill check:
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:08 am

Ian ponders your questions for a few seconds before saying, "I'll answer your second question first. No, I am not Ian Cameron. I am merely inhabiting this form so I can better control the troopers. They can't be trusted but they were helpful in fighting off the lava creatures while we looked for you.

No, my name is RO-85. My compatriot-"
85 indicates the droid at the door, "-is RO-92. Our creator inserted us into your minds to help both you and your companions escape from this illusionary world you have found yourselves in."

Check Result:

"As to how we propose to leave this place is quite simple. The psyche of the mind is made up of many layers ranging from the conscious mind to the unconscious mind and into the deepest id. If one can find the path through the layers one can travel through the layers at will. Now it just so happens that we were specially made to help you do this. Why, not 20 kilometers that way-" He points to the wall behind you. "-is the door that will lead you out of this volcanic hell."

Check Result:

Jim looks at Vahrran and shrugs a little. He isn't sure what to make of all this.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:46 am

Vahrran ponders as the droid speaks, his interest piquing at a few points. He strokes his face where a goatee would normally grow, betraying a hint of wonderment with his hesitance and a slight absent-minded parting of his lips.

"The functionality you describe, whether interpreted one out of two ways or both, is fascinating. I would be interested in an elaboration if we are to meet with you or your creator in person. More to the point, your design and programming could not have been conceived without the presence of a problem for you to solve, and you could not have predicted specifically that someone would eventually come here under the present circumstances and events in time. We are not the first, are we?"

"And as to the direction you give, I have more than one query," he continues, without breaking with the overall tone of fascination, "does that door lead deeper into the id, or unconsciousness? If that is true, must we go deeper before we can consider proceeding back towards consciousness? And before I lose interest, I am curious, what layer does this chaos represent? There seems to be an element of order present, even if it is against us."

Perception:
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:29 am

OOC: the Q&A:
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:23 pm

RO-85 nods at Vahrran's astute observation. "That is a reasonable extrapolation of our creation, given current data. However, the truth of the matter is beyond the scope of my programming. For whatever reason, my maker did not include that data."

RO-92 answers the second series of questions. "In order to get out we must go further in. This will require several dives through the unconscious, where we are, and into the id, where the core of The Dreamer lies."

85 adds on, "The mind of The Dreamer makes war upon itself. For what reason or to what outcome is beyond the nature of our programming. Perhaps she is just crazy." He shrugs.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:06 am

"I see. The further we go, the more we will know. We will talk more when we reach the 'eye' of the next layer we dive into. We can scarcely afford to test the brevity of our current isolation further."

He left his seat to make his exit toward the door. While he took a moment to breathe and brace himself, he murmured aside to Jim as he did. "I hope you followed the meat of that just now."
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:39 pm

"I reckon I followed it well enough," says Jim as he stands up. "The hows and whys are beyond me but if getting out of here means we find this Dreamer person then so be it."

He begins checking his weapons and ammo. "What's the plan?"

As 85 starts to reply the cavern is rocked by a violent explosion. The sound of boots rapidly approaching can be heard and not a moment later 92 says, "Someone is coming, act natural."

The droid opens the door as two troopers arrive allowing them both to enter the room and throw two smart salutes. As soon as they start talking Vahrran and Jim exchange glances, recognizing them as the chatty troopers from earlier.

"Sir, we are under attack!" says the one on the right, by the sound of it Qar. "Checkpoint Alpha has fallen!"

"It's the lava heads again, sir," says the one on the left, clearly Vi. "Being led by some crazy Jedi! She hit them like a battering ram. Poor sods didn't even have a chance!"

"Ian" springs to his feet, "We have little time then. We must reinforce Checkpoint Beta. Gather the remaining men, I'll join you shortly."

They throw quick salutes and rush out of the room. After they are gone 85 and 92 exchange a rapid amount of information in binary, so quickly that Vahrran can hardly make it out. It sounds like they are arguing over doing something.

Finally, "Ian" RO-85 says, "I'm sorry, Vahrran, Jim, but it looks like I won't be able to complete my programming after all. While I buy you time, 92 is going to guide you out of here."

92 unhappily harrumphs his assent.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:49 pm

"We are grateful for your bold sacrifice," Vahrran salutes, waiting to be guided by 92. "We will honor your memory."
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:06 am

"Thank you and good luck to us all." 85 draws his pistol and runs after the troopers. 92 silently watches him go, his cold droid features betraying no emotion. The base rocks from an explosion once more, forcing 92 to action.

"Time to go, meatbags." The terrifying looking droid leads you the opposite direction, towards what looks like a dead end in the cavern.

Jim, who has drawn his pistol, asks, "Is there some kind of secret door hereabouts?"

"No." 92 touches the wall, which begins to rearrange itself Lego style to form a tunnel back up to the surface. As the three of you run through the tunnel 92 further explains. "One of the ways we have to lead you out is the ability to make changes to the dreamscape. Unfortunately, it draws the attention of The Dreamer, which means we have to limit it's use. Not a problem right now though."

Rory:

Once on the surface, you find yourself standing atop a high ridge about half a mile from the base. You can see smoke rising from area and echoes of shooting and creatures roaring.

"Time to get out of here." 92 says, touching the ground, grabbing it, and then pulling. As he does, it starts to reform into an air speeder, which Vahrran and Jim both recognize as the LAAT/i "Lartie" extensively used by the Republic as a gunship and troop transport during the Clone Wars.

LAAT/i Pic:

"Shall we go?" The droid asks, impatient to get on with it.

OOC:

Last edited by Kolson Wezrae on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next