Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Great Escape... er, Coup

+3
Essoje
Zeiss
Archengeia
7 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

The Great Escape... er, Coup - Page 3 Empty Re: The Great Escape... er, Coup

Post by Essoje Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:22 pm

You know, since I'm infiltrating an information network to cause some ruckus, there's nothing stopping me from gathering info on several factions of note while at it.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:52 am

So here’s the new plan, which was inspired by Rory and Javan.

First, we are going to make a list of all the organizations and persons of note in Aluvia who want to stop the war and would be willing to support a coup d’état to make it happen. It will require a lot of knowledge politics rolls, and in some cases, we will have to gather information in the other main cities of the kingdom using the Hub. What we’ll do is create a coalition which the Exchange will lead into taking over Aluvia, one step at a time.

Arch doesn’t need to write this list down, since I imagine it will be quite extensive. As long as it’s in his head, we’ll be fine. These people and organizations must provide us with these three things to make the coup happen in Holtburg:

• resources (soldiers, infiltrators, specialized equipment);
  • information (on how to achieve the coup);
  • credibility and political support (to maintain power). 
Once this is done, Zeiss, Kolson and Qui-Gon will meet these people and talk them into helping us. That means using the Hub, extensively. We’ll have to convince them that the economic crisis the kingdom is currently facing can be solved without having to resort to conquering the other nations. However, because we’re already at war, only bad choices are available to us. So, simply put, we have to destroy Aluvia.

There are two ways to do this: take over the kingdom and reform it from the ground up or divide it up in smaller nations. The Tumeroks and God knows what else are still threatening the whole continent, so we can’t have the different militaries fighting each other. We’ll have to reform the kingdom.

I imagine many people will strongly disagree with that conclusion, so we’ll have to remind them that the peace talks have failed, plain and simple. We can either let the bloodbath continue on the frontlines or bring the problem back in Aluvia. As for how I think we should start the reform: we’ll have advisors to the Lord of Holtburg elected by the people. We’ll also choose some advisors of our own, but that should get people to care about the politics of the realm and learn how to think for themselves.

This process will take days, at the very least. Arch would have to roll a lot of things then make a big post about the results. During this time, Higaide could get back to Holtburg while Rory and Javan do other things. If I may suggest:

It has been hinted several times that Javan is seen as an Aspect by other people. In my head, it’s like if Javan had been downgraded from his status as a fairy. And considering he isn’t “anchored” to any green mage, I wouldn’t be surprised if he disintegrated one day. He should look into that. Maybe find himself someone to be linked to and how to achieve that, if that’s even the solution.

Rory wants to move the humans to Osteth. I would suggest that he goes there using the Hub and prepare for their arrival. Maybe find them some jobs or a place to crash.

Or you guys can go to the Elemental Temples. Or help us with gathering information. Your call.

That's my idea in a nutshell.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:43 am

My suggestion about doing the elemental trials is based on the idea of ALL of the party going there (except Higaide because of time-constrains) because I do believe our guys will be seeing a lot more combat once we start the coup, so any boost in personal power would be welcome.

After all, there's nothing stopping us from concentrating on working on the coup AFTER doing the temple stuff.

Edit: Oh, and untrained people often confuse Javan for an Aspect, but people with elemental knowledge see Javan as some kind of Elemental, so I'm going to assume the later being the case. I already have plans to look into this personally after we are done with the coup. Plus, Javan would probably not 'link' himself to anyone even if it meant his death was certain. Wind must blow freely and cease when it must yo. #ElementalLife

Edit #2: I've already considered giving Javan a few levels of Green Mage actually, and still didn't get an actual answer from Arch on that matter. And also, how confusing it would be for people to see an Aspect summoning their own Aspect, huh? :D
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:31 am

Right I forgot about our Green Mage talk. You didn't forget about our, ahem, consequences talk did you?
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:48 am

Nah didn't forget it, just figured that I might as well have fun with 'my' character while I can. Also if I'm not mistaken, the consequences are already in place and I just got lucky(?) up until now, so unless the alternate green mage thingy makes it worse, I don't see why not go that route.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:04 am

*raises eyebrow*

Well, #ElementalLife.

As K pointed out, I don't think it's a good idea for the one planning the coup to postpone the preparations. And I'm more than powerful enough for my level; I'm even kind of overpowered.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:31 am

... Uh, that's actually not true. Your character is a 1-time-per-week-only glass-cannon with two weak spots, and if I'm not mistaken Zeiss is one level under the rest of the party.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:39 am

I'm the same level as you guys. And I'm a green mage who can fight without his Aspect's help: much stronger than a green mage my level.

For what we are playing right now, I'm slightly overpowered.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Oh right, sorry, you are right about being 7th level.

My point still remains tho, your character is more powerful than a green mage sure, but with a catch: your character can survive well for 1 battle, then will have a colossal degrade in power very quickly, at which point you actually want to retreat. A green mage of the same level will keep their somewhat lower combat power throughout multiple combats, again working the best under control of a tactically-minded individual.

TL;DR: Zeiss is a glass cannon in combat. Green mages are pistols with a grenade launcher attached.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:10 pm

Advoc is also level 7. He can fight as long as another Aspect of my level would be.

Ans still need to know you guys thoughts on my plan. Kind of feel like we're off subject. Cool
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:47 pm

I plan to have Javan do some elemental trials and then force his way into an information network so we can do stuff.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:05 pm

Count me in Zeiss. I need to get out and meet people anyway so that suits my plans for now.

But before we begin we need to know who we are dealing with and that means we need intelligence. Priority number one is putting together a spy ring. Zeiss, that's your area of expertise. Between your skills and Greta's agents acting as support, I believe you can get in there and get the job done.

We need:

1. Who overthrew Lightmane?

2. If it's not the same person, who is currently ruling Holtburg?

3. What are the defense plans for the district in case of attack?

4. What troops are available for defense of the district? Who are the commanders and how can we take them out or force them to join our coup? The same deal for the rest of the city and its troops would be grand.

5. How would they ask for reinforcements and what routes would they likely take to get to the district? We'll have enough problems fighting the district defense force without also having to worry about the troops stationed around the city.

Even beyond the troop problem, we need this info yesterday. Also, anyone else think we got into the wrong racket? I think we could have made more money becoming information brokers and we could have kept a leaner organization.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:21 pm

I will interview Qui-Gon to make sure he can be trusted with our plan and the right to use the Hub. Once Gretta's people arrive, I will send them on these different tasks:

• Gather information on Kolson's questions, which are basically identify the players in Holtburg right now and what defences must we take in consideration?
  • Find a suitable Spymaster I could hire.
  • Recruit spies. You can download this file to see what my spy ring's hierarchy looks like: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4pdKgiss7uFN2ZaS2p3MEhFblU/edit

I'll send Biggs and Wedge to Janwall to command the people left there, if there are any. One of them will act as the commander while the other will be his second-in-command, the enforcer. If we have no people there anymore, Biggs and Wedge have the task to set up an Exchange post and oversee the reconstruction of the town while we find funding to allow that.

Then, we make the list of who we can rally to support the coup. Once this is done, me, Kolson and Qui-Gon will meet them and roll. We'll also need to know what Rory and Javan will be doing (and more exactly, where).
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:27 pm

Javan will look into three elemental trials at least (using the Hub if possible to shorten travel time); life, earth and dark specifically. OCD tells me to balance the elements. You don't understand man, I must do it!

After that, Javan is infiltrating a certain information network in a certain location that the GM told me already but I forgot to write it down because I'm stupid like that.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:11 pm

In the meantime, I'd like to get my Mite interview over with. If time is an issue, we can say I had time to do it on the 20th or the following day. I'm just ready to answer the questions lest I keep putting it off.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:20 pm

Well, I was talking about what your character is planning for the next few days Rory.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:42 pm

Oh. Alright. I will learn what Kolson wants to find out. Then I will oversee the information gathering and then find a spymaster and put them on the payroll. Then he/I/we will recruit spies, and then I will be interviewed by the Mites. Arch, let me just get that interview in a pm if need be, serve it up.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:25 pm

*rubs eyes* I'm sorry guys I am literally swamped trying to get ready for July and the upcoming Loreruns (plural)... any chance one of you could summarize everything everyone wants to do in one spot so I can respond easier, please?
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:50 pm

Sure, I'll do it this evening.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:43 pm

Preparations for the coup:

First, our characters are going to make a list of all the organizations and persons of note in Aluvia who want to stop the war and would be willing to support a coup d’état to make it happen. It will require a lot of knowledge politics rolls, and in some cases, we will have to gather information in the other main cities of the kingdom using the Hub. What we’ll do is create a coalition which the Exchange will lead into taking over Aluvia, one step at a time.

Arch doesn’t need to write this list down, since I imagine it will be quite extensive. As long as it’s in his head, we’ll be fine. These people and organizations must provide us with these three things to make the coup happen in Holtburg:
  • resources (soldiers, infiltrators, specialized equipment);
  • information (on how to achieve the coup);
  • credibility and political support (to maintain power). 

Once this is done, Zeiss, Kolson and Qui-Gon will meet these people and talk them into helping us and try to be discreet about it.

I will, of course, interview Qui-Gon to make sure he can be trusted with the usage of the Hub. I will also interview these three Exchange employees who were said to be trustworthy with the Hub passage. If they are, they'll get it and help the Exchange trade with other main cities, starting with Glenden Wood (we'll set up an Exchange post there or just recruit the local Bloc).

When our potential allies ask us about our political agenda:

We aim for a full dictatorship which will make it easier to coordinate military action against Aluvia's enemies, the Tumeroks being the most obvious, and to change its economy so it doesn't need to go to war to preserve its existence; that's where the Exchange comes in. It will also allow us to gradually introduce political reforms so that when the dictator dies, Aluvia's leaders are chosen through a democratic process.

We'll start by having advisers elected by the people. After X amount of time, we'll give these advisers actual power within the nation. After another X amount of time, we'll create new positions to which people can be elected to and give the advisers a stronger grip on the nation's political sectors. X amount of time later, we'll let go of the reins and abolish the dictatorship. It doesn't matter if people rise up against the dictator, the end result will be the same. What we want to avoid is a revolution that happens before we managed to resolve Aluvia's main issues.

Kolson

He will help with the preparations for the coup.

Javan

He plans to do some elemental trials (
life, earth and dark specifically) and force himself into an information network which he knows the location of because our GM once told him.

Rory

Helps putting together a spy network and find answers for Kolson's questions (see below).

Zeiss

On top of the preparations for the coup, Zeiss will put together a spy network. He will use the 20 men Gretta is going to send our way.

• Find a suitable Spymaster I could hire. Having a list of possible candidates with short descriptions which were acquired through an interview directed by Zeiss would be enough.
  • Recruit personel. You can download this file to see what my spy ring's hierarchy looks like: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4pdKgiss7uFN2ZaS2p3MEhFblU/edit

We'll need to answer these questions (written by Kolson):
  • Who overthrew Lightmane?
  • If it's not the same person, who is currently ruling Holtburg?
  • What are the defense plans for the district in case of attack?
  • What troops are available for defense of the district? Who are the commanders and how can we take them out or force them to join our coup? The same deal for the rest of the city and its troops would be grand.
  • How would they ask for reinforcements and what routes would they likely take to get to the district? We'll have enough problems fighting the district defense force without also having to worry about the troops stationed around the city.
A few menial tasks (loose ends that need tying up):
  • I'll send Biggs and Wedge to Janwall to command the people left there, if there are any. One of them will act as the commander while the other will be his second-in-command, the enforcer. If we have no people there anymore, Biggs and Wedge have the task to set up an Exchange post and oversee the reconstruction of the town while we find funding to allow that.
  • Have Mevrak join our spy network.
  • Convince the caravans' guard to turncoat their current company for the right price while making sure they're not going to put our organization at risk.
  • Find someone who could command the Exchange's troops in combat.
  • Continue selling the food we have (Van now has two people to help him with that).
  • Find a job for that informant I interviewed (the Embezzler) in the PTC.
  • Pay our employees. Last time we paid them was the 14th of March if my file is right. We also can use the money we got from selling our food to do that (we made 842gp of profit last time Van told us about it, which was a few days ago).
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:05 pm

As an addendum to Zeiss' above post I'd like to arrange an interview with Marleth of Thunderbeard regarding the Aluvian Military from the Dryreach incident on. I'll try her publisher first.

I'll also buy a copy of all of her published journals and read as many as I can before the meeting.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:16 pm

And gathering information about the Lord of Glenden Woods before we search for allies to make the coup happen, right? Smile

And find out his stance on the war.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down