Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spliting the party

+2
Zeiss
Essoje
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Spliting the party Empty Spliting the party

Post by Zeiss Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:03 am

This post is for Rory and Higaide. Arch asked me on the stream to write this. Smile

So Javan wants to bail from the Exchange and do awesome stuff as an adventurer. Specifically, he wants to go against the Vyeotians. So Arch is willing to GM another campaign and do just that. If the two of you want to go with him, you can. Me and Kolson would stay behind to play the NPCs of this world and back your efforts when possible.

How's that sound for you?
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Spliting the party Empty Re: Spliting the party

Post by Essoje Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:15 am

So just to make sure that I'm not being a little baby about it anymore than I should, I just feel a good amount of how I've been playing the game lately has been taking a toll on me, the player, because Javan was never made with being evil and many of the actions I made him do were outright evil just so I could keep up with Exchange's agenda, and any character you've played for as long as I did Javan will make you care about what he does.

Anyways, so Arch asked in the stream, "What do you want?" repeatedly, enough for me to question if he wasn't some kind of evil alien. But then I answered, after discussing it a bit with people, "Javan should go after the Veyotians AND stop doing evil stuff.". And he said, "It's going to be a bit hard on me, but you know what? Sure."

And that brings us to now. So what do you two think?
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:22 am

I'm actually the one who suggested the idea to go with Javan. I know you haven't liked the "Run an Empire" game as much as me and Kolson did.

I thought you would like this idea of an adventure. So go for it if you want to.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:30 am

Again, I don't have a problem with it being an "Run an Empire" right now. But to keep doing it, evil things must be done and not only I'm not that into it, I need to force by good character to do things even I am not comfortable with, which is my main point.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:30 am

Spliting the party B5_morden
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:31 am

I'm guessing that's a Babylon 5 reference? And that guy is evil? Cool
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:33 am

He's the "What do you want?" guy in B5, yeah. And yes, he's evil and dreamy and the reason why a lot of things start to go boom and that's why I love/hate the guy.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:18 am

Evil? What do you mean? I thought we were solidly neutral personally.

Anyway, I think its a great idea and I'll be happy to help you do whatever you want Essoje. Even if Zeiss and I are the NPC benefactors in the shadows.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by K Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:04 am

I'm afraid to speak my mind on this, since i get the feeling it might tip the scales somewhat.

I felt i was getting on my feet a bit more now with this investigation thing, but if Javan goes, well... it wouldn't do to let him go alone, now would it. So yeah, if the party splits, i'd rather be on the one that goes out and bites stuff, rather than the one that stays behind and manages stuff.

If the party splits.
K
K

Character sheet
Class: Monk
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:08 am

I would love to go on an adventure and wreck the Vyeotians. In addition, I've been kinda forgetting that Thog exists, and that's no good. For a long time, I've been looking forward to seeing my bond with Thog manifest, and so far it's felt one-sided. I wonder if they know about him. If they do, we're way less safe than I thought. I wish Zeiss and Kolson could come, but sometimes the characters won't let us players all go together. If it would help to shoulder the math, I know Arch has been doing all of the rolls and skill work behind the curtain, which might be making us complacent. I wonder if we will get to meet Wizzle again. And those people he's helping, whatever their names are.

We all need to be able to have fun together when we can, so you decide if the empire as a minigame is necessary. I can see it being dumbed down a bit to compensate for a party split.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:10 am

I saw my wikia page. Disposition: "violent", ha. I love it. I should try my hand at finding or making a new avatar for him.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:02 am

Well, before you go on your little adventure, it would be awesome if you helped me repel the Aristocrats back in the Royal District. That would also be an fun fight to have. Smile
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by K Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:00 pm

Did someone say fight?
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:04 pm

Yeah. Against the Aristocrats' mercenaries. In the Royal District. We could even let Thog have fun too, after we warn the nationalists that he's on our side.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:32 pm

Ah yes, the Aristocrats that totally didn't try to take over power for themselves after Exchange members tried to sell the idea to them, which in turn will make Exchange members jump at them for doing it too soon... Yeah, I'm going to think on it because the choice between whenever to fight or not here could lead to Javan leaving on either bad or good terms.

As I see it, Javan has been out of the loop for a while now, so he's not aware on why the Aristocrats did what they did. If he goes and fight them then find it all out later, he's going to be pissed, and although he's not going to jump Zeiss it's going to give my character the trigger I needed for switching tracks AND a chance to mature, maybe even making for good story. Not fighting makes for a more civilized departure after he finds out, but no drama and little growth.

Decisions, decisions...
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:40 pm

Or you could fight with us and not find out how this all started *evil smile*

But seriously, just choose whatever you think is best. We still have two weeks to go through before we're caught up with the other party too (Week 6 is the last one).
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:01 pm

I wrote that I'm torn about it because, frankly, I really am. So I'd like some opinions and views on it so I can make up my mind.

I mean, one choice brings impact to the whole thing while really lowering the chances of later reconciliation, while the other is a less interesting way to go about it but does not burn bridges along the way. And both are important to me for different reasons.

so uh... I hate making these kinds of choices, it's like I'm playing Mass Effect 2 all over again and it's Zaeed's loyalty mission time. You know what I'm talking about.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:31 pm

I'm thinking stick with the drama and growth, that's what a good story's about. I don't know if we've been getting closer to this fight or what we've been learning, but I've been taking my actions, reading about what I've accomplished, reading what's related to me taking my next actions, and just zoning out the rest. So I'm sorry for complaining about not getting to see this actual conflict happen and getting to be a part of it, when it's actually been coming up. I also forgot about the internal affairs issue, and I will give advice and make myself available for that.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:43 pm

Rory wrote:We all need to be able to have fun together when we can, so you decide if the empire as a minigame is necessary. I can see it being dumbed down a bit to compensate for a party split.

That's just it Rory, its not a minigame to me. That is the game. Which is why I think we should split. I'll help you guys out when I can, but my days of itinerant adventuring in Primus are over. Not that I won't throw down when necessary. It's just not going to be under normal adventuring terms.

Essoje wrote:I wrote that I'm torn about it because, frankly, I really am. So I'd like some opinions and views on it so I can make up my mind.

I mean, one choice brings impact to the whole thing while really lowering the chances of later reconciliation, while the other is a less interesting way to go about it but does not burn bridges along the way. And both are important to me for different reasons.

so uh... I hate making these kinds of choices, it's like I'm playing Mass Effect 2 all over again and it's Zaeed's loyalty mission time. You know what I'm talking about.

Well, whatever you decide, I hope we get an interesting story from it. Just let us know if you are still interested in support or not and if you'd prefer it to be covert or whatever. We'll figure it out.

@Essoje, K, and Rory If this separate game becomes a thing that means all of you are going to have to step up. You are going to have take a real stock of your personal and team's strengths and weaknesses and come up with plans for mitigating and maximizing them. You aren't going to have Zeiss or Kolson around anymore, which leaves you without your faces (Guys good at talking and a problem Javan has been running into in his recent endeavors), the Exchange's resources, a dedicated healer (not that Kolson was anything but a secondary one anyway), Kolson's magical support in general (Weaving and such), or the intangibles like my leadership.

I'll tell you right now, out of character, that the three of you have three very different approaches to the game, and unless you can find a working balance your party will not function and the three of you will end up frustrated and unhappy. If you want my help with this you got it but you guys will need to seriously hash this out before you get started or you'll find you'll have the same problems with the game you do right now.

Last edited by Kolson Wezrae on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:45 am

For one, Javan was already taking a dip on green mage for utility and awesome. Also, his next feat point is going to be Leadership, hopefully getting a cohort (aiming for a healer) and I serious intend to max diplomacy asap being the face of the White Scarves and all. This should ease up on some gameplay-side of things.

And about 'approaches to the game' thing, I'm lacking context, so it would be nice to have some examples. So yes, I'd like the help on that.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:02 am

That's great Essoje. That's a big relief all on its own that you have a plan for that. And sure, I can give you guys some pointers. Just know that I probably won't be able to give specific examples. That's not how I work. Each experience I have with you is like a brush stroke in the painting that is my impression of you--it all gets lost in the bigger picture. Capiche?

Note: I'm putting these in spoiler tags because it looks better than massive paragraphs taking up most of the page. Anyone and everyone is free to read these.

I also wish such disclaimers weren't necessary but experience has unfortunately taught me otherwise. So here we go.

Disclaimer:

I'll start with some player psychology.

Essoje:

K:

Rory the Player:

And we'll end talking about your guy's characters.

Out of the three of you I think Javan has the best defined character. From a writing perspective, he has an ultimate goal (Defeat the Veyotians), a Character Goal (the White Scarves and their work as well as finding a cure to his elemental affliction), and a personal goal (Unknown. High five all the rulers in the game maybe?).

I've never been entirely sure what Higaide and Rory want, beyond a few personal goals. Hell, when you guys started you barely had any practical ties to the setting at all. So if we are going to continue our little discussion I have to ask all three of you: What is your Ultimate Goal, what are your current Character Goals, and what are some of your Personal Goals.

Definitions:
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:45 am

Alright, I can jam. First, your impression kinda surprised me to the point that it made me laugh, because I never expected these qualities to surface. I kinda always felt that my mental forte would translate to my characters, certainly for Rory - not a leader type, a bit aimless, and not very bright. So, I feel like I've surprised myself by being able to play characters who manage each of those adequately, even if they don't shine in each of them.

me. me, me me...:

Man that's heavy.

Now I think I'm starting to understand why being a human character was such a problem when we started, but thankfully Rory at least has some tie to the setting, it's true. I'll come up with some goals right now so we can get this sorted before we continue.

goals:

There is one character goal that's been itching at Rory for a while now. Remember when we spoke to that one Olthoi about what the Scions were trying to find a solution to? That's a Morrowind-level hint. It rubbed the eeriness spot in my mind and intrigued me in just the right way when he decided to shut up and scurry off, and it only made me want to investigate more, maybe find more ruins or visit other lassels to poke and prod at things until I find out. It's the box the GM tells you not to open because he wants you to open it, and I wanna, I wanna see what's inside!
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:00 am

Just as an aside, I like the implication that Kolson (and hopefully Zeiss) are enjoying the 'running the Exchange' game... I've actually been putting a lot of myself into making it, trying to reach a balance between too much and not enough detail, etc. Of course if I'm misunderstanding I feel like a doofus...
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:42 am

Archengeia wrote:Just as an aside, I like the implication that Kolson (and hopefully Zeiss) are enjoying the 'running the Exchange' game... I've actually been putting a lot of myself into making it, trying to reach a balance between too much and not enough detail, etc.  Of course if I'm misunderstanding I feel like a doofus...

Are you kidding? I love the 'running the Exchange' game, and I know Kolson does too. We get to affect the setting on a larger scale than what we did before (it feels like it anyway) and we become more powerful at the same time. I certainly enjoy seeing the effects of my actions when criminals and other NPCs come consult me because they think I'm important enough to be considered in their plans, even if I'm still a "small" player on the political field. Okay, I didn't intend to push the Aristocrats into armed rebellion and I would have certainly tried to prevent that if I knew it would happen, but hey, now we can use the chaos to raise above our stations! Me and Kolson that is.

But we know the other players don't like this game as much as we do, so if they have the possibility to go on an adventure instead, they should do so.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by K Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:26 pm

See, Arch? Kolson knows i'm neurotic and disagree with myself all the time (and i still think First Contact is overrated).

About stepping up, i don't doubt either Javan's or Rory's ability to be decisive; and i only second guess myself until the time comes to make a call.

Now, i do make it a point to always try to make as informed a decision as possible, and i do have trouble separating the wheat from the chaff when considering facts, leading me to sometimes overcomplicate matters, but considering how badly we've been blindsided in the past by variables we hadn't even considered, i don't think it's entirely unfounded.

As for my strengths, i'll lay them out right now - in the absence of Kolson's and Zeiss' diplomatic presence, i'll fill that spot. My stat is decent enough, and i'm better spoken at negotiating with people than at sorting out my internal madness - and i've proven that more than once. My Stealth is high enough and i have the highest awareness and run speed in the party, so i can easily double as a scout. Decent healing stat also, i just need them potions.

I'm not the hardest hitter, which is unfortunate, but i'm pretty versatile if you need someone subdued, since i take no penalty for non-lethal damage.

As for long term goals, Higade wants to find a way to resist Scion control, preferably one he can share. But quite honestly, not everyone on this Earth has a clearly defined purpose in life, and that's a natural thing too. The urgency and weight of the current situation in Dereth would make most people with the will and agency and sheer stupidity to try and do something about it to get off their butts and get to work, and Higaide has at least the third trait.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next