Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions, Clarifiations, Ideas, And Planning For The New Campaign

+3
Rory
Essoje
Archengeia
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Questions, Clarifiations, Ideas, And Planning For The New Campaign - Page 2 Empty Re: Questions, Clarifiations, Ideas, And Planning For The New Campaign

Post by Zeiss Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:36 am

So I chose what I wanted to be : a human fighter who was born in this setting.

He is an adventurer because he wants to be the best warrior that ever existed. That's pretty much it. He doesn't really care for who he works for, as long as nobody asks him to hurt a child or a defenceless person who hasn't deserved to be beaten up.

And I have a few questions. Do humans have the advantages that they usually receive when playing standard D&D? The D20 says that a half-plate armor is 600gp. Does that mean it is 600 gil in your setting? I would also like a two-handed hammer, but I did not find one in the weapons list on D20. Can you make some stats just for me?

And can I have this trait?

Thank you in advance. And since you said you wanted to do the trial this weekend (evil laugh), what about Saturday evening? That's the best day for me. I can also play Sunday, but only until 9:30 PM.

Well, that's all.

*Flies away within a cloud of butterflies*
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Questions, Clarifiations, Ideas, And Planning For The New Campaign - Page 2 Empty Re: Questions, Clarifiations, Ideas, And Planning For The New Campaign

Post by Archengeia Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:14 pm

Kolson Wezrae wrote:Yeah, reduced item slots and specialized equipment works for me. I mean, I can't see a Nanaki using a sword or some such thing. Or even wanting to really. What would my revised item slots be?
Hrm.  Let's go with...
Weapon (has to be custom modified for his usage, either for a jaw enhancement or a tail attachment or somesuch)
Helm (has to be fitted)
Armor (has to be fitted)
Belt
Paw Armament
Shawl (Cloaks can be tailored to fit)
Neck:
Bracelet:
Piercing 1: (Rings can be modified into piercings)
Piercing 2:

Zeiss wrote:So I chose what I wanted to be : a human fighter who was born in this setting.

He is an adventurer because he wants to be the best warrior that ever existed. That's pretty much it. He doesn't really care for who he works for, as long as nobody asks him to hurt a child or a defenseless person who hasn't deserved to be beaten up.

And I have a few questions. Do humans have the advantages that they usually receive when playing standard D&D? The D20 says that a half-plate armor is 600gp. Does that mean it is 600 gil in your setting? I would also like a two-handed hammer, but I did not find one in the weapons list on D20. Can you make some stats just for me?

And can I have this trait?

Thank you in advance. And since you said you wanted to do the trial this weekend (evil laugh), what about Saturday evening? That's the best day for me. I can also play Sunday, but only until 9:30 PM.

Well, that's all.

*Flies away within a cloud of butterflies*
Yes 1g = 1g.  *pause*  Funny how that works.
2her maces are referred to in the stats as a Greatclub or a Maul. 
No you cannot have that trait, your GM has only so much patience.
I will try to be on this evening.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:30 pm

Thank you for the answers.

I did not have any answer about the human stats, but I will assume we are following standard 3.5 D&D. As for my big hammer (the greatclub), it costs 5 gp. I would like to buy something more powerful and I am willing to pay up to 350 gil for it. So it would be great if I could have some extra damage added to it, magical in nature if possible (or elemental, whatever is best suited for this setting).

That is all. Thank you in advance and PEACE! *turns into pink liquid and evaporates*
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:38 pm

"More powerful" means stronger materials. Materials are something we're ignoring in this side-campaign. The only thing that would make your hammer stronger is if it were masterwork...unless "special materials" count, such as Darkwood or Alchemical Silver. But unless I read that wrong, we're not using ANYTHING other than our equipment's standalone stats?

Humans
That's probably a safe bet. We'd probably have to ask whether the Elves are standard 3.5 instead.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:03 pm

Rory is correct. You could make it a Masterwork or pay for a +1 Greatclub (which you cannot afford).

Humans are standard. Cuz they're humans. Boring, dull, pointless humans.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:52 pm

@Arch Thanks, I'll write that down.

@Zeiss I suggest using a Maul. It's higher on the crit multiplier and is the best two-handed hammer published in an official source.

Maul 15 gp 1d10 x3 - 20 lb. Bludgeoning Complete Warrior

Just so you know if you decided to take the exotic weapon proficiency for Maul you can use it in one hand.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Thank you for the suggestion Kolson. I'll do just that. But could you explain how using that maul with one hand instead of two be more useful in terms of gameplay?

Your clarification was helpful Rory. Looking into that Masterwork thingy right now.

As for why I chose to be a human : I like to make what seems to be boring and dull into something interesting for the others. This is a challenge I set for myself. The other reason is because playing another race is just, in my mind at least, playing a human with a different skin. Most of the time, the other races express the same kind of emotions that humans do. Their mindset might be different than the average human, but it will never be far from it.

So yeah, let's just play a human because reason number 1.

*Disappears*
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:23 pm

It's only useful if you are interested in duel-wielding or using a shield. If you want to do neither of those things then the exotic weapon prof in Maul is useless for your character.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:10 am

I'm going to throw in a new custom rule of sorts, something I've been debating for the Primus campaign that we're going to play with in the Medaira campaign, see if it pans out. It's pretty simple, really.

For DR, Damage Resistance, there will be 4 types.
Low, Medium, High, and Impenetrable.
Low: Can be penetrated by most means, such as magic or magical weapons, but is otherwise effective.
Medium: Requires something of moderate power to penetrate.
High: Requires substantial power to penetrate.
Impenetrable: Absolute DR, cannot be penetrated.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:57 am

Breaking bad made me stay awake, so here I am commenting on this. It's nice to see some more homebrew stuff in the campaign. Smile

And I like the idea of 4 kinds of DR instead of the 'as much DR types as damage types' of D&D, it sometimes get in the way. Alchemical silver... why were you not there in my weapon when I needed you all those years ago?! *shakes fist at it*
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:34 am

So a barbarian with Damage Reduction would qualify for Low?
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:02 am

@Rory: Correct.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:11 am

Obviously a particularly strong conventional attack, or a rolled 20, could penetrate Medium or High damage resistance, but generally speaking, what sort of means wouldn't require an adequate increase in magical or physical output(unless it was intentionally decreased) to penetrate Medium or High...or is that a secret?
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:56 am

If I wanted to sit down and define it I wouldn't have simplified the rules.

Now, that being said, let's say you have Medium DR and are hit by a spell of equal level to your own with no modifications. That probably would not penetrate. But if it was higher level, or if it was Meta'd to be stronger? It probably would.

Similarly someone hitting you with a basic +1 Longsword isn't going to penetrate jack on Medium. A +3 or so definitely would. But what if it was a +1 with, say, flame damage added? That's a maybe. +1, with flame damage, AND a high Material? That's more likely to.

...but again I leave that ruling up to GM's discretion for a reason. The general idea should be obvious.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:31 pm

That's a power decrease for Barb DR.

Normal Barb DR is untyped DR with the limit that it only works against weapon and natural attack damage. With your added rule magical weapons now ignore it as well.

Was that intentional?

Also, I've been thinking about the Nanaki equipment thing and I was wondering if I couldn't reflavor the slots? I was thinking "armor" could be certain edibles that allow a Nanaki's skin and fur to take on the properties of armor. For example, I'd equip some Boru Berries and get an effect equivalent to say scale armor. It would still have all the same stats, I'd just be able to describe myself as not wearing any.

Oh and we'll need to figure out some stats for Nanakis.

Last edited by Kolson Wezrae on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:02 pm

Ability Modifiers: +2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Cha. The Wolfion are strong, fast, and intelligent, however their intimidating appearance make them less approachable by humans.
Medium-Size: As Medium-Sized creatures, Wolfions have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Wolfion Base Speed is 6 squares.
Wolfions gain a +2 bonus on all Strength checks and Strength-related skill checks.
Natural Weapons: Wolfions can only attack with their natural weapons, and as such gain the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bite) and Exotic Weapon Proficiency (claws) feats instead of any other Weapon Proficiency feat. Wolfion's bite damage is 3d6 + Strength modifier and claw damage is 3d8 + Strength modifier.
Natural Armour: Wolfions gain a +4 bonus to Reflex Defence due to their hardy structure. The Wolfion are unable to gain any Armour Proficiency feat other than Light.
Limit: Wolfions gain access to the Fury limit tree, which is only available to members of this race.
Howler's Mark: Once per day, the Wolfion can designate a single target. The Wolfion gains a bonus on attack rolls ability checks, and skill checks equal to one-half their level (rounded-down, minimum of 1) against that target.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:37 am

Modified Stats for Reference

Nanaki

Ability Modifiers: +2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Cha. The Nanaki are strong, fast, and intelligent, however their intimidating appearance make them less approachable by humans.
Medium-Size: As Medium-Sized creatures, Nanaki have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Nanaki Base Speed is 6 squares.
Nanaki gain a +2 bonus on all Strength checks and Strength-related skill checks.
Natural Weapons: Nanaki can only attack with their natural weapons, and as such gain the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bite) and Exotic Weapon Proficiency (claws) feats instead of any other Weapon Proficiency feat. A Nanaki's bite damage is 3d6 + Strength modifier and claw damage is 3d8 + Strength modifier.
Natural Armour: Nanaki gain a +4 bonus to AC due to their hardy structure.
Howler's Mark: Once per day, the Nanaki can designate a single target. The Nanaki gains a bonus on attack rolls, ability checks, and skill checks equal to one-half their level (rounded-down, minimum of 1) against that target.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:00 am

Well I hope you don't mind, but I'm gonna go ahead and reroll my 2's now. I won't rearrange my ranks, it's too late for that. I'll a link to the rolls on invisiblecastle.

Then again, if I applied the change to Int(One 17 was changed, there are two 17's), I'd gain an Int of 20, and my modifier would become a +5, giving me another 4 ranks to spend and a +1 to all Int skills. If allowed, I'd like to spend 3 points on disguise and save the remaining point on skill. I haven't had to roll Disguise and I have yet to fail a Gather Info check(that time on the boat would have to count as a neglect to make use of Diplomacy), and I would have just enough ranks to fill them up to 4.

Also, what's the date in the Medaira campaign? If it has 365 days, Then Ekai has a birthday every 121 days, every third birthday moving forward one day--by my rough estimation of Human-Salarian age conversion.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:21 am

My skill list includes Craft, Knowledge (history), Knowledge (local), and Martial Lore. I am wondering if I could trade them for more useful skills?

Can I trade Craft for Weaving since I manipulate my ki to fight giving me some inherent magical power?

I'm not sure on the knowledge skills. Will they be useful or should I trade them?

Martial Lore is basically Spellcraft and Knowledge (arcana) except for my character's way of fighting (you know how 3.5 loved its subsystems). Mind if I trade it for Knowledge (arcana), a skill we will actually use?

Full Warblade Skill List After Conversion:

Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:31 am

@Rory: Go for it. As for the date, well it's interesting that you ask, but we'll say it's October 1st when the campaign begins, on Year 410.

@Kolson: Martial Lore I'll say can be converted to Knowledge (Arcana). As for History and Local why don't you just condense those into Politics. As for Weaving, normally I wouldn't but in this case I will, so yes.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:46 pm

Actually...no, if 3 Human years is 1 year in Salarian years, then a Salarian would have a birthday for 3 years...but one year...hang on

Okay, Sur'Kesh's orbital period is 1.2 Earth years, so a Salarian would have a birthday every 438 days, so....the date for a Salarian's birthday would jump forward 73 days every year on the Earth calendar, or roughly 2 & 2/3rd's of a month.

Wow. I'm going to have to pick a day and move the date of his birth forward 73 days every birthday until I figure out when his next birthday is on the Earth calendar. Jeez, I'm gonna have to count leap years too. What fun.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:00 pm

Or you could, legitimately, say that since he has zero memory of before being around the Pillar he could just start counting his years of existence from then on.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:50 pm

Oh. Good point. Ha, I just noticed you picked the same date as today. Eh, it's not like it's Christmas or anything.

There's got to be some way to find out how old someone is with magic or Weaving. We'll say he met one of his own kind who could tell him what he needed to know about Salarian aging on the Pillar calendar. As for counting days, We'll say he kept a notepad mainly to keep track of each day that passed for a grand total of 28 weeks, including the week the adventurers spent looking for the Gem of Tolmir. Counting back from October 1st, that would would put him at March 19th.

I'll still calculate when his birthday is at least for OOC age knowledge, but it would be great if we could find, or he had found, someone who could tell him how old he was. Maybe a Yellow Mage, or a Weaver, or a two-in-one.

I managed to figure it out. Days since he woke up in the pillar are changed, details in character sheet. I also discovered that 438 doesn't divide into 21.5 hours evenly--20.something--and 21*21.5 isn't a solid number either. 473 does divide by 21.5 evenly(22), and that's a 35 day difference. So I'm glad we're not playing on Sur'Kesh, or this would get needlessly complicated very quickly. Especially since we wouldn't have anything to work with except "planet cycles", which are another mystery altogether.

Which reminds me, I should go check on Rory's age.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Archengeia wrote:@Kolson: Martial Lore I'll say can be converted to Knowledge (Arcana).  As for History and Local why don't you just condense those into Politics.  As for Weaving, normally I wouldn't but in this case I will, so yes.
Will do. Thank you.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:27 am

For Knowledge skills, would characters need to "unlock" it first? I bought a bunch of books with some of the money I spent from finding the Gem of Tolmir, nonfiction and fiction alike.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next