Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Azeroth Campaign

+3
Rory
Kolson
Archengeia
7 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Azeroth Campaign - Page 4 Empty Re: Azeroth Campaign

Post by Archengeia Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:21 pm

Depends on the specifics.  I could do points, or I could eyeball it, but both are effectively the same thing.  Now, if you mean assigning a severity to an ad/disad, I'm okay with that (there's a difference between liking fire and REALLY liking fire for instance)
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwydo Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:50 pm

I haven't used advantages/disadvantages outside of White Wolf games, so I'm not sure how that would work.

How would you identify a bonus for having an advantage, or a negative for the disadvantage?

Are you going to enforce a cap? (Only have X number of advantages/disadvantages?)

Are you going to force equalization? (Equal number of advantages and disadvantages, or an equal point or bonus/negative?)
Gwydo
Gwydo

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Life
Class: Paladin
Race: Lugian

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:05 pm

In response to Gwydo:

It'd be the GM's judgement call.

No cap enforcement.

No forced equalization as long as the number is no greater than zero (in other words, advantages do not outweigh the disadvantages.  Also I might be flexible even on this point if you convince me it's purely for roleplaying or flavor)
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:14 pm

I'm going for an example, for my skeletal tauren guy dubbed Boreus for now, I'd probably go with the following.

- Skeletal Monstrosity - Boreus was considerably large even for tauren standards, and now that he's a skeleton, his appearance makes him look even more intimidating when he wants to. Maybe even spectral flames for eyes and breath, just to make it even more horrifying.
Disadv: Can't smell or feel pressure (wind, touch, etc), and any of his diplomacy attempts will be at a disadvantage if he can be seen.
Adv: Intimidation attempts are much more likely to succeed when he's in view, and is more attuned to spectral stuff, how much up to GM.

- You Don't Search For Your Past, Your Past Hunts You Down - Boreus had a past, even if he does not know or care about it. His deformed right horn makes him unique and easily recognizable by those that knew him before even in his current state. Quite probably had a name for himself and traveled a lot when alive.
Disadv: His past is going to affect Boreus even in undeath, like old friends or loved ones wanting to 'end his suffering', complete with 'this would be what he'd want', and/or simply people that want worse things than undeath to him.
Adv: He might have had one or two allies that would owe him one and still would want to return it even in his undead state. Not that he can ask for it tho.
PS: This wouldn't start to affect him until Boreus becomes more well-known.

- Unexplicable Rage - The skeletal tauren has been easy to enrage for the last couple of weeks, and knows not why. It's not pretty and does not give him any advantages whatsoever.
Disadv: The GM has white card on why it happens and when it happens. Boreus can control it as well as a berserk barbarian, which is not much, but enough to be able to tell enemies and allies apart.
Adv: N/A.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:27 pm

Javan pretty much hits the nail on the head for what I was going for with this customization.  I'm going to go ahead and approve all 3 right off the bat with no changes, since the 3 things I might tinker with are at GM's discretion anyways.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:13 am

Ok, my turn!

Trap-Sensing Sausage-Fingers
You've spent enough time wandering in the wilderness to find a hidden trap when it tingles your senses, but disarming it is another thing entirely. While you've never really thought about disarming traps or making use of them, you're incapable of attempting to do so without loosing a finger.
Advantage: Good at finding traps
Disadvantage: Poor at disarming traps

Hermit-Pariah
You hid from civilized life for quite a few years. Avoiding towns, cities, even travelers, has improved your subterfuge, but it's been detrimental to amiable social skills. Life spent in the wilderness has brought with it an improved critical understanding of terrain.
Advantage: Good at hiding and silently avoiding detection, can improvise with terrain/environment in combat(pseudo Knowledge: Geography)
Disadvantage: Poor at socializing(G.I.) and positively influencing disposition/actions of others(Diplomacy).

Apex Afflicted
You find your prey. You catch your prey. There is no "giving you the slip". If this was Elder Scrolls, Hircine would be proud. In addition, you've spent time studying Human behavior. You can smell lies. Unfortunately, you give off a bad vibe, and every creature of base intellect is terrified of you. Forget ordering an animal to do basic, learned things; you need someone else around to keep said animal calm in your presence. Worse, when you detect an animal, you find it difficult to focus on your current task. In fact, people are also adversely affected by this bad vibe, and you can do no more socially to a frightened individual aside from make them even more frightened, calm them down, or send them fleeing for their lives.
Advantage: Very good senses. Good at sensing lies. Good at pouncing(Jump) and Tumbling.
Disadvantage: Upon detecting you, animals will be frightened and require assistance in remaining calm, and that assistance certainly can't come from you.
Disadvantage, Cont.: Upon detecting an animal, you have to make a Concentration check to stay focused in social situations. If you fail, you take a penalty to any social skill checks(including Awareness) so long as any animal is present, and may lose a random detail. Succeeding in an Awareness roll will allow you In-Character knowledge that you did in fact miss something, but will need someone to repeat it. Said repeated detail is automatically known In-Character upon repetition.
Disadvantage, Cont.: When you Intimidate someone, you can only succeed in intimidating them. Any attempts to take advantage of their frightened state(i.e. getting them to tell the truth, "fall to command", etc) will automatically be met with failure, and this is also true of people you didn't directly frighten or intimidate. You can still demoralize enemies in combat, or send civilians fleeing from your presence if you so wish.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:42 am

I rather like those, Rory.  Just to make sure we're 100% on the same page, the automatic fearful thing is only really going to apply to normal animals, not 20 foot tall yeti or devilsaurs or whatnot.  Otherwise, I approve.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:39 am

Uh-huh, I figured. Size modifiers and all that. Plus devilsaurs...yeah, that's worse than a Worgen. We'll say it applies only to predatory animals medium or smaller, and all prey animals huge or smaller. Some prey animals are just two big to be phased, but otherwise still impose the penalty to Handle Animal, among other exceptions. Whales and piranhas are not likely to care for different reasons, so GM discretion plays an important part.

I do wanna make sure I touch one one other thing. I know I listed the pseudo Knowledge Geography benefit as combat-only, but I want to be able to benefit from it in other ways, like if I want to hide. Basically not an academic understanding, but more practical, so I'm not going to just know that 100 years ago people died and are buried under a specific area. That's not very useful. Instead, it's critical thinking applied to terrain that allows me to come up with a use for the environment I find myself in for a given solution or towards an end, or even just a bonus or reduced penalty.

Maybe I wanna cause rocks to fall, or be more effective at finding places to hide, or fill/bridge a gap with something. The knowledge alone might remove or reduce a penalty from a given terrain, or give me a bonus to a skill check, like knowing the different ways people could use forest terrain to hide traps would give me a bonus to Find Traps in a forest. If I'm going down a waterfall, I might be able to better estimate where the safest depth is, and take reduced damage if I still hit a rock.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:37 pm

Actually, can we limit what distracts a PC with "Apex Afflicted" to just land animals and large birds, and exclude marine life and any animals too small to be considered acceptable as a meal by Worgen standards? No distracting "morsels" basically, and I figure most Worgens, while they were crazy, didn't include any marine life in their diet unless they found it flopping around on a beach, or any high-flying bird unless it was limping around on the ground and easy to catch.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:43 pm

I am fine with this alteration.  Just this once though!  But yeah Worgen generally would go for something more cow sized if they were hungry so that makes sense to me.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Great!

I don't wanna sound pushy, but have you figured out the implementing of natural weapons?
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:34 pm

Yes.  And I'm not going to tell you how it works, as punishment for making me come up with a new rule just for you.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:07 pm

Lol, I just had this thought. Animals that detect me could flee from the forest, some crowding at the border of a nearby town/city. My reputation literally precedes me everywhere I go.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:26 pm

I think I know what you mean.It's just like receptionists running away from a certain barbarian, right?
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:39 pm

Funny, they never ran away from me. In seriousness, no, I won't be channeling Rory.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4