Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So, Thoughts on Format

5 posters

Go down

So, Thoughts on Format Empty So, Thoughts on Format

Post by Archengeia Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:12 pm

So I'll skip ahead in my thoughts; I get the impression that some players like the totally open format of what is effectively a sandbox and some do not. So put simply, is this an accurate assessment and/or what are your thoughts on the matter, and if it is true in any given case would more obvious plot hooks be desirable?
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

So, Thoughts on Format Empty Re: So, Thoughts on Format

Post by K Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:19 pm

I work better when there's a problem to solve. You could argue that my current thing with the Relief Effort party is a problem to solve - and spend the rest of my life solving, so maybe i'm not that long-term minded.

Looking at it the other way, going off and exploring, maybe hitting the Temples and becoming stronger, and just generally adventuring off is something that appeals to me, but i get we're trying to build something here, and i'm not about to shirk responsibility and leave mine to their fate.
K
K

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Monk
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:53 pm

I'm one of those who like the sandbox format. Mostly because I get to choose my own quests. Some hints like "Gretta wants to make a deal with the Olthoi" are also welcome. I'm always on the lookout for ways to expand the Exchange and I am more than willing to take suggestions from the NPCs.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:02 am

Well, I think it's pretty obvious I prefer the current open sandbox format. I think it works better for what we are trying to do with the Exchange.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:46 am

Sandbox is fine, having the world at my leisure to explore and "mine" is a good thing. We all like it. It's just difficult right now because we're trying to catch up to Snarg Timeline, waiting for the Vee-oceans to make their next move, or waiting for our next big break. In the interim, we need to keep ourselves occupied with long-term goals, those of which are getting the spotlight are only getting that attention because we are compelled to do so out of a lack of leads on the Vyeotians. If not for that, I wouldn't bat an eye at the predicament of the Exchange. Oghren and Bonebreaker bailed. I don't hold them accountable for anything, or condemn their choice. But it frees us from accountability as well, makes it completely reasonable for us to go rogue, if we wish. I'll help rebuild the Exchange, but I don't find it as fun as going after the bad guys, which admittedly wouldn't work with our current format. I care about finding Sareth, chasing the Vyeotiants and Gaerlan's next move. Those are fun things, but we can't really do them right now, or at least I don't know if we can with time-skipping, methods of passing game time. And now I've come full circle with this.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down