Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plotting a Heist

+2
Rory
Kolson
6 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Plotting a Heist - Page 4 Empty Re: Plotting a Heist

Post by Archengeia Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:11 am

The nearby terrain is the usual stone-and-cement mix that keeps the Thrush at bay, with the manor itself residing in a small valley which has no trees, shrubs, or other cover on approach to it.  Nearby, outside the small valley, are the usual assortment of short yet squat Sho buildings, though less sparse this close to the city's edge.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:06 am

Archengeia, Does Lightning Ball have an AoE other than the path directed? If it doesn't, I would be okay with using it as long as it takes a predictable path not originally crossing any persons, meaning nobody would be in the way and everyone would see it coming.

Awareness 12, is there anybody at or nearby the cannon, operating it?
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:38 am

From this distance you cannot see anyone operating the cannon.

And the lightning ball has no aoe, no.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:26 am

Zap it into disrepair, Javan!
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:09 pm

Meh, fine! Who cares if we push them into a corner and they go the extra mile after us! Right?!

*ZAP'EM CANNON!*
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:43 pm

You... you really want to do that?
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:46 pm

*Laughing madly*
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by K Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:23 pm

Might not be a good idea.

Suppose the cannon uses gunpowder, and not magical fairy dust. Now suppose they need to reload it quickly, necessitating more gunpowder nearby (i.e. an ammo store). Now suppose there are more people in that tower, even though you can't see them. You might be setting off a chain explosion, resulting in lots of dead people.

On the other hand, suppose the cannon does use magical fairy dust to operate. Not only will you most likely not disable the cannon (which has to be fortified against that sort of thing to begin with, this lady IS rich after all), you'll most likely be giving away your position for the cannon to blast at.

If you still wanna zap it, be my guest. Just be aware of the potential clust3rfvck that may ensue.

(I'm betting on option 2, btw, no way you're taking out a cannon that easy. Note to self, try and bring some thermite next time)

Last edited by K on Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
K
K

Character sheet
Class: Monk

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:46 pm

And I might just be near the lighthouse... Just saying.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:59 pm

Yeah, I was kidding, I guess it was too subtle... sorry about that.

Next time, I'm going to add a clear 'No, really, waiting for Kolson's orders' at the end of my post.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Essoje, how far and how high can you jump, taking running speed into account? I also assume you still have that smoke bomb, yes? If you can make it, how do you feel about smoke bombing the inside of the lighthouse? It should disrupt their ability to use the cannon for a little while and give Rory and Kolson some much needed cover.

Secondary Target: If you get the chance, wrecking their machinery or their ability to get to it would be good too but it isn't a priority. Your mission and then your safety is.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:26 pm

Arch, that magical device I'm seeing right now... does it work like the one I saw in the cavern near this village in Naverre? Where we met our first Tusker?
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:51 pm

I'm not sure how high, but Javan can do a Jump within 20 feet horizontally, as long as there's a valid target, which is up to the GM. Pretty sure running speed or any acceleration from the dragoon is ignored once the jump is started, or it would kill the Dragoon.

Also, I have no access to any smoke bombs unless I was given before this specific mission, and if that's the case, I missed it. Meaning that if I could make that jump up there somehow, I could jump INTO their machinery, I have 30 AC and can ignore DR5, making it perfect.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:25 pm

Why do I lack basic intuition? Of course there's gunpowder. But the explosion! I should have been an Imp. Actually in this setting, that would be Gnomes. Chaotic Gnomes.

Last edited by Rory on Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:29 pm

@Zeiss: No, but you've seen devices like this before used by the Flock.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:40 pm

Okay. And for what main purpose was the Flock using these devices for?

*really curious now*
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:31 pm

For... the same reason anyone would use remote camera devices that can record video and audio...?
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:38 am

Essoje wrote:I'm not sure how high, but Javan can do a Jump within 20 feet horizontally, as long as there's a valid target, which is up to the GM. Pretty sure running speed or any acceleration from the dragoon is ignored once the jump is started, or it would kill the Dragoon.

Also, I have no access to any smoke bombs unless I was given before this specific mission, and if that's the case, I missed it. Meaning that if I could make that jump up there somehow, I could jump INTO their machinery, I have 30 AC and can ignore DR5, making it perfect.

Whatever you think is best. It certainly makes for a funny image worthy of the old Bugs Bunny cartoons, lol.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:22 am

Ok. Arch, does Javan have a valid dragoonish way into to the lighthouse? If yes, Javan is going to make an approach while making sure to stay away from the cannon's aim, while leaving a valid way down as well.

If no, Javan continues doing whatever he was doing before, except keeping the last lightning ball for a later occasion.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:14 am

*taps chin* Well you can make that run to within range of the lighthouse in about 3 turns, going full tilt.  That's 3 turns of being attacked by everything that can see you, 1 of which will include the cannon itself.  Assuming you survive all 3 turns you could Jump up, targeting one of the people who (by then) you will notice is manning the cannon without any further checks.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:08 am

Ok, then here's what I'm going to do: I'm going to attract the cannon fire first, and delay my advance still the end of the turn. If I get hit by it, screw this Ima outta here or screw everything Ima dead. Otherwise, I'm going to make a mad dash for it. Javan's granite armor has a per day healing use, so he's going to use that he gets too damaged in a single turn.

Also, at least one of the assailants are going to be target of Dodge each turn. Now I just have to hope I get to keep mah character after all of this is said and done.

Oh, and in the case I somehow make it alive, I'm using the Awesome Spear of Doom (yeah, still have that), which is a confirmed Vyeotians weapon. How appropriate.

Numbers:

Last edited by Essoje on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:11 am

Okay, I got it.

Higaide has Evasion and Deflect Arrows and, if I have this right, movement of 50'. Just have Javan jump on his backo and charge. Right after I give Higaide my Blackened Helm to wear.

Hi-ho Silver! - Javan can take cover on Higaide's back by holding onto his torso and hovering, should only require relatively little effort to hold up whatever weight isn't supported by hanging onto him. This should also make it easier for Higaide to maintain his full charge speed with Javan on his back(not his shoulders, his back).

Deflect Arrows - Higaide can deflect arrows freely. The "deflect" part means that they won't just miss and hit Javan's wings, Higaide may have to make a conscious effort to deflect the arrows.

Evasion - pretty much speaks for itself. I'm not clear on whether this is applicable with the cannon or if the cannon has an AoE which would mean Javan would get hit too, that is if Higaide can successfully pull off an Evasion with Javan on his back so that they both benefit from the ability.

Unfortunately what this means is that if the cannon hits, both Javan and Higaide will need a heal, but not for as much. Fortunately, Cure is a multi-target valid spell, and does not require Dual-Cast to affect more than one target, however more targets mean a higher level to achieve the desired amplification of the spell per person.

Even if it still requires 3 turns and they end up getting hurt and healed and the dual-casts get used up, once Javan Jumps for the cannon, Higaide should be able to bolt right back getting healed each turn. Problem is, he has 68 HP, so when he does get hit, he's very likely to enter Down. This is why I'm offering my Blackened Helm, which provides 40 extra HP and doesn't count as armor(it literally has no AC), to give Higaide a max HP of 108.

Alternatively, I could be the Javan transport and just charge in Enraged to handle the damage with the extra Rage HP. Would need a Cure before the effect wears off(I could Enrage twice if need be) to not die.

You know what would be cool? Rolling Concentration to make Enraged stronger or last longer. What do you think, Dungeon Master?
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:33 am

Javan is, sadly, not a Moogle (Yet!). He's medium-sized, just like most of the party. Wearing full granite plate. Randomly, his wings are inconsequential for the dragoon's Jump.

I'm just going to say that he's going to force anyone trying to carry him into heavy load as soon as they try that, which in case of monks and barbarians, remove their extra speed, a bad idea.

But there are plenty of stuff we can use from that: Higaide acts as a decoy, gets the cannon to fire upon him (hopefully evading the shot), deflect arrows and so on, then Javan, who kept helding his turn, starts his mad dash. Higaide could then retreat, and the worst of the whole deal would be over, save Arch rolling 20s for the defenders' attacks in rapid succession.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:37 am

Hmm. Hand Higaide my helmet, get prep-cure from Kolson, I Enrage and all three of us charge, Javan delays advance, me and Higaide take cannonfire, Higaide drops back, Javan charges, I draw the next cannon fire, then I drop back while Javan moves in with his third turn.

Perhaps I could draw the attention of the cannon on the second turn by yelling and waving my arms wildly(Intimidate).

K, Kolson, how is plan? Sound good?
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:59 am

Except Rory took a cannon fire on the face for 86 damage. I'd say stay put in case all hell breaks lose and we need someone to get unconscious people out of the line of fire.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next