Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

March 8th

+2
Zeiss
Archengeia
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

March 8th      - Page 2 Empty Re: March 8th

Post by Kolson Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:51 am

Rory and Arch:
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:01 am

It occurs to Rory that given the society and culture of his people, his particular method of training is likely to have a 90% or higher fail rate given their general belief in the sanctity of life, lack of previous experience with hardship, total unfamiliarity to real military discipline, and having gone through hell and back more or less continuously over the last 3 months.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:26 am

Rather than expect the lot to be unruly and undisciplined, Rory will instead treat his training like a classroom. Instead of rigid, military methods, Rory will treat the recruits more like students, and appeal to what they stand to gain from learning to fight; protecting the self and others, and the power to make a practical difference when united as a team under a single purpose, such as guards or a mercenary band.

We'll get to the military discipline later.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:05 pm

Whenever I finished my previous tasks, I will go to Lightmane's office with a piece of paper with the characteristics of the Leycite written on it.

"We're looking for a buyer for this. Would Lady Lightmane be interested?"

OOC:
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by K Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:38 pm

Higaide reaches into his pocket and hands something to Zeiss.

"Here. It tastes like crap, even after you grill it."

ooc:
K
K

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Monk

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:41 pm

"Huh, okay...?"

Looks at Higaide with a strange look.

"Was that humor? Did you just make a joke? You did didn't you?"

Last edited by Zeiss on Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by K Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:47 pm

"I did. Just don't let any hot sauce anywhere near that thing, though."

He pauses...

"I'll do it. The relief effort thing. I don't know how we're supposed to get the resources to fund that kind of effort, but i'll do the work."
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:12 pm

Zeiss smiles.

"Happy to hear that. Don't worry about the money, I'll find us some. Hopefully."

He starts to walk away but suddenly stops.

"Oh, you need a title. Guardian. I think that sounds right for the work you'll be doing."

After nodding to his new colleague, Zeiss leaves.

Updating titles:

Zeiss: Overseer
Sareth: Ambassador
Kolson: Treasurer
Higaide: Guardian

Whenever Zeiss passes by Rory, he will ask him:

"Hey. I know you'll be training our guys for the foreseeable future. Do you want more responsibilities? How about Chief of Security? Sooner or later, I'll need to nominate someone to this position. Might as well be someone I can trust."

OOC:
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by K Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:17 pm

Higuardian scratches his head.

"(Title, huh...)"
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:05 am

OOC:

Zeiss:

• We'll hire a few human craftsman. Van will interview them.
  • Kolson will supervise the recruits who will move the food from the docks to the Veil.
  • I will select some recruits and use them as temporary guards. If there are basic weapons laying around, even simple sticks, they'll use it to make sure we don't lose our food to the refugees. We will still give some food to the refugees, but after we stored all the crates safely. They don't need to know what we brought back from Sho. I will also establish a proper patrol schedule.
  • Not sending that letter to Fahran of Silentblade. No enough information to convince me it's a good idea.
  • Still sending a letter to Gretta. After Kolson is done moving the food to the Veil, he will meet her to discuss the possible deal with the Olthoi. He talks skittish, which is nice. And I give him full authority on the matter.
  • No change to Radnaal's letter. Consider it sent. (I would be surprised if he showed up, but I can dream right?)
  • I sold the gems. 4gp, yeah!
  • As for my Mosswart thief, I will ask him to map out the Veil and attempt to find any hidden passages (I know it's a lot of work, I just need someone to start it). He can report in to either me or Sareth. I give him a piece of gold to make him understand that it's better to be working for me instead of against me.
  • I will search through the paperwork Bonebreaker left behind (must have left some if he disappeared so quickly).

New actions:

• Gave the Leycite to Kolson.
  • Went to Lightmane's office with a description of the Leycite's properties written on a piece of paper. Will ask Ursolan of Prowler if the Lady of Holtburg would be interested in buying it. Zeiss and Kolson came up with a price by using their skills and knowledge (we rolled everything that might be useful in doing this). They also took into account the current price of magicite. We would like to be paid in Writs and some gold. We could replace some of the money with economic/political rights.

Titles update:

• Zeiss: Overseer.
  • Kolson: Treasurer
  • Sareth: Ambassador
  • Higaide: Guardian
  • Rory: Master-at-Arms

Kolson:

His post:

Higaide:

His post:

Rory:

His post:

His other post:

Javan:

His post:

I'm guessing he wants to:

• Find out what he needs (in terms of materials) to start his mercenary company.
  • Starts recruiting.
  • Advoc will help with all tasks.

Last edited by Zeiss on Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:49 pm

OOC:
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:22 am

Zeiss wrote:Whenever Zeiss passes by Rory, he will ask him:

"Hey. I know you'll be training our guys for the foreseeable future. Do you want more responsibilities? How about Chief of Security? Sooner or later, I'll need to nominate someone to this position. Might as well be someone I can trust."
"'Chief of Security'?" He echoed. "If it's a role you want me to fill, you should try to find someone you can groom for second-in-command, you know I like my freedom. Now, what exactly do you want me to do?"
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:49 am

"Oh, you would be in charge of security in the Veil and all our holdings within Holtburg. Setting up the patrols and making sure the guards do their job."

Zeiss pauses for a moment.

"I'm mostly trying to find you a role within the Exchange which would justify giving you a percentage of our net profits. You will get your share for the job we pulled off in Sho, and our special transaction with Lady Lightmane. You'll even have a decent salary as a trainer. But after that, I have no idea how to give you money."

He thinks for a moment.

"...If you don't want the job, you could invest into the Exchange. Assuming our transaction with Lady Lightmane goes well, your share of the money should make you the richest human on the continent."

He smiles at the unusual idea.

"If you were to invest that money, it would allow you to gain a controlling interest of the Exchange. How about it? Do you want a job where you do important things for the Exchange or would you rather invest? You could also choose neither of these options, I guess... But do you really want me and Kolson hoarding all the money to ourselves?"

OOC:
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:19 pm

Rory tilted his head, bewildered, and sighed. "Sometimes it's like opening a book with you and reading the same paragraph over and over again."

He grabbed a beer from somewhere nearby. "I'll tell you what," he said, popping the top and taking a swig. "Right now, I'll take this title: arms-trainer...trainer-at-arms, something like that. It's on the tip of my tongue, but it sounded pretty keen, and I think I'm using it correctly. We'll all put our heads together on how to do patrols correctly so I can ease into that responsibility and manage the guards." He spoke with confidence, not in earnest. His tone conveyed arbitration as opposed to mediation.

"When I'm settled into that, you can give me a new title reflecting it, to justify sending money my way; commander, captain, whatever. And I'll mentor a promising candidate to be my second, cuz I won't let this position tie me down when something super important happens somewhere else and I'm wanted there, or I want to be there."
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:31 pm

Rory's comparison of Zeiss to a book left him slightly confused, but he decided to ignore it and listen to his counteroffer.

"Sounds fair. I wasn't really expecting us to stay permanently in Holtburg either as I already planned to have Sareth temporarily take my place when we're gone on business. That settles it then."

OOC:
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:20 pm

Zeiss arranges for Van to interview what Humans are here, those helping with the food transportation and otherwise, to try and see whom has skill in crafting. Of course he finds no Weavers of any noteworthy skill, as these are Humans after all, but quite a few do seem to have skills in tailoring, smithing, and the like, albeit primitively. Zeiss also begins gathering a few of his fresh-from-the-university recruits Van and Sareth had wrangled into defacto guard duty, though they obviously have no idea how to wield their weapons properly they will at least serve as a visual deterrent. Zeiss then sends two letters off, gives orders to the young Mosswart, and spends the entire rest of his day ruffling through a massive pile of paperwork. Throughout the course of said day he finds it's almost entirely basic bureaucratic files, keeping track of payments and goods, with only 4 files that Zeiss personally deems worthy of note, each detailing some shifting trends that would indicate more profitable trade routes if they were looked into (though the information is a couple of weeks old by this point). Finally, later in the evening (just before dinner) Zeiss and Kolson head to the offices to rendezvous with Ursolan of Prowler who has, ironically, just returned from having visited Rory. After about half an hour of discussion, it becomes clear to both of them that the Drudge has no idea what Leycite is nor how valuable it could be and both of you secure his promise that he will inform the Lady as soon as he's able of the potential deal. While out and about they also look into Magicite prices, which at the moment are very high due in no small part to the ongoing issues at the edge of the Dires with the Gotrok which has severely hampered the only active Magicite node the Aluvian Kingdom has a claim to right now.

Most of Kolson's remainder of his day is eaten up trying to herd directionless people who've been displaced from where they lived... twice... Though he does end up more successful then one would expect, but it's clear that if he wants this to continue on a full time basis (especially since most of the people involved despised the manual labor so much they aren't interested in continuing it) something more concrete will need to be hammered out, probably with some convenient NPC who has Leadership and Profession: Labor Manager or something similar. Nevertheless a good fifth of the food is transited into the Veil over the course of the day.

Higaide, aiding in the mass food transit, does spot more than a few Humans he'd recognize, though not much past faces and the occasional name attached. He does not spot anyone he knows well.

Rory initially has no success contacting Ursolan, instead leaving a message with information that he is heading towards an armory he was pointed at earlier. While there he finds a lone Steel Composite Longbow for 150g which the dealer is willing to part with for 137g plus the Iron bow that Rory currently has.
Regardless of how this deal turns out, he then initially tries to gather what people he can amongst the Human refugees and the fresh-from-the-university recruits the Exchange still has on the payroll and begin a rather intimidating exercise in training. It becomes clear to him, very quickly, that his attempts are having the exact opposite effect and he quickly succeeds at a nicely diplomatic turn to explain he was simply testing them, and segues into a more lenient attitude explaining how their training will commence, with basic training starting tomorrow on the 9th (or another date Rory deems suitable).
This task done, Rory, a bit irritable no doubt, decides to relax at the Squid's Humor. On his way out though he actually almost literally runs into Ursolan of Prowler, who currently has his staff refusing all calls except for those of the Exchange and his immediate superiors, and his staff obviously did not recognize Rory. He apologizes to Rory for the confusion and talks with him about the 'Human situation', and learns that official Aluvian policy has been recently set by joint admission of the Aristocracy that Humans may apply for citizenship within the Kingdom only through familial military service (they or their immediate family members), otherwise they will be treated as vagabonds and forcibly ejected. This same policy has actually also recently been extended towards many of those of the Stonehold region as well. Ursolan himself is unaware of anything past this though, as it is well outside of his jurisdiction and he is only aware of this because it was announced officially just a few days ago.

While all this is going on, Javan has not been having the best of luck in the area finding people willing to fight, though he's been very successful in figuring out why; everyone with a fighting arm has been convinced (sometimes rather forcibly) to enlist in the Aluvian Military. Javan also learns that the first, second, and third Warrior Corps (consisting almost entirely of refugee recruits) have already been formed and will likely march on Naverre within days, under the controversial command of Oberst Jeena of Autumnwatcher, a Lord Elf woman who had been pushed into early retirement due to a fallout of political favor who has since been dragged back in on direct orders of the High Queen. Two Frigates will be accompanying this fighting force.

Whomever chooses to dine at the Squid's Humor finds it packed with the usual assortment of races, especially since the chef currently has a special on Fiery Calamari, which is reportedly infused with tiny flakes of Lugian Rocksalt (and requires a waiver to purchase) and a 'secret ingredient' which makes it have a powerful kick. Also on the menu is Sleeper Surprise (a spiced Sleeperfish mash with spinach, spiced sausage, and tomatoes diced in) Saberbroth (a thick chowder made of several different fish harvested from up and down the Holtburg coasts, with 5 different herbs mixed in) and Braised Sturgeon Stew (with the fish cooked and braised separately, then added to a thick stew of potatoes, peppers, carrots, zucchini, and squash). There's a huge selection of drinks of course, from Sweetmelon juice to Hot & Wroth (a lightly alcoholic cherry drink), Thunderbelly Porter (which reportedly has actual Air Element infused into it somehow), Sugar Pear Cider, and something called Nitro Fuel.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:21 pm

Zeiss orders a plate of Saberbroth and a glass of Thunderbelly Porter. He seems exhausted and prefers to eat in silence, but will crack a smile whenever he hears a good joke. As for Advoc, he decides to engage in a discussion with other patrons of the Squid's Humor, probably shocking them because of how talkative he is for an Aspect.

Last edited by Zeiss on Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:28 pm

Meanwhile, Rory IS none too pleased with the news he hears from Ursolan.

"Perfect. What have we done?"
he asked indignantly. "If there's a good reason for this, let's hear it."

Rory listened to justifications or apologies briefly, but it was not enough to soothe his resentment. "Just what I've come to expect from the glorious kingdom of Aluvia: kindness at a price, be it gold or blood," he rants after saying farewell, storming off to the docks. Keenly he felt the sting of grievance, of contempt towards himself because of what he was and where he came from. On the way, he reflexively eye non-human citizens not of the Stonehold races. His gaze was a look of judgment, of wonder: who among you, he wondered, who is okay with this? Who can look me in the eye?
ooc:

On the way, he contemplates bumping into another pedestrian, someone his size, well-dressed. He thinks better of it, but too late, they end up bumping into each other anyway, but with less impact than they would have otherwise.
OOC: Possible encounter.

He opened the door to the Squid's Humor, later than he promised. Looking for the others coming, he found at least two, and breathed slowly, visibly trying to relax, massaging his tired features. His face lost most of its shade of red by the time he reached the table.
Roleplay + Orders:
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:03 pm

After thanking the work crews and promising a more permanent solution, Kolson makes his way to dinner at the Squid's Humor. He looks to see if anyone had beet him there and joins Zeiss as soon as he spots him. For food he orders a cup of Saberbroth as an appetizer of sorts and the entree Sleeper Surprise. To drink he'll have Sweetmelon juice, an old favorite of his.

"Whew, what a day. I have about a fifth of the food moved but we are going to need a more permanent solution to our porter issue. They didn't mind helping out this time but most of our people aren't cut out for manual labor."
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:50 pm

The waiter does in fact require everyone present to sign the waiver, lest economic recompense is pursued for injured taste-buds from the Rocksalt. The Cider is especially sweet tonight, and the Sleeper Surprise has a bit more flavoring than usual, for good or for bad.

Rory may or may not recall the gentleman's face but the man he collided with earlier was a Half-Elf Half-Orc who looked reasonably well dressed, and is currently sitting several tables away from him at the Humor, talking loudly with several other well-dressed men and women about how Holtburg's going to hell and they need to clean out all the trash, soon, before it really brings the local economy to its knees.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:18 pm

Javan, who had just returned from the restroom after arriving with Advoc, rejoined the party's table in time to see his Braised Sturgeon Stew and Thunderbelly Porter order arrive just in time. The fairy looked a bit exhausted, but not as much as when he arrived as Zeiss and Advoc would be able to attest.

Taking a sip from his drink, probably scanning it as well with his elemental sight, he starts to talk, "Man, today was a total bummer! Zeiss probably already knows this, because you know... Advoc? Anyways, the whole city is fresh out of people that can fight at all. Also, I didn't want to bring this up here, but it's kinda pertinent to Rory and Higs..."

The fairy approaches the center of the table and lowers his voice, so only the people at table will probably what he says, "So, this Oberst Jeena of Autumnwatcher, a fallen big hat got back into action by direct orders of the High Queen herself, well, she's going to leave to war in a few days. Normally, I'd not give a second thought about it, but she's leading the first to third Warrior Corps. Which is mostly formed by refugees, which means lots of youmans are in there as well..."

Javan stops for a bit and takes a long sip, finding himself unable to continue without some kind of motivator, "Wow, this is good... Ahem, uh, also heard some pretty scary stories of some of the drafting 'strategies' as well from family members and friends of the drafted, refugee or not. I'm seriously considering leaving here and try retracing all the places I went since I've became an adventurer. Not only should I be able to get a hands-on view on the state of things out there, I may be able to find some good and able people to work with, maybe even help some people along the way... I dunno, I don't think I can do much better than that right now."

The dragoon trailed off and sighed, starting to concentrate on eating his stew and listen to his comrades.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:56 pm

After Kolson is done relating the events of his day, Zeiss answers:

"We'll have one of our recruits with proper training take charge tomorrow. I'll take care of it."

He waits for the waiter and asks:

"Mister? How much for a piece of Rocksalt?"

He whispers to Kolson.

"I could use it as a weapon."

Javan then entered and related his own events which Zeiss already knew about seeing that his Aspect followed the fairy around all day. Javan's project to leave Holtburg seemed serious.

"...Are you by any chance planning to go through Glenden Wood? The Hub is closed after all."

He asks this with a serious look on his face.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:47 am

"I could. I mean, it's not like I have a concrete plan... Uh, Zeiss, why are you making that face? Erm, I guess I need some kind of goal after all. So... hm, yeah, sure. Suddenly feeling like going there."

The fairy finishes his drink, suddenly getting up, waving at the waiter with a smile in his face, "Man, this is really good! Hey, get me another one of this, will ya! Thanks!" He then sits back down and turns back to Zeiss and nods once, "So what you need my help with there?"
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:20 am

Zeiss hesitates for a moment but finally decides to tell him.

"I was planning to track down three of my childhood friends. We... took different paths. I wanted to offer them a position within the Exchange, but the Hub is closed. There's a good chance that they still live in the Glenden Wood region."

He stops, appearing strangely contemplative. Making sure nobody else except the party could hear him, he adds:

"I used to live in Glenden Wood with my father. He's probably still there... I haven't checked in a few years. I wanted to take him back to Holtburg to protect him from the assassins who attacked us. I doubt they tracked him down, yet, but I don't want to take any chance anymore. You... I would be grateful if you protected him in my stead until you both return to Holtburg."

He cannot help but smile a little before saying:

"He used to be an adventurer. You would learn a lot from him."

OOC:
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:56 am

"Family. That must be nice... I mean, look at that smile, it's blinding! Sure, that's something I can do. It'll take some time tho. I'll probably... hrm... visit Ritholme, make a prayer for the lost around the Doom Crater and cry for a while... then go to Redmoore... yeah, aiming towards Arwic while visiting all kinds of villages. You can give me a letter for your father and some more precise information written down about your friends before I leave tomorrow morning, it should simplify things down. I'll need the time to prepare for the journey after all."
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next