Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 3: April 4th - 11th April

+2
Rory
Zeiss
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Week 3: April 4th - 11th April Empty Week 3: April 4th - 11th April

Post by Zeiss Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:43 pm

Rory, I will cover the costs of setting up the smiting equipment. Keep the money you salvaged.

How many weaver can I hire and how much for one of them? I'll decide whether I hire one depending on your answer.

Main goals:

• -Zeiss personally involved- As soon as I learn about Qui-Gon's progress, I will change my approach. We're a business, so let's start by making a trade deal with the other Blocs: they need to sell their stuff and I have access to the Hub, my own caravans and the Blackbrine smugglers. The hidden goal is to make the other Blocs financially dependent on us, so we'll coordinate the routes for everyone in the Holtburg region, find the clients they need for them and even buy some of their stock if we can turn a profit. It will also allows us to standardize the shipping methods in this region. We'll start by sending representatives to these two Blocs we made contact with while Qui-Gon goes to meet other Blocs with the same offer. Zeiss' attitude: very diplomatic, straightforward and matter-of-fact. To fight each other would be a waste of resources and lives, so let's keep the peace.
  • -Zeiss personally involved- Me, Gretta's men and my spy network will try to connect the letter we found in Huldar's camp to Myra of Hammersmith. Then roll knowledge politics (and anything else useful) to figure out how best to approach this obvious blackmail attempt. We will gather support from other people before "confronting her" if that's the best course to follow. Gretta is welcome to share her input if she can.

Secondary goals:

• -Zeiss personally involved- Hire X decent number of headhunters in each major city of Aluvia to recruit for me.
  • -Zeiss personally involved- Lightmane has been gone from Holtburg a while now, so let's see if Zeiss can act like the new liaison for her supertransport magitek trawler's company. Maybe we can take over it if no one else has already done so. Zeiss will be careful and taste teh waters first... and use deception.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- Diversify our trade so we do not depend so much on the profits made from the food. If that's not too late, the Exchange and Gretta will set up a trade deal with the Olthoi like she previously suggested. Also, pursue other opportunities.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- We don't just "move" goods, we can also hide them for a certain period of time within the Veil. Let us become the "Wares' Bank" if there's a demand for it. We can also hide people... but not slaves. Because screw slavery.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- Look for companies, buildings or other properties that might be advantageous for us to acquire.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- I recruit new Guardians for the Holtburg "cell" since the others all left for Glenden Wood. Here's the philosophy: we won't just provide for the refugees (and anyone else in need), but we will also teach them what they need to know to survive; so let's recruit some teachers. For the moment however, we'll focus on the refugees, especially the Humans.
  • -Zeiss personally involved- I start to recruit for my spy network in the other major cities of Aluvia following the model my organization's hierarchy (I added a link in my signature). While I travel around the country, I'll ask some of my competent acquaintances I made while I was with the Bloodied Flock if they want to join up (less risky, better pay). They would train my recruits and manage some of my stuff.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- Hire a ship big enough to transport the food from Kinz'Lizakh's warehouses to the harbour the Blackbrine pointed us at. We'll then move the food through this section of the Veil we weren't aware of. Send the standard corporate message to Kinz'Lizakh written in Serpent.

Tertiary goals:

• -Zeiss the Delegator- The spy network will review the Exchange's employees to make sure nobody is working against us. It will also give them experience so they can "level up" at some point.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- Notify the family of the spy who died (CIA style) if he has any, and give them a decent stipend.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- Continue mapping the Veil.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- I thank the Blackbrine for their gift.
  • -Zeiss personally involved- I take some time to talk with Antheol.

Last edited by Zeiss of Dreamkeeper on Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:30 am; edited 7 times in total
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Week 3: April 4th - 11th April Empty Re: Week 3: April 4th - 11th April

Post by Rory Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:00 pm

ooc:

To start, a letter to Kinz'Lizakh, our food magnate, is in order:

First, Rory will casually slip that the Exchange is thriving under current management.
Second, Rory would like him to see that a counter-rumor is spread, one of hands-tied benevolent Republic that will open its doors shortly.
Rory will earnestly appeal to him to support the bleeding heart side of the political issue regarding the refugees if the combated rumor nonetheless turns out to be true(or self-fulfilling), and advocate that the city(and Republic border in general) be welcoming to those looking to earn a living(what was the saying again? He who does not work...) of their ultimate choosing(no pressing into military with overwhelming incentive! Aluvia already tried that, these are the ones who refused and they're not dumb!), with benefits such as temporary asylum at the least, with citizenship an attainable goal within near future. Maybe even take in a few himself.
Rory will imply that the fund agreed upon for his food would increase if he is successful - retroactively as well, depending on what that would be vs what we(or I) have. If we can, we save the retroactive bonus to apply upon success over the issue, and the increase to the actual deal for future transfer to be added right away as motivation... Unless we only had to pay him once. In which case it will be one payment.

The day Rory will appear to the contact in the hub city is drawing near. He waits with grim apprehension...
ooc:

More to come.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:17 pm

OOC:
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:24 pm

Javan's next turn:

- Keep Zeiss up-to-date what exactly is happening in Mallowmont by messenger.

- Send letters to the neighboring villages and towns that have upstanding leadership, explaining the White Scarves' raison d'etre, expanding ambitions, Mallowmont's current situation, and asking for support of any kind (including political) so that Mallowmont's Mayor's (MM for short) deeds do not go unpunished, and to give legitimacy the White Scarves acts, allowing them to expand in hopes that they can fill the opening in internal defense that was left when the military marched into war. A few details will be added, pointing at a certain crater and how it generally came to be as an example of why they shouldn't think the war won't touch them this close to Holtburg and that they shouldn't wait for things to get worse to start acting.

- Quickly form an open hearing to investigate MM's past dealings and transgressions, approaching the population that if they want to see the Mayor taking responsibility for everything he did to the town they should participate with information, support, etc. If enough evidence is gathered, even the military will be disinclined of letting MM go unpunished. Also, don't make it a show, but still make it easy for people to see what's going on.

- Meet with local leadership and do his best to gain points with them while this mess unfolds.

- Start recruiting for the White Scarves again, because why not.

- At the end of the week, make sense of the dirty gathered on MM, hopefully there will enough to make something about it next week.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:47 am

Martial training
Something our people don't have that the military does: magic. Rory will have our gather info people find two expert Red mages who are willing to train by taking on apprentices, and dedicate their services to our faction. Rory will hire them for the expressed purpose of training people in the mastery of(the Force!) Black, White, and Red magic. If two cannot be found, or even one, the information network will settle for Black magic instead of Red. Possibly more recruiting next week if I cannot find at least two mages.

Guess who gets to handle lie-detecting duty during the interviews? Or do them himself? *points at Zeiss* Here's looking at you, kid.

Passing the Torch
Additionally, Rory will offer offensive light infantry the chance to harness the power of (the Dark Side! *cough* ahem...) Rage.
RP: He will essentially explain the basics to the people who wanna learn, then spar with each one until he/she successfully Rages. Taunt and attack.

Old-fashioned Crafting
While that smithing equipment up, Rory will go into the market for materials needed to fill the following orders:

Steel
1) Enough for our heavy infantry to have steel armor.
2) Enough for everyone to fight with steel weaponry.

Reedshark Hide (If we can't get that, we'll get Chittick hide instead?)
1) Enough for our light infantry to to perform to satisfaction with adequate protection.
2) Extra for the smiths to get it right(assuming we can get Reedshark Hide).

This will likely take up the middday slot for most of the week. Rory will consult with Gretta's people for reliable merchants to avoid the local markup when we can, and in order to buy reedshark hide if such is necessary in order to obtain it at all. Orders for our smiths pending.

Gretta's people:

Zeiss:

Last edited by Rory on Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:05 pm

Higaide arrives at HQ with Sareth.

He's gonna check if everyone is alright, then his recruits, then get up to date on the situation regarding the coup.

(This is just a placeholder in case anyone wants to say anything. I'll be trying to draft up some tasks for him, unless anybody needs help with stuff.)
K
K

Character sheet
Class: Monk

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:29 am

Per the rule, moving forward with the week.

Main goals:

• -Zeiss personally involved- As soon as I learn about Qui-Gon's progress, I will change my approach. We're a business, so let's start by making a trade deal with the other Blocs: they need to sell their stuff and I have access to the Hub, my own caravans and the Blackbrine smugglers. The hidden goal is to make the other Blocs financially dependent on us, so we'll coordinate the routes for everyone in the Holtburg region, find the clients they need for them and even buy some of their stock if we can turn a profit. It will also allows us to standardize the shipping methods in this region. We'll start by sending representatives to these two Blocs we made contact with while Qui-Gon goes to meet other Blocs with the same offer. Zeiss' attitude: very diplomatic, straightforward and matter-of-fact. To fight each other would be a waste of resources and lives, so let's keep the peace.
    This new approach overall seems to be garnering a more positive response, though time will tell with regards to fruition.

• -Zeiss personally involved- Me, Gretta's men and my spy network will try to connect the letter we found in Huldar's camp to Myra of Hammersmith. Then roll knowledge politics (and anything else useful) to figure out how best to approach this obvious blackmail attempt. We will gather support from other people before "confronting her" if that's the best course to follow. Gretta is welcome to share her input if she can.
    Zeiss can forgery the letter to try and attach it to Myra of course, and Gretta mentions that this type of blackmail would be pretty dangerous since it could only result in one of two outcomes; The Lady Hammersmith coming after you guys with military might, or a few concessions.  This type of blackmail, in short, wouldn't be enough to oust her.

Secondary goals:

• -Zeiss personally involved- Hire X decent number of headhunters in each major city of Aluvia to recruit for me.
    This will take some time, but if Zeiss is willing to skim it a bit he can find one person in each of the cities except Lytlethorpe.
  • -Zeiss personally involved- Lightmane has been gone from Holtburg a while now, so let's see if Zeiss can act like the new liaison for her supertransport magitek trawler's company. Maybe we can take over it if no one else has already done so. Zeiss will be careful and taste the waters first... and use deception.
    Zeiss discovers that the company's office is completely abandoned when he arrives, and most of their contacts (as well as her ship) seem to be gone.  Digging around a bit he learns that Ursolan of Prowler was partially responsible for evacuating the company, and Zeiss rolls well enough to learn that the ship was supposedly heading for the Republic.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- Diversify our trade so we do not depend so much on the profits made from the food. If that's not too late, the Exchange and Gretta will set up a trade deal with the Olthoi like she previously suggested. Also, pursue other opportunities.
    The Exchange can start leaning into illegal and smuggled goods with some of the backing it has now, which include all sorts of things including weapons, armor, Leyslice, poisons, and at the moment anything Naverre.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- We don't just "move" goods, we can also hide them for a certain period of time within the Veil. Let us become the "Wares' Bank" if there's a demand for it. We can also hide people... but not slaves. Because screw slavery.
    Fortunately Zeiss is well aware that slavery is not a thing in the region.  Because screw slavery.  The idea to act as a Repository Vault is actually quite a good one and will generate a decent amount of money, though long term... and the better defended it is, the more prestige and money it will generate.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- Look for companies, buildings or other properties that might be advantageous for us to acquire.
    Bad rolls this week, nothing really crosses the Exchange's attention.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- I recruit new Guardians for the Holtburg "cell" since the others all left for Glenden Wood. Here's the philosophy: we won't just provide for the refugees (and anyone else in need), but we will also teach them what they need to know to survive; so let's recruit some teachers. For the moment however, we'll focus on the refugees, especially the Humans.
    Recruitment efforts are ongoing, but by and large successful since non war-related professions aren't really in demand right now.
  • -Zeiss personally involved- I start to recruit for my spy network in the other major cities of Aluvia following the model my organization's hierarchy (I added a link in my signature). While I travel around the country, I'll ask some of my competent acquaintances I made while I was with the Bloodied Flock if they want to join up (less risky, better pay). They would train my recruits and manage some of my stuff.
    This being done while traveling to the other Aluvian Major Cities for previous point to limit travel time.  Most of the Flock members aren't exactly obstinate, but most don't see the need to join up since the assassin business is booming right now.  Though there's some politics going on with the Flock being legally barred in several States of Naverre now.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- Hire a ship big enough to transport the food from Kinz'Lizakh's warehouses to the harbour the Blackbrine pointed us at. We'll then move the food through this section of the Veil we weren't aware of. Send the standard corporate message to Kinz'Lizakh written in Serpent.
    Will factor this into the weekly profits and losses.

Tertiary goals:

• -Zeiss the Delegator- The spy network will review the Exchange's employees to make sure nobody is working against us. It will also give them experience so they can "level up" at some point.
    A total of 53 individuals are found within the Exchange who are openly working with other bandit and Bloc groups.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- Notify the family of the spy who died (CIA style) if he has any, and give them a decent stipend.
    40g expenditure.  The family doesn't take it particularly well.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- Continue mapping the Veil.
    Man, this Veil is huge.  It's almost like it's 60 square miles or something.  But seriously, this is an ongoing thing.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- I thank the Blackbrine for their gift.
    Standard gratitude given.

ooc:
The style of writing by Vesayen hands is noticeably cruder than most of those in the rest of the continent, and therefore distinct.

To start, a letter to Kinz'Lizakh, our food magnate, is in order:

First, Rory will casually slip that the Exchange is thriving under current management.
Second, Rory would like him to see that a counter-rumor is spread, one of hands-tied benevolent Republic that will open its doors shortly.
Rory will earnestly appeal to him to support the bleeding heart side of the political issue regarding the refugees if the combated rumor nonetheless turns out to be true(or self-fulfilling), and advocate that the city(and Republic border in general) be welcoming to those looking to earn a living(what was the saying again? He who does not work...) of their ultimate choosing(no pressing into military with overwhelming incentive! Aluvia already tried that, these are the ones who refused and they're not dumb!), with benefits such as temporary asylum at the least, with citizenship an attainable goal within near future. Maybe even take in a few himself.
Rory will imply that the fund agreed upon for his food would increase if he is successful - retroactively as well, depending on what that would be vs what we(or I) have. If we can, we save the retroactive bonus to apply upon success over the issue, and the increase to the actual deal for future transfer to be added right away as motivation... Unless we only had to pay him once. In which case it will be one payment.
Quick note; Kinz'Lizakh is a Burun of the Sho Empire, and not the Republic.  However if Rory is simply petitioning to him that he try to make the Empire take in the refugees, this applies.  Assuming this is true; Rory will receive a letter in return by the end of the week from Kinz'Lizakh stating that he finds a large, relatively cheap labor force to be a beneficial thing and assuming the Republic's doors are closed, he has no problem arranging for their positioning within the Hebian-To District.

The day Rory will appear to the contact in the hub city is drawing near. He waits with grim apprehension...
Just for fun I'd like Rory to try and describe, in or out of character, how he's going to convince the Mites that he is allowed to use the Hub given his violent disposition.

I still need to know how much that deal with the Blackbrine will cost me. I was looking forward to paying it, unless Zeiss steals my thunder. And unless I don't have as much as they demand.
About 150g all told.

Javan's next turn:

- Keep Zeiss up-to-date what exactly is happening in Mallowmont by messenger.
Zeiss will receive this letter by the end of the week, since messages in general are very slow to transit right now.
- Send letters to the neighboring villages and towns that have upstanding leadership, explaining the White Scarves' raison d'etre, expanding ambitions, Mallowmont's current situation, and asking for support of any kind (including political) so that Mallowmont's Mayor's (MM for short) deeds do not go unpunished, and to give legitimacy the White Scarves acts, allowing them to expand in hopes that they can fill the opening in internal defense that was left when the military marched into war. A few details will be added, pointing at a certain crater and how it generally came to be as an example of why they shouldn't think the war won't touch them this close to Holtburg and that they shouldn't wait for things to get worse to start acting.
Javan's letters are met with a mix of reactions, though primarily centered around fear and anger.  In 2 cases he gets no response at all.  Westermill responds stating that whatever demands the Scarves have they will acquiesce to.  Bellcoast responds stating that if the Scarves try 'that type of funny business' with them they'll petition for military aid.  And Falconwynne responds stating that the affairs of the other cities are none of theirs.

- Quickly form an open hearing to investigate MM's past dealings and transgressions, approaching the population that if they want to see the Mayor taking responsibility for everything he did to the town they should participate with information, support, etc. If enough evidence is gathered, even the military will be disinclined of letting MM go unpunished. Also, don't make it a show, but still make it easy for people to see what's going on.
The 'trial', for lack of a better word, quickly becomes a venue of entertainment.  People start selling popcorn, teaselers, and local beers at small hastily-established stands for people to observe the ongoing interrogation of MM (tm).  Through Javan's interactions, he determines without much difficulty the guilt of the MM (tm) and learns that he's been doing so with the support of another nearby Bloc, which the MM claims is centered in Holtburg.  He doesn't know much about them, name or the like, but he does know that his contact is a Dwarf whom he hasn't encountered in some time.

- Meet with local leadership and do his best to gain points with them while this mess unfolds.
Diplomacy rolls... partially fail.  The locals are ambivalent.

- Start recruiting for the White Scarves again, because why not.
Bad rolls here but I'd like the Scarves to expand so *flub flub* Javan manages to recruit one more individual from the local military, someone who wants to be on the front lines rather than staying here on guard duty.  Javan can recruit this young Dwarven woman (details to follow) as long as Javan promises some real action.

Martial training
Something our people don't have that the military does: magic. Rory will have our gather info people find two expert Red mages who are willing to train by taking on apprentices, and dedicate their services to our faction. Rory will hire them for the expressed purpose of training people in the mastery of(the Force!) Black, White, and Red magic. If two cannot be found, or even one, the information network will settle for Black magic instead of Red. Possibly more recruiting next week if I cannot find at least two mages.

Guess who gets to handle lie-detecting duty during the interviews? Or do them himself? *points at Zeiss* Here's looking at you, kid.
Rory has zero success finding anyone versed in White Magery (since it's been nationalized recently) or Red Mages (ditto), but he does find several Black Mages who are passing through and willing to settle in and teach rather than sell their services.  They don't come cheap though, and agree to work for 40g a week each.

Passing the Torch
Additionally, Rory will offer offensive light infantry the chance to harness the power of (the Dark Side! *cough* ahem...) Rage.
RP: He will essentially explain the basics to the people who wanna learn, then spar with each one until he/she successfully Rages. Taunt and attack.
Interesting approach.  Some of the recruits will take towards this barbarian approach, mostly the Stoneholders.

Old-fashioned Crafting
While that smithing equipment up, Rory will go into the market for materials needed to fill the following orders:

Steel
1) Enough for our heavy infantry to have steel armor.
2) Enough for everyone to fight with steel weaponry.
This will cost a ton of gold.  Off the top of my head, given the amount of troops you have, we're looking at about 40g a head, and your current strength is at roughly 144 people, aka 5760g.

Reedshark Hide (If we can't get that, we'll get Chittick hide instead?)
1) Enough for our light infantry to to perform to satisfaction with adequate protection.
2) Extra for the smiths to get it right(assuming we can get Reedshark Hide).
This won't be AS expensive but since you have more Light this will run somewhere around 7200g.

This will likely take up the midday slot for most of the week. Rory will consult with Gretta's people for reliable merchants to avoid the local markup when we can, and in order to buy reedshark hide if such is necessary in order to obtain it at all. Orders for our smiths pending.

I recall that Gretta's people had trees and lumber? They will provide the wood for the wood materials. I am sure some leather will be needed for grips, so we'll include that in our search for materials. Or we can handwave it all, your choice.
This is correct and is calculated into lowering the costs listed above.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:24 pm

I need to know how much money we made this week.

I won't skim my search for headhunters. I need to find people who are trustworthy and reliable; if it means I hire less of them, so be it.

The Exchange will start leaning into illegal goods... except the Leyslice. We'll still try to find out who are the Leyslice's suppliers so I can take care of them later.

I have my most morally permissive guards and spies take three of these collaborators into an unused part of the Veil. There, they will be interrogated so I can get information about my rivals. Once I got all the information I could get from them, they will be beaten up really hard (if they weren't already) and ordered to leave Holtburg. They are to never return to my city or we will find a more permanent solution next time. The rest of my employees are simply told that these people collaborated with the Exchange's rivals and were, under my direct orders, "permanently dealt with".

Once Sareth and Higaide arrive in the Veil, Zeiss will greet them personally. He will shake Higaide's hand and thank him for his help (this is one of these rare times where you can Zeiss as genuinely grateful) after which he will take Sareth to see a white mage (or healer) to have his wounds tended to. Zeiss will make sure Sareth takes the rest of the week off and visit him when he can. I will need to know if Sareth still wants to work with the Exchange (I can't really imagine him saying no; if nothing else, he would strive for revenge).

-Kolson's actions-

For the third week, Kolson will:

• Attempt to convince Fahran of Silentblade to support the Exchange's efforts. We also agree that the war is unsustainable, but Aluvia will still need to do something to preserve its existence, which means we have to reform the economy. Fortunately, reforming the Aluvian's economy is one of the Exchange's main goals, but we will need to take control of the Undermarket's remnants to make it happen. Fahran's help would be most welcome. In exchange, we would also support Fahran's own schemes on the political field.
  • Find support to name one of our own as Lord of Holtburg (probably going to look up the current Lords) and negotiates the terms to make it happen. I imagine Aayndia of Floralwind would like to gain information on the Tumeroks, namely detailed sketches of some of their units and the tactics they used when they attacked Aphus Lassel. We would most likely give her one sketch of one of the smaller units to convince her with the promise of military support. But no matter what, we won't trade passage through the Hub.
  • Kolson takes back his Exit materia from Higaide.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:47 pm

MM™'s guilty is determinated
MM™'s fate is as follows: As MM™ demonstrated having no qualms about his actions against the well-being of the town he was responsible for and the people living in it, he is to be placed under house arrest enforced by the White Scarves for the next twenty years, and all belongings that could be considered excess wealth are now Mallowmont's property, with a small part of it to be liquidated and the money given to the White Scarves to pay for the house arrest expenses.

OOC:

Potential recruit
Javan will inform the dwarf woman that because that's the nature of the changes he wishes to bring with the White Scarves', soon the dragoon won't have the luxury of avoiding open conflict as he has been doing until now, so she will have her wish by joining them.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:05 pm

Zeiss already did a good job posting my actions for me (Thanks man!). I'll just repost them here in case you didn't see them.

Zeiss wrote:-Kolson's actions-

Attempt to convince Fahran of Silentblade to support the Exchange's efforts. We also agree that the war is unsustainable, but Aluvia will still need to do something to preserve its existence, which means we have to reform the economy. Fortunately, reforming the Aluvian's economy is one of the Exchange's main goals, but we will need to take control of the Undermarket's remnants to make it happen. Fahran's help would be most welcome. In exchange, we would also support Fahran's own schemes on the political field.
Find support to name one of our own as Lord of Holtburg (probably going to look up the current Lords) and negotiates the terms to make it happen. I imagine Aayndia of Floralwind would like to gain information on the Tumeroks, namely detailed sketches of some of their units and the tactics they used when they attacked Aphus Lassel. We would most likely give her one sketch of one of the smaller units to convince her with the promise of military support. But no matter what, we won't trade passage through the Hub.
Kolson takes back his Exit materia from Higaide.

I'll also add, in response to his assertion that someone with military experience is needed, that Aluvia doesn't need more warriors right now. The Lords have been trying that and it hasn't solved anything. No, what they need right now is a diplomat willing to take chances for the greater good and I'm the guy for that.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:16 am

Archengeia wrote:
The style of writing by Vesayen hands is noticeably cruder than most of those in the rest of the continent, and therefore distinct.

Quick note; Kinz'Lizakh is a Burun of the Sho Empire, and not the Republic.  However if Rory is simply petitioning to him that he try to make the Empire take in the refugees, this applies.  Assuming this is true; Rory will receive a letter in return by the end of the week from Kinz'Lizakh stating that he finds a large, relatively cheap labor force to be a beneficial thing and assuming the Republic's doors are closed, he has no problem arranging for their positioning within the Hebian-To District.

I still need to know how much that deal with the Blackbrine will cost
About 150g all told.

Rory has zero success finding anyone versed in White Magery (since it's been nationalized recently) or Red Mages (ditto), but he does find several Black Mages who are passing through and willing to settle in and teach rather than sell their services.  They don't come cheap though, and agree to work for 40g a week each.

Interesting approach.  Some of the recruits will take towards this barbarian approach, mostly the Stoneholders.
Sure, influencing the Empire from the Republic side works.
Rory's reply to the food magnate is admittedly wary. He advises Kinz'Lizakh to take care not to assume humans will take what they can get and be satisfied with it for the rest of their lives. He's worked with sclavi before, and the niche most sclavi fill may work for them, but humans are a mixed basket of fruit.

Zeiss, we will have two black mage trainers aside from your personal magic bodyguard. We also now have an offensive Rage unit in our Exchange militia. How do you want to handle the equipment costs?

Just for fun I'd like Rory to try and describe, in or out of character, how he's going to convince the Mites that he is allowed to use the Hub given his violent disposition.
Sure, I'll give it a try. Alright, this was a lot more in-depth and roleplayed than I intended. I hope I did well.

Rory comes to the Mites to obtain his pass, dropping Zeiss' name and introducing himself. If the Mites remain wary, this irritates him, and further pestering of 'why' and 'how do we know' merits a return fire. "If you believe trusting Zeiss was a smart move, then that trust passes to me, because Zeiss trusts me, so I don't see the point of all this."
"You know what? Fine, I get it. You wanna know if I'm the bad guy."

Their insistance is what gets him fired up for an "about me" exposition, but a chance to rant to someone whom he hasn't before settles him down. It becomes more earnest explanation than frustration, but a ranting tone all the same.
"I'm from Vesayen Lassel, originally. You see humans come through here, looking for help or information? I used to be one of them. We were born with silver spoons in our mouths. We didn't know what the real world was like until our peace bubble was shattered and our homes were invaded by the Tumeroks. I washed up onshore near Hebian-To about a year ago, and I didn't have a clue. I didn't even know how to read. But I wised up and found a job doing what I do best for the Adventurer's Guild, fighting on the side of right before they were shut down. I still do my best, and recently a lot of fresh faces who aren't cut out for it were taken advantage of. Humans, my people, lured by money and thrown into a fight they aren't ready for, and the others left to fend for themselves or be thrown out of the city.
"They're gone, shepherded on boats far away by the only people who would care to help, and not for any reason better than the lords and ladies that snubbed them. They are what I care about, a people who once sheltered by that timeless peace the good people of this land strive in vain for. This chaos and war ill benefits them least of all, and that's why they needed me and why I came through for them.
"Me and my pals have been trying to work around it, but the chaos and war is your biggest concern, right? Well we don't like it either. I know how to fight the good fight and I can get things done. You stand to benefit from allowing me to go wherever I'm needed in the blink of an eye."
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:20 am

For now, Higaide will debrief Sareth on what he knows about the people who kidnapped him. It's the bare minimum we have to do, considering they know where we operate and how we just made fools out of them a week ago. He'll also advise him not to return to his home right away, and stay some place safer (like the HQ, for example).

He'll also make himself available for any Vasseyans in the exchange who are having trouble figuring how how Alluvian society works. Sort of counseling/guidance for settling down thing.

He's available for any task anyone wants to delegate to him otherwise, that doesn't involve kicking puppies.

Lastly, i don't suppose stables keep horses around until a week after they've been left there, do they? Because i left that fine steed of ours at the stable in Blackrust and, well... it's a nice horse.
K
K

Character sheet
Class: Monk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:01 pm

costs and contract:

Rory learns through hard example what he's asking for, and realizes early on in the week that he must adjust.

inquiry into material costs via mental price range forces him to start looking at materials of lower quality.

Let's see the figures for:
1)all bronze
or
2)iron for heavy and chittick for light.

And the payment agreed upon during negotiation for the Sho-Osteth migration charter will be higher than 150g. Rory was set on throwing money as an object out the window as far as the smugglers are concerned. Zeiss, however, was there to keep him from acting rashly, and was able to talk him down in front of the other party to 200g.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:09 pm

I need to know how much money we made this week.
732g.

I have my most morally permissive guards and spies take three of these collaborators into an unused part of the Veil. There, they will be interrogated so I can get information about my rivals. Once I got all the information I could get from them, they will be beaten up really hard (if they weren't already) and ordered to leave Holtburg. They are to never return to my city or we will find a more permanent solution next time. The rest of my employees are simply told that these people collaborated with the Exchange's rivals and were, under my direct orders, "permanently dealt with".
Ripples of uncertainty run through the Exchange, primarily through the Humans still remaining. Zeiss' brutal interrogation gives him a few tidbits of info on local bandits and, ultimately, nothing else.

Once Sareth and Higaide arrive in the Veil, Zeiss will greet them personally. He will shake Higaide's hand and thank him for his help (this is one of these rare times where you can Zeiss as genuinely grateful) after which he will take Sareth to see a white mage (or healer) to have his wounds tended to. Zeiss will make sure Sareth takes the rest of the week off and visit him when he can. I will need to know if Sareth still wants to work with the Exchange (I can't really imagine him saying no; if nothing else, he would strive for revenge).
Sareth does intend to continue working for the Exchange, though he is grateful for the time off, especially since White Mages aren't available at the moment.

-Kolson's actions-

• Attempt to convince Fahran of Silentblade to support the Exchange's efforts. We also agree that the war is unsustainable, but Aluvia will still need to do something to preserve its existence, which means we have to reform the economy. Fortunately, reforming the Aluvian's economy is one of the Exchange's main goals, but we will need to take control of the Undermarket's remnants to make it happen. Fahran's help would be most welcome. In exchange, we would also support Fahran's own schemes on the political field.
    The Lord Silentblade will consider the possibility of supporting the Exchange for reclaiming the Undermarket, but he makes it fundamentally clear that if he did so they'd be wholly subservient to him personally.
  • Find support to name one of our own as Lord of Holtburg (probably going to look up the current Lords) and negotiates the terms to make it happen. I imagine Aayndia of Floralwind would like to gain information on the Tumeroks, namely detailed sketches of some of their units and the tactics they used when they attacked Aphus Lassel. We would most likely give her one sketch of one of the smaller units to convince her with the promise of military support. But no matter what, we won't trade passage through the Hub.
    As an aside, there is no Hub in Lytlethorpe, so transit down there will take some time. Regardless, this will take considerable time so more info to come.
  • Kolson takes back his Exit materia from Higaide.

Essoje wrote:MM™'s guilty is determinated
MM™'s fate is as follows: As MM™ demonstrated having no qualms about his actions against the well-being of the town he was responsible for and the people living in it, he is to be placed under house arrest enforced by the White Scarves for the next twenty years, and all belongings that could be considered excess wealth are now Mallowmont's property, with a small part of it to be liquidated and the money given to the White Scarves to pay for the house arrest expenses.

OOC:

Potential recruit
Javan will inform the dwarf woman that because that's the nature of the changes he wishes to bring with the White Scarves', soon the dragoon won't have the luxury of avoiding open conflict as he has been doing until now, so she will have her wish by joining them.
The White Scarves quickly confiscate the goods and effectively declare martial law of a sorts to distribute them and, naturally, take their 'rightful share'. The consequences of this will arrive by next week.

Rory comes to the Mites to obtain his pass, dropping Zeiss' name and introducing himself. If the Mites remain wary, this irritates him, and further pestering of 'why' and 'how do we know' merits a return fire. "If you believe trusting Zeiss was a smart move, then that trust passes to me, because Zeiss trusts me, so I don't see the point of all this."
"You know what? Fine, I get it. You wanna know if I'm the bad guy."

Their insistance is what gets him fired up for an "about me" exposition, but a chance to rant to someone whom he hasn't before settles him down. It becomes more earnest explanation than frustration, but a ranting tone all the same.
"I'm from Vesayen Lassel, originally. You see humans come through here, looking for help or information? I used to be one of them. We were born with silver spoons in our mouths. We didn't know what the real world was like until our peace bubble was shattered and our homes were invaded by the Tumeroks. I washed up onshore near Hebian-To about a year ago, and I didn't have a clue. I didn't even know how to read. But I wised up and found a job doing what I do best for the Adventurer's Guild, fighting on the side of right before they were shut down. I still do my best, and recently a lot of fresh faces who aren't cut out for it were taken advantage of. Humans, my people, lured by money and thrown into a fight they aren't ready for, and the others left to fend for themselves or be thrown out of the city.
"They're gone, shepherded on boats far away by the only people who would care to help, and not for any reason better than the lords and ladies that snubbed them. They are what I care about, a people who once sheltered by that timeless peace the good people of this land strive in vain for. This chaos and war ill benefits them least of all, and that's why they needed me and why I came through for them.
"Me and my pals have been trying to work around it, but the chaos and war is your biggest concern, right? Well we don't like it either. I know how to fight the good fight and I can get things done. You stand to benefit from allowing me to go wherever I'm needed in the blink of an eye."
[/quote]
After considerable thought, the Mites agree to allow Rory access to the Hub based on his ability and willingness to try and improve himself despite his demeanor and violent nature.

For now, Higaide will debrief Sareth on what he knows about the people who kidnapped him. It's the bare minimum we have to do, considering they know where we operate and how we just made fools out of them a week ago. He'll also advise him not to return to his home right away, and stay some place safer (like the HQ, for example).
Higaide learns a fair amount from Sareth, as the Lord Elf has been pretty observant while kidnapped. He learned that the two groups who kidnapped him weren't really in coordination. The first group had clearly been Aluvian military, and in their care he'd been decently kept and cared for. He never overheard anything significant as to why the military would be after him, but some days later the thugs had arrived and, from what Sareth was able to deduce, had struck a bargain with the military so that they would take Sareth instead. The thugs, in contrast to the military, treated him horribly, and he went without food for days and was beaten regularly, though he admits some of that was his own fault as he never stopped provoking them. Sareth has no proof of this, but believes the thugs were prompted to take him, the 'Warlord of the Exchange', on behalf of someone else to remove the Exchange from the equation.

costs and contract:

Rory learns through hard example what he's asking for, and realizes early on in the week that he must adjust.

inquiry into material costs via mental price range forces him to start looking at materials of lower quality.

Let's see the figures for:
1)all bronze
7776g.
or
2)iron for heavy and chittick for light.
4320g and 864g respectively.

And the payment agreed upon during negotiation for the Sho-Osteth migration charter will be higher than 150g. Rory was set on throwing money as an object out the window as far as the smugglers are concerned. Zeiss, however, was there to keep him from acting rashly, and was able to talk him down in front of the other party to 200g.
So noted and agreed upon.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:38 pm

732gp of profits made this week. Noted. Thank you.

Rory, I think we'll have to fully equip only a fraction of our guards. We can always do the rest later.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:19 pm

I think I see what's going on. First, we will confirm and commit the chittick hide/leather armor. Let's see the iron cost as divvied between iron weapons and iron armor.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:23 pm

In case anyone has forgotten, weapons and armor are in ridiculously high demand right now so prices are skyrocketing. Also, anything above a certain grade is illegal, adding to the cost.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:30 pm

Meaning selling weapons, illegal weapons, made by our blacksmiths would be highly profitable?
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:37 pm

Meaning arming your forces is going to cost you.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:41 pm

Week 3: April 4th - 11th April 52825966
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:52 pm

You did mention it before.  I am aware of this. Here's the thing, Zeiss: the spike in demand is coming from parties currently engaged in conflict. The markup for anyone who isn't in the military is probably enforced by the military, and selling price for private merchants is greatly depreciated and also enforced. I'm not sure how that would work, but suffice to say we are somehow getting the shaft as decreed by the law in attempt to nationalize weapons and armor in a legal way that doesn't spark outcry, as would straight-up, full-definition and full-force nationalization along the lines of "the good stuff, no matter how private, is ours now".
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:24 pm

Archengeia wrote:The Lord Silentblade will consider the possibility of supporting the Exchange for reclaiming the Undermarket, but he makes it fundamentally clear that if he did so they'd be wholly subservient to him personally.

We aren't against taking on a subservient role but we'll need to know what that specifically entails so we can ensure this agreement is mutually beneficial.

(I'm negotiating here to make sure he knows we aren't pushovers. If we ever lose his respect we are done and rolling over with no pressure is a sure way to do that.)
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:47 pm

Kolson is correct to negotiate from strength, which the Lord Silentblade will respect. He will return with a less harsh stance, stating that the Exchange as an overall organization would ultimately be independent to run its own ends as long as it followed two directives. 1: Any commands that come down from Fahran, and only him, would be followed... he quickly adds that he would not need to exercise such a thing often, merely in part of long term strategies and, of course, that ties in to point 2: That the Exchange does not run counter to his own interests.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:21 pm

Kolson knows that Zeiss would find these terms more than agreeable. However, there's one thing that should be made clear: the Hub right cannot be granted to the Lord of Glenden Wood or any other government representatives, even unofficial ones. Its usage is also left to our discretion. Lord Fahran has surely already deduced that would be the case, but for the sake of clarity, it must be mentioned.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:43 pm

I agree with Zeiss. That's an agreement that was made prior to this one and any alteration to it would needlessly jeopardize this advantage. I'm sure Fahran can see the wisdom of that.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next