Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's your theme song?

+7
K
Permeus (tabran)
Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin)
Archengeia
Kolson
Zeiss
Snarg of Wildpaw
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What's your theme song? Empty What's your theme song?

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:00 am

Sooooo, everyone was posting theme songs in chat for their characters. What music do you think best personifies your character? I'll post mine when I get a chance.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Fire
Class: Barbarian / Ranger / Bloodhound / Geomancer
Race: Gnoll

http://thethirdgames.com

Back to top Go down

What's your theme song? Empty Re: What's your theme song?

Post by Zeiss Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:08 am

Sooooo, I think I found Zeiss's theme. Here it is
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:45 am

Arch says this one fits Kolson. I'm not too sure though. It sounds kind of creepy to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVn3SMqMRUM
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:29 am

For anyone who hasn't played FFVI that is the theme song for the art house of Owzer in Jidoor. It's very aristocratic and it struck me as very Kolson. Shrug?

I decided to challenge myself to come up with themes for everyone from single soundtracks. So far I'm picking FFIV, CT, and FFVI. If anyone has other games with significant soundtracks you want me to draw from go for it. The idea is highly amusing to me. Results pending.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin) Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:42 am

Wild Arms has some pretty good tracks to pick from Razz Why yes, I am in a wild arms mood recently, how could you tell?

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Spacial
Class: Green Mage
Race: Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Permeus (tabran) Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:09 am

ok he's what i see as been Tab's

japanse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH8iZzDcphI

English Fandub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqrJ9yjWdAs

English Fandub (short)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jy7ip-NWMI

i think the Short one is to most fitting of the bunch
Permeus (tabran)
Permeus (tabran)

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Water
Class: Yellow Mage / Rogue
Race: Lycanthrope

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin) Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:12 am

adrisaurus is -amazing-. Her songs and covers are gorgeous.

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:14 am

Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin) Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:17 am

Now I have a good few hours of music to listen to it seems Razz

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:27 am

So i'm Lock, huh? Thank you kindly.

This is Higaide on a normal day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMxUwTyz0hM

On a hectic day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiikD9pRCMI

Bonus track, this is Anji's (his master) theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewrEQYTyhi8
K
K

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Monk
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:11 pm

Geezsh, that's quite an extensive list. I find it funny that you picked that particular music from Chrono Trigger since I was thinking about that one as a choice as well. It was hard to come up with a perfect match, and I don't think I did. I was going for slightly goofy, energetic, drum heavy pieces at first, although that just never seemed to click. I really never could exactly the right combination I wanted. I actually decided going with something a bit more "serious":

First choice
Runner up

By the way, Jeremy Soule receives ALL the hearts no matter what.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:01 pm

Damn Arch, the themes you choose for Zeiss are DARK! Razz

I really like the FF4 one.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by K Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:56 pm

K
K

Character sheet
Class: Monk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:32 pm

Here's what I think of the tracks in regard to how they relate to my character, with no offense or criticism towards the tracks themselves as musical numbers, nor to the person who picked them out.

Tyran's Castle is valid, if a bit dark during the intro phase, but I feel as though it leaves something to be desired in the way of first impressions of the character.

I'm hesitant to pick the boss battle theme from FFIV, because a character's theme should shy away from extremities and capture the personality of a person at their calm constant, how they tend to feel or act when unaffected by external stimuli(specifically external stimuli which provoke actions not directly tied to what the character values, such as imminent unconditional threat to personal safety or an obstacle in their way).

I don't find that "Another World of Beasts" suits my character either. He's a broody guy, sure, but the track has foreboding and mysterious mood which is unalienable, and a far cry from broody and depressed/troubled.

At this point onward, things in relation to my character get a little spoilery. This is all supposed to be internal, so I'm going to PM Archengeia with some things to take into consideration if he wants continue searching for a theme. I've had less luck thus far, so I'm sticking with "Fenris' Theme" from Dragon Age 2.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:11 pm

Hey Arch, we should have a theme for Z too. Cool
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:02 pm

I should check OOC more often because there is a butt tonne of gold in here XD

This may be irrelevant but I can't help but imagine this song when I think of us trekking through the desert

Demon Days - Gorillaz

Not a game soundtrack song unfortunately, but I like it.
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Water
Class: White Mage
Race: Burun

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:26 pm

I really like that song Sethos. Thanks.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:51 am

I've done it.

I dug through music from *some* video games I recognize off of a gamespot list. I listened to every track of said games, mostly skipping bold or edgy themes as well as music I've heard before and know doesn't fit. I spent hours of going back and forth between listening to music and getting sidetracked by the Cyberspace Continuum(more often sidetracked--shutup). I have two tracks I want you guys to look at in relation to my character's theme:

Ruined Celes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I4OvNWFAfM
This track right from the get go is grim. I loved the bass and low pitch in it, which compliments the Human barbarian very well. Then there's the high piano melody that soon follows. The melody itself seems to go back and forth between grim and..."mystic"--that part where the notes start going all over the place. It fit pretty well up till a certain point where where I thought I heard a mild "Samurai honor" vibe. Everything except that particular striking, the way it struck me anyway, was near perfect. Then near the end it starts some weird "groove" in rhythm and melody. You can ignore that part. The reason I thought right away that this could work is because Celes is someone's hometown in the game. This isn't a spoiler, it's already destroyed when the game begins, and the character from the town learns about it 10 minutes into the game(the following day). Suffice to say he wasn't there when it happened.

Now obviously Rory's hometown doesn't get destroyed, but before he met his family, up to that point his village may as well have been burned to the ground and his family dead at the bottom of the ocean(sea monster, and he thought they, or at least several villagers, were on the ship too). It's what he thought happened, or some form of devastation, that makes this appropriate, especially now, after he learned that his homeland had been invaded by the nation of Doom. He's also not powerful enough to fight the people there, and he can't cross the ocean to begin with for fear of a sea monster attack(paling in comparison to the latter) and because he doesn't have a ship and he can't sail. So for quite a while he's been mat at his gods and antisocial toward the native people of Dereth(that changed radically after the third or fourth quest), but in spite of that, it doesn't infect him with an elitist complex and general disdain for the well-being of others. And now I'm rambling about how good my character is and how you guys should think he's such a swell guy, BACK TO THE THEMES.

Dak'kon's Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH7jwPjYl9k
This one nearly hit it on the head too. Nearly. I've got just one little nitpick about it, but that's less picky than I got with Ruined Celes, and that's the one I wish I could say was perfect and call it the theme--end-of-story. Dak'kon's theme gets across this "tribal" feel, it's also grim, even more so, but there's no "fluffy" part to counterbalance it--the light and the dark of the character I'm trying to place a theme on, to be frank. It still fits well, cuz Rory is "tribal", that not being the same as "primitive" in the use of that word here, but "savage", in the physical manner, behavior, and style he confronts opposition. The instruments communicate a sense of aggression as opposed to pluckiness, that is Rory's style, his mannerisms even, but the halting, the starting and stopping that also communicates a sense of restraint, as opposed to poise. There's that slow rapid-fire "echo" instrument, and the short-burst droning "whine" of the wind and brass...I'm hesitant, but I'll go with the clarinet and the french horn. Then, a little later, the instruments, particularly the french horn, start to get bold and a bit loud, the french horn being the last to die out as it cuts off at a particularly blaring note, yet still modest. I want to point out for this, and just in case nobody's been in on this, Rory doesn't yell often. In the situation where he's trying to get someone's attention over a significant distance, he'll cross the shouting distance if he can and doing so seems comparatively prudent, before he says the meat of what he wants to say.

The quote from Dak'kon as he introduces himself to the Nameless One sums him up pretty well too, all things considered:

"My past is not known to you. It is not my will that you should know it. Know that I bear the scars of one who has travelled the Planes. Know that I have never rested long in any one place. Know that I bear the weight of one who has travelled far to be in this place. Know that I am a Githzerai. Know that I am of the..."

I haven't played Planescape Torment, but I am starting to consider it, especially from what I've read about the dialogue system.
EDIT LINE_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Archengeia wrote:Color me impressed by the amount of thought and effort Rory put into his themes.  And two songs I recognize of course, and after some thought of my own I could see it for the character as presented thusfar.  As for the future... *eyes the refugee theme who's name escapes him from FFT*
You mean Remnants? Goddammit no. Anyway, if it looks like I put a LOT of thought into this, that's just because I super-analyzed them in this post just for you guys after I found what I wanted.

Also, I forgot to add this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG9C5TyvTSo
Because it's just cool. You have to. You want to.

Last edited by Rory on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:12 pm

Color me impressed by the amount of thought and effort Rory put into his themes. And two songs I recognize of course, and after some thought of my own I could see it for the character as presented thusfar. As for the future... *eyes the refugee theme who's name escapes him from FFT*
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:40 am

That certainly is a bit of analytics. I suppose now that there has been a bit of time since the original posts in this thread, let's pose a new question: if you had to pick a theme now would it be the same? Has your character changed in such a way that the original theme would no longer suit him at this point in time or would it still apply at this stage in his/her life? For me the answer is definitely "no". When I get back from work today I'll have to see if there's something a bit more fitting for now.

Edit: nope, nothing yet.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:56 pm

On a more hilarious note, here's the Burun's theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX-h8CrIyyY
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:42 am

I clicked the link. Then remembered it was a Rory Link, but it was too late.

I can only blame this fate on myself.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:40 am

Essoje wrote:I clicked the link. Then remembered it was a Rory Link, but it was too late.

I can only blame this fate on myself.
GRRROOOOOOAAAAAAANNN!!
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:56 am

To answer Snarg's question, here is a song that would describe Zeiss's mental state :

If you didn't notice it, Zeiss is "kinder" than before. Travelling with the rest of the group made him learn that there are other ways to resolve a problem than just killing the person responsible for it. Still, even if he starts to care about the rest of the party, it doesn't mean he is an happy man. He is determined, but feels quite alone.

Hence why I chose this song.

*Goes back to playing with butterflies.*
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:35 am

Thanks for the input so far, everyone; I like the theme choices. Let's do an addendum to the previous question: if you had to pick a theme that you would choose to represent your character's future or what they could become (or what you want them to become) what would it be?

I've had such trouble finding one that I've just decide I'll make my own. I'm personally hoping to get both past, present, and future in mine, but I have been having such a hard time finding something that exactly matches. I'll check back when it's complete.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum