Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feats Thread

+9
Caladrius
Zeiss
Archengeia
Snarg of Wildpaw
Sethos
Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin)
Kolson
Essoje
Admin
13 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Feats Thread Empty Feats Thread

Post by Admin Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:45 pm

When either asking one another or asking for me about changes or approval, this is the thread for all feats discussions. And to start it off I offer you this:

http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featsform.pl

This is virtually every feat that exists in 3.5. Now, the general rule is; if it's on there, it's allowed. But I have to approve all feats for lore and rules reasons.... BUT do not be dissuaded, 9 times out of 10 I will approve it.

Edit: I'm going to maintain this as what I imagine will become a megathread, and move it over to the General category. As has already been true, any Feat questions go there, and please run all Feats you wish to pick up by me in this thread.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://archengeiadnd.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Feats Thread Empty Re: Feats Thread

Post by Essoje Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:46 pm

Alright, so I'd like to ask if the Daunting Presence feat is allowed. I can imagine Javan striking a pose taken from one of his dragoon posters, complete with his scarf floating to the (sometimes non-existent) wind, and then having his opponent be unsure of what to do.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:51 pm

Essoje wrote:Alright, so I'd like to ask if the Daunting Presence feat is allowed. I can imagine Javan striking a pose taken from one of his dragoon posters, complete with his scarf floating to the (sometimes non-existent) wind, and then having his opponent be unsure of what to do.
*stamp of approval* Done. Assuming you have the required CHA of 13 which I am assuming.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:23 am

I'm thinking Block Arrow and Combat Reflexes. Is that alright?
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:38 am

Calamity916 wrote:I'm thinking Block Arrow and Combat Reflexes. Is that alright?
Done and done. By the way a note for everyone, please keep track and knowledge of your feats, I... honestly am not going to memorize everyone's feats so if one guy can block arrows and the other can do something else I don't know to prompt you each time it's relevant. By the same token feel free to bring up such things to ME if I say something and it is relevant.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:04 am

No prob, I'll be sure to do so.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin) Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:53 am

Is Dodge cool for my second feat?

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Spacial
Class: Green Mage
Race: Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:59 am

Shikua wrote:Is Dodge cool for my second feat?
*stamp of approval* Done.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:53 pm

Right, I told you guys it was coming, I am now filling out the character sheet, I expect all these questions will be dumb to all of you but here they are.
1) What do I need to roll dice for on the character sheet?
2) Is there some sort of paradigm for my character's levels in everything I have to fill out?
3) In the mana progression chart thing, do white mages come under pure mages? Or am I missing something?
4) What do I put in the living weapons section?
5) What in the world does DR stand for?
EDIT: 6) Is White Mage my class?
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Water
Class: White Mage
Race: Burun

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:02 pm

Sethos wrote:Right, I told you guys it was coming, I am now filling out the character sheet, I expect all these questions will be dumb to all of you but here they are.
2) Is there some sort of paradigm for my character's levels in everything I have to fill out?
3) In the mana progression chart thing, do white mages come under pure mages? Or am I missing something?

1) Only your attributes.
2) Not really, although I'd keep track of any special abilities that your character has on a separate sheet. For example, if you have a rogue, make sure you mark down somewhere that he has a bonus against traps. Stuff like that. Your class description will tell you if you have anything like that. If you are playing a caster, you need to keep track of your mana usage. Just find your class, put in the appropriate modifiers in the matching areas on your sheet, pick a starting feat (+1 if you have race that does that or you have bonus feats from your class) and you're basically good to go.
3) Yes. Your mana gain is (Level -1) + (INT Modifier / 2). Keep in mind that the chart is assuming based on the INT column. You will need to use the formula if your INT is not exactly what is listed in that column.
4) Nothing for right now. If you get a living weapon I'm sure you'll know it.
5) Damage Reduction. Some creatures and objects will have a specific type of DR, commonly written like this: 5/magic or 10/slashing. What this means is that unless you have a weapon that deals that type of damage, any other damage you do against it will be reduced by that amount. For example, if I am fighting a creature that has 5/bludgeoning and I hit it with my sword for 7 damage, I will only do 2 damage (7 - 5) because my sword does slashing damage. Now, if I bring out a mace and hit it with that for 5 damage, I will do the entire 5 damage because my mace does bludgeoning, which bypasses the DR.

Archengeia has an exceptional damage type in his rules, which I will quote:
There is one damage type that needs special recognition, and that is Typeless damage. Very, very few abilities or spells do Typeless damage, and with extremely few exceptions Typeless pierces all DR and can do increased damage to most things. Thus, contrarily, the best form of DR in the game would be Typeless DR, such that only Typeless damage would be capable of piercing your DR.

6) Yes.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Fire
Class: Barbarian / Ranger / Bloodhound / Geomancer
Race: Gnoll

http://thethirdgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:22 pm

Whis Kor wrote:
Sethos wrote:Right, I told you guys it was coming, I am now filling out the character sheet, I expect all these questions will be dumb to all of you but here they are.

1) Only your attributes.
2) Not really, although I'd keep track of any special abilities that your character has on a separate sheet. For example, if you have a rogue, make sure you mark down somewhere that he has a bonus against traps. Stuff like that. Your class description will tell you if you have anything like that. If you are playing a caster, you need to keep track of your mana usage. Just find your class, put in the appropriate modifiers in the matching areas on your sheet, pick a starting feat (+1 if you have race that does that or you have bonus feats from your class) and you're basically good to go.
3) Yes. Your mana gain is (Level -1) + (INT Modifier / 2). Keep in mind that the chart is assuming based on the INT column. You will need to use the formula if your INT is not exactly what is listed in that column.
4) Nothing for right now. If you get a living weapon I'm sure you'll know it.
5) Damage Reduction. Some creatures and objects will have a specific type of DR, commonly written like this: 5/magic or 10/slashing. What this means is that unless you have a weapon that deals that type of damage, any other damage you do against it will be reduced by that amount. For example, if I am fighting a creature that has 5/bludgeoning and I hit it with my sword for 7 damage, I will only do 2 damage (7 - 5) because my sword does slashing damage. Now, if I bring out a mace and hit it with that for 5 damage, I will do the entire 5 damage because my mace does bludgeoning, which bypasses the DR.

Archengeia has an exceptional damage type in his rules, which I will quote:
There is one damage type that needs special recognition, and that is Typeless damage. Very, very few abilities or spells do Typeless damage, and with extremely few exceptions Typeless pierces all DR and can do increased damage to most things. Thus, contrarily, the best form of DR in the game would be Typeless DR, such that only Typeless damage would be capable of piercing your DR.

6) Yes.

Thank you, but what does INT stand for?
Also, how do I know what to put in any of these skill columns?
How do I know what my fortitude, reflex and willpower are?
Why does everything have to have an acronym?
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:40 pm

STR = Strength.
DEX = Dexterity.
CON = Constitution.
WIS = Wisdom.
INT = Intelligence.
CHA - Charisma.

Your skill points will go in to the Ranks column. You can't have more than 3 + your level in that (so essentially start at 4 and increase the max by 1 every level). The misc are for any weird modifiers you have, such as from race, class, or another odd stuff.

Your fortitude is equal to your CON modifier + your class bonus (this will be listed in your class description). Your reflex is equal to your DEX modifier + your class bonus. Your willpower is equal to your WIS modifier + your class bonus.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Whis Kor wrote:
STR = Strength.
DEX = Dexterity.
CON = Constitution.
WIS = Wisdom.
INT = Intelligence.
CHA - Charisma.

Your skill points will go in to the Ranks column. You can't have more than 3 + your level in that (so essentially start at 4 and increase the max by 1 every level). The misc are for any weird modifiers you have, such as from race, class, or another odd stuff.

Your fortitude is equal to your CON modifier + your class bonus (this will be listed in your class description). Your reflex is equal to your DEX modifier + your class bonus. Your willpower is equal to your WIS modifier + your class bonus.

I am eternally grateful, now do you know where I can find my class description? Because I have looked through all the documents I have from Archengeia on here and I cannot for the life of me find the white mage description.
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:45 pm

Also only just realised I'm posting this on the feats thread, am I in the wrong place?

Regardless of that I do have some questions on feats;

1) What the hell are feats?
2) Where do I put my feats?
3) How many feats can I have?
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:10 pm

Also only just realised I'm posting this on the feats thread, am I in the wrong place?

Yeah, it's probably the wrong place.

1) Feats are special abilities and bonuses you can choose for your character. You get one at the start and then an additional one every level evenly divisible by 3. Certain races and classes can give you bonus feats. Their description will say if this is the case. Some feats have a prerequisite that you have to meet unless otherwise noted. Think of them like talents if you've played World of Warcraft.
2) You just put them on your sheet somewhere and then remember to use them when the time is appropriate. It could be something simple like a +1 to attack using a certain weapon or it could modify how rule interacts with your character. You need to keep track of what they do.
3) There's no hard cap on feats, but you only get one every so often. See #1 for more detail.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:14 pm

Whis Kor wrote:

Yeah, it's probably the wrong place.

1) Feats are special abilities and bonuses you can choose for your character. You get one at the start and then an additional one every level evenly divisible by 3. Certain races and classes can give you bonus feats. Their description will say if this is the case. Some feats have a prerequisite that you have to meet unless otherwise noted. Think of them like talents if you've played World of Warcraft.
2) You just put them on your sheet somewhere and then remember to use them when the time is appropriate. It could be something simple like a +1 to attack using a certain weapon or it could modify how rule interacts with your character. You need to keep track of what they do.
3) There's no hard cap on feats, but you only get one every so often. See #1 for more detail.

Thank you very much, you have been most helpful. I finally found the illusive bastard that is the white mage description in a fairly obvious place so now I feel like a gargantuan dick brain, if you'll pardon my french. Thanks again, I'll probably be asking more questions soon but in a more appropriate thread.
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:00 pm

Oh, I looked back at my previous response and there is technically one more thing you'll need to roll for: your starting gold. However, that's up to Archengeia and what he gives based on your backstory.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:58 pm

Just wanted to say thank you to Th3Third for his help when I'm asleep in getting people on the right track. Props.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:00 pm

Yeah, Whis Kor is awesome. Very Happy

Ok, got to finalize my sheet.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caladrius Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:00 am

You know after looking at all the feats I can decide what to get for a white mage. Any suggestions? Also am I to assume that a Metamagic feat is different from a normal feat? So I should be looking at one Metamagic feat and onc normal feat for a starting mage. Other then this, I think I am done.
Caladrius
Caladrius

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Life
Race: Lord Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:04 am

Caladrius wrote:You know after looking at all the feats I can decide what to get for a white mage. Any suggestions? Also am I to assume that a Metamagic feat is different from a normal feat? So I should be looking at one Metamagic feat and onc normal feat for a starting mage. Other then this, I think I am done.

The main reason to differentiate regular feats from metamagic feats is: Those bonus feats I list under the White Mage chart? Those can only be selected from the Metamagic Feat list (just after spells, just prior to the classes... Page 14 on my copy). However all classes and races gain feats totally regardless of other concerns at a static rate (one at 1st level, then one at 3, 6, 9, 12, etc.). THOSE feats can be just about anything except feats that are specifically designed to be a bonus feat of some kind (Fighter and Metamagics come to mind). However if you really can't think of anything I'm willing to be flexible.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:58 pm

Question

I'm reading up (mostly d20) on available feats, and those exclusive to the Monk. If i read it correctly, Monk gets Improved Unarmed strike automatically, and can choose between Improved Grapple and Stunning Fist at 1st level. I'd like to go with Stunning Fist.

So, it's Improved Unarmed Strike and Stunning Fist for me. Is that alright?
K
K

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Monk
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:07 pm

K_ wrote:Question

I'm reading up (mostly d20) on available feats, and those exclusive to the Monk. If i read it correctly, Monk gets Improved Unarmed strike automatically, and can choose between Improved Grapple and Stunning Fist at 1st level. I'd like to go with Stunning Fist.

So, it's Improved Unarmed Strike and Stunning Fist for me. Is that alright?

Correct, and works for me. *stamp*
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:41 pm

Oh I need to pick my feats, expect questions from me tomorrow.
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Caladrius Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:53 pm

Ok a few quick Questions:
Can I, and if I choose the Fey Bloodline Do I get to use those spells identified even though I am a White Mage?
I am also looking at Collegiate Wizard But again this says choose six spell, and the white mage only has 3 level one spell.
I guess I am a bit hazy on the spell part, Am I limited to the spell of my class?
Caladrius
Caladrius

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Life
Race: Lord Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next