Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions For The GM

+12
Permeus (tabran)
Sethos
K
Rory
Zeiss
Essoje
Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin)
Gwydo
Snarg of Wildpaw
Kolson
Araiguna
Admin
16 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Questions For The GM - Page 3 Empty Re: Questions For The GM

Post by Sethos Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:59 pm

Admin wrote:
Sethos Oornigal wrote:Well, presumably my character needs to have gotten training in magic to be white mage right? Or does being a starting character mean that I'm without training?

Of course you've been trained. Being trained at the single best academy in the entire world is a bit different then being trained. BUT like I said if you can come up with a good reason for it I'm willing to listen.

Forgive me, but I'm having trouble finding another place for mage training, so I assumed that was the only one. Does each nation have it's own or?
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Water
Class: White Mage
Race: Burun

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:06 am

Sethos Oornigal wrote:Forgive me, but I'm having trouble finding another place for mage training, so I assumed that was the only one. Does each nation have it's own or?

There are training facilities scattered here and there in various towns and cities across all four nations. While I encourage the roleplaying and flavor aspect, the point is that there are so many other academies and schools and colleges that listing them all seemed superfluous (like listing every village in the continent). My point is if you want to have trained at a specific school in a specific nation, just come up with one and some basic facts about it and it's good (provided I approve it, which I probably will). A quick example literally off the top of my head: You grew up in the township of Telador, at the base of the Katskill mountain range dividing the Naverre and Osteth lands. Well positioned for travelers and trade, much of the money brought into Telador has been routed towards the local mage college, Elainis Centre, which affords it better-than-average personnel and supplies. As such it is not uncommon for individuals aspiring to become some of the more complicated professions, such as Red or White Mages, to flock from the nearby region and attend Elainis.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://archengeiadnd.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin) Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:09 am

Business Shark demands hir starting gold! XD

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Spacial
Class: Green Mage
Race: Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:14 am

Admin wrote:
Sethos Oornigal wrote:Forgive me, but I'm having trouble finding another place for mage training, so I assumed that was the only one. Does each nation have it's own or?

There are training facilities scattered here and there in various towns and cities across all four nations. While I encourage the roleplaying and flavor aspect, the point is that there are so many other academies and schools and colleges that listing them all seemed superfluous (like listing every village in the continent). My point is if you want to have trained at a specific school in a specific nation, just come up with one and some basic facts about it and it's good (provided I approve it, which I probably will). A quick example literally off the top of my head: You grew up in the township of Telador, at the base of the Katskill mountain range dividing the Naverre and Osteth lands. Well positioned for travelers and trade, much of the money brought into Telador has been routed towards the local mage college, Elainis Centre, which affords it better-than-average personnel and supplies. As such it is not uncommon for individuals aspiring to become some of the more complicated professions, such as Red or White Mages, to flock from the nearby region and attend Elainis.

Ah, that's really helpful, I was kind of worried about taking artistic liberties like that so thanks for putting my mind at ease. I tend to want things to be overcomplicated and with that in mind I have some more questions, this may seem odd, but what is the burun lifespan like? When is the typical coming of age point? Are there any coming of age rituals that are particularly ingrained in burun and / or Sho culture? Also all of those questions for moarsmen.
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:51 am

Shikua wrote:Business Shark demands hir starting gold! XD
Sorry I have no idea how I missed that question. 5d6 x 10 gold to start.

Sethos Oornigal wrote:I tend to want things to be overcomplicated and with that in mind I have some more questions, this may seem odd, but what is the burun lifespan like? When is the typical coming of age point? Are there any coming of age rituals that are particularly ingrained in burun and / or Sho culture? Also all of those questions for moarsmen.
Burun average lifespan is roughly 200 years. Upon coming of age as a burun, any given one is given their second name (Burun names are of the style name'name), they must do something or contribute something to the Sho or their family or their Count or whatever, and their second name is indicative usually. This is usually the point at which they begin their long-term career, usually something they've been trained to since childhood and often related to politics or economics (running a business, local constabulary, etc.) and often don't change from that career point... uh, ever. As for Moarsmen...
Moarsmen aren't mistreated but do exist as a lesser caste and as such are limited by a very defined glass ceiling in any aspect of their life. They tend to be very personable with other Moarsmen, and family and friendship are both a big deal to them. There is no 'coming of age' per say, more like 'getting old enough to work' at which point they... usually join their parents and friends in working whatever job or duty is defined to them.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin) Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:55 am

Baby needs a new pair of gold-plated sneakers!

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:55 am

The member 'Shikua' has done the following action : Forum Dice Roller

'D6' : 1, 6, 1, 5, 5
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:02 am

Admin wrote:
Shikua wrote:Business Shark demands hir starting gold! XD
Sorry I have no idea how I missed that question. 5d6 x 10 gold to start.

Sethos Oornigal wrote:I tend to want things to be overcomplicated and with that in mind I have some more questions, this may seem odd, but what is the burun lifespan like? When is the typical coming of age point? Are there any coming of age rituals that are particularly ingrained in burun and / or Sho culture? Also all of those questions for moarsmen.
Burun average lifespan is roughly 200 years. Upon coming of age as a burun, any given one is given their second name (Burun names are of the style name'name), they must do something or contribute something to the Sho or their family or their Count or whatever, and their second name is indicative usually. This is usually the point at which they begin their long-term career, usually something they've been trained to since childhood and often related to politics or economics (running a business, local constabulary, etc.) and often don't change from that career point... uh, ever. As for Moarsmen...
Moarsmen aren't mistreated but do exist as a lesser caste and as such are limited by a very defined glass ceiling in any aspect of their life. They tend to be very personable with other Moarsmen, and family and friendship are both a big deal to them. There is no 'coming of age' per say, more like 'getting old enough to work' at which point they... usually join their parents and friends in working whatever job or duty is defined to them.

Right, well now my username's wrong XD probably should of asked about that before I gave my character two names, from now on you'll have to pretend that my second name isn't there, sorry about that. Anyway with that my character's back story is complete, I'll write it up and post it either on here or in the google group (Your choice, I don't mind) for your consideration and if there's anything you disagree with (Which I fear may be everything XD) then don't hesitate to let me know. Now I need to sleep because it's 5:00 AM here and I have to be up in six hours.
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:04 am

On the Google FAQ thread, you answered a question about your preferred method of stat rolling is 5 D6, remove two lowest, 1's count as 6's. Are the two lowest numbers, even if they are 1's, dropped despite the fact that 1's count as 6's?
Example, I roll, say: 1, 1, 5, 6, 1
Do I drop the 5 and 6 and count the 1's as 6's, netting me a higher score than dropping two ones and counting the third 1 as a 6?
Note: I deferred to the latter method when I rolled each of my stats.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:06 am

HaBeHa28 wrote:On the Google FAQ thread, you answered a question about your preferred method of stat rolling is 5 D6, remove two lowest, 1's count as 6's. Are the two lowest numbers, even if they are 1's, dropped despite the fact that 1's count as 6's?
Example, I roll, say: 1, 1, 5, 6, 1
Do I drop the 5 and 6 and count the 1's as 6's, netting me a higher score than dropping two ones and counting the third 1 as a 6?
Note: I deferred to the latter method when I rolled each of my stats.

Uh, the moment you count a 1 as a 6, they become the highest numbers in the set, so you'd keep them.

Edit: 1 = 6, so your roll of 1,1,5,6,1 is actually counted as 6,6,5,6,6.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin) Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:24 am

Character sheet updated with gear and remaining gold.

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:26 am

Sethos Oornigal wrote:I'll write it up and post it either on here or in the google group (Your choice, I don't mind) for your consideration and if there's anything you disagree with (Which I fear may be everything XD)
All D&D stuff, whatsoever, needs to be on this forum henceforth. It's simply too hard to keep track of things over there.

[quote="Essoje"]
HaBeHa28 wrote:Uh, the moment you count a 1 as a 6, they become the highest numbers in the set, so you'd keep them.
What he said.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin) Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:00 am

Any clue on when we might be able to start? Just wondering

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin) Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:20 am

Also, on the Aspect sheet, do aspects start with all those feats? Or just one every 4 levels?

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:25 am

Shikua wrote:Any clue on when we might be able to start? Just wondering. Also, on the Aspect sheet, do aspects start with all those feats? Or just one every 4 levels?
Pretty soon I'd imagine. Lotta characters are already rolled and ready to go. As for the Aspects sheet, those are the ones they can get every however many levels and, this is important, that list includes the only feats they can ever select from (hence why listing them there). ALSO also some of those feats function slightly differently then they do for PCs, for that Aspect.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin) Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:29 am

Admin wrote:
Shikua wrote:Any clue on when we might be able to start? Just wondering. Also, on the Aspect sheet, do aspects start with all those feats? Or just one every 4 levels?
Pretty soon I'd imagine. Lotta characters are already rolled and ready to go. As for the Aspects sheet, those are the ones they can get every however many levels and, this is important, that list includes the only feats they can ever select from (hence why listing them there). ALSO also some of those feats function slightly differently then they do for PCs, for that Aspect.
Awesome. Also, do aspects gain the normal 1 feat every 3 levels? i.e. Start with 2, then gain one and both levels 3 and 4? Just realized I only picked out one feat for my character, when they should have 2 as well.

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:30 am

Shikua wrote:Also, do aspects gain the normal 1 feat every 3 levels? i.e. Start with 2, then gain one and both levels 3 and 4? Just realized I only picked out one feat for my character, when they should have 2 as well.

In Aspects Leveling Sheets (the document) it details when any given Aspect gains a feat from their list. The rate is not static, it changes based on the Aspect.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:33 am

How does the language Skittish work for non-Olthoi? In other words is it like the language of the Wookies where other species can only understand it but don't speak it?
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:37 am

Calamity916 wrote:How does the language Skittish work for non-Olthoi? In other words is it like the language of the Wookies where other species can only understand it but don't speak it?
Yes Shyriiwook is actually an excellent example of Skittish. MOST Olthoi who venture outside the Hive lands can speak and understand at least Common, but non-Olthois have a terrible time speaking Skitish.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:56 am

Essoje wrote:Uh, the moment you count a 1 as a 6, they become the highest numbers in the set, so you'd keep them.

Right, but my question is do you change them all into 6's before or after dropping the lowest two numbers?
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:56 am

Before.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:58 am

(sigh)Rerolling...
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:16 am

Hey Arch. If I go with the extra college training for Weaving, what would my starting money look like? Would I have enough for some leather armor, a light shield, and a club?

I'm going poor baby. That and I noticed no one has gone for it yet so I thought I'd try it out. Capitalism Ho!
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:23 am

Kolson Wesrae wrote:Hey Arch. If I go with the extra college training for Weaving, what would my starting money look like? Would I have enough for some leather armor, a light shield, and a club?

I'm going poor baby. That and I noticed no one has gone for it yet so I thought I'd try it out. Capitalism Ho!
Choosing the college training for Weaving forsakes all starting gold (you start with 0) and your starting gear is the most vanilla stuff possible (plain Iron equipment with no bonuses or other stats). However you may of course use your starting CXP to try and make a few things, if you feel confident in your Weaving rolls.
Edit: Also I do not have permission to view your Google documents.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:36 am

Yeah, you know what, I'll try it. Oh, and what does vanilla gear mean? Just mundane stuff right? I thought that was what we got anyway at level 1.

Also, sorry about that. I opened it up. I hope. This is my first time using Google's sheets and stuff so I'm still trying to get used to the permissions. If it isn't right, I'll fix it with a little help.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next