Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions For The GM

+12
Permeus (tabran)
Sethos
K
Rory
Zeiss
Essoje
Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin)
Gwydo
Snarg of Wildpaw
Kolson
Araiguna
Admin
16 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Questions For The GM - Page 4 Empty Re: Questions For The GM

Post by Archengeia Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:57 am

Kolson Wesrae wrote:Yeah, you know what, I'll try it. Oh, and what does vanilla gear mean? Just mundane stuff right? I thought that was what we got anyway at level 1.

Also, sorry about that. I opened it up. I hope. This is my first time using Google's sheets and stuff so I'm still trying to get used to the permissions. If it isn't right, I'll fix it with a little help.
Yes you're right but someone with a good starting gold roll might be capable of purchasing an item of slightly higher Material, as listed on the Materials Chart. Or lower, to get more. Depends on the person. Also: Looked over the character sheet, looks perfect and barring any changes I'm willing to put my stamp on it. Whenever you're done with your background and finalized it just post both over in the Character thread please.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwydo Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:45 am

Would you allow my Paladin to take the Keen Intellect feat (first lvl) or a varient thereof?
http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Keen_Intellect

Gwydo
Gwydo

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Life
Class: Paladin
Race: Lugian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin) Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:07 pm

One last question, what's the rate for aspect's elemental abilities per day? Like, how many do they gain each level?

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Spacial
Class: Green Mage
Race: Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Permeus (tabran) Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:15 pm

your wording for the spell Float use's living thing. but can it be cast of non living objects.

e.g. we need to beat down a door fast in a ruined tower i see that there is a wooden rafter on the ground, i cast float on it, now im my mind if it works the rafter will slowly start to float off the ground (to a height of about a ft. off the ground) making it frictionless and able to be moved a lot easier and now be used as a battering ram?

CWR
Permeus (tabran)
Permeus (tabran)

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Water
Class: Yellow Mage / Rogue
Race: Lycanthrope

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:58 pm

I have a metric shit tonne of questions which I would absolutely love for somebody to answer, literally anybody that can give me an answer that my tiny human brain can understand.

Okay, what is a modifier and how do I figure mine out?

What is Martial to-hit and martial damage and how do I figure those out?

What is the section that reads Touch AC down to Intuit for? And how do I figure out whatever numbers I have to put in there?

How do I figure out my HP and AC?

How am I supposed to know my alignment if I haven't started playing yet?

How am I meant to have a reputation if I haven't started playing yet?

How do I work out all of my mana stats?

What defines my crafting EXP and how do I work it out?

I assume materia goes in my materia slots but I don't see why there's a whole table dedicated to a bunch of the same thing so what's up with that?

Would anybody like to roll dice for me so I can find out my attributes or stats or whatever the hell they're called?

Is there someway that I can roll for myself right now so that I can kid myself into thinking that I actually achieved anything in attempting to tackle this goddamn table of mind fuckery?

Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet
Class: White Mage
Race: Burun

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:33 pm

To start, I'd recommend reading the core rules at d20srd.org or at the very least skimming something like this: http://psycho.hubpages.com/hub/Making-a-character-in-35-DD

Archengeia's Magusien Rules Reference doc also covers some of these questions.

Sethos wrote:Okay, what is a modifier and how do I figure mine out?
I'm assuming you're talking about attribute modifiers. Those are numbers that you apply to any rolls (like skill rolls or just straight attribute rolls) based on that attribute.

Sethos wrote:What is Martial to-hit and martial damage and how do I figure those out?
This is something that Archengeia has introduced so I will quote the section on that:

Magusien Rules Reference wrote:Whirling Accuracy is a new rule for all martial classes, and is described herein rather than replicating all the BAB charts for every martial class available. The martial classes successive attacks after the first are now only -2 from the previous attack in to-hit terms. To explain by example, a normal Fighter at lvl 12 would have +12/+7/+2. A lvl 12 Fighter with Whirling Accuracy would have +12/+10/+8 instead.

Sethos wrote:What is the section that reads Touch AC down to Intuit for? And how do I figure out whatever numbers I have to put in there?

Normal AC is 10 + DEX modifier + armor + shield.
Touch AC is 10 + DEX modifier.
Flat-footed AC is 10 + armor.

It's technically broken down further, but that's the basic calculation. Magic items and other special stuff can add to these values.
Intuit is your highest attribute modifier. BAB is whatever it says on your class sheet that is appropriate for your level.

Sethos wrote:How do I figure out my HP and AC?
For this campaign, you gain HP every level equal to the max amount on your class' HD (hit die) plus your CON modifier. e.g. if you are a white mage (hit die d6) with 14 CON (+2 modifier) then you get (6 + 2) 8 HP (hit points) at first level. Each level you take in white mage will add that same amount to your HP. If your CON goes up or down for whatever reason, your HP will adjust as needed.

Sethos wrote:How am I supposed to know my alignment if I haven't started playing yet?
Think about your backstory and what your character is most likely to do when faced with a tough situation. Your alignment can change in-game and you shouldn't stick to it like a set of rules (unless you're playing that type of guy), but starting out, it gives an indication to what your character might do in certain situations.

Now, I play alignments more like guidelines and have had characters change their alignment before. For example, you could play a neutral character and slowly change his alignment towards good if he begins to have thoughts towards that alignment.

Sethos wrote:How am I meant to have a reputation if I haven't started playing yet?
I believe we're starting at 0 reputation.

Sethos wrote:How do I work out all of my mana stats?
Check the rules reference for this. It's too large to quote here, but in short, you gain mana based on a formula that is shown in the white mage class description.

Sethos wrote:What defines my crafting EXP and how do I work it out?
Check the rules reference for this. There's a section called "Crafting Experience". It's a little too complex for me to explain in short.

Sethos wrote:I assume materia goes in my materia slots but I don't see why there's a whole table dedicated to a bunch of the same thing so what's up with that?
Check the rules reference for this. There's a section called "Materia". It's a little too complex for me to explain in short.

Sethos wrote:Would anybody like to roll dice for me so I can find out my attributes or stats or whatever the hell they're called?
Someone can roll them, probably the GM, but nothing beats rolling up your own stats. I'd encourage you to do it.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Fire
Class: Barbarian / Ranger / Bloodhound / Geomancer
Race: Gnoll

http://thethirdgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:36 pm

Also, and this is for everyone, I'd encourage you to look at the materials section at the bottom of the Derethian Setting Reference when buying your gear and make sure the gear is the appropriate material. You can save some money by getting cheaper material or spend more and get some bonuses.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:49 pm

Aww you beat me to it, man!

It's cool though, you answered some questions I didn't know myself, gotta go mod my char sheet. You rock.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:00 pm

Right, I'm not going to quote you because it'll take up half the page.
Believe it or not, I have read all the material that Archengeia has given us and am finding it to be remarkably unhelpful in understanding anything, mainly because every concept is explained by introducing further concepts that I have no experience in. I understand why it's written like this, my point is that it is not very helpful, equally, and I don't mean this as an insult, but you are explaining things in a very similar manner and you cannot conceive how frustrating it's making this entire process. With this in mind, I am going to ask some more questions and I would like you, or anyone, to explain to me in as simplistic but in depth terms as is humanly possible, this will mean assuming that I know absolutely nothing about D&D which is good because those are the circumstances that I'm working with.

1) Where can I find these fabled numbers that you call attribute modifiers? Something at least slightly more specific than a website would be preferable.
2) Is a white mage a martial class?
3) Is this fabled rules reference one of the documents Archengeia gave us? Or is it on one of those horrendously difficult to navigate D&D sites that I've been slowly developing a strong urge to disembowel over the last six hours?

Thank you for trying to help, and I'm sorry for being confused with the unnecessarily convoluted writing style of everything D&D related on the internet.
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:13 pm

Okay, here's what I know:
Sethos wrote:1) Where can I find these fabled numbers that you call attribute modifiers? Something at least slightly more specific than a website would be preferable.
Let me explain how to roll stats.
You can use a bot for this. Wizards of the Coast's bot will do fine: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm
Enter 5 for the value under "Nbr" by "d6". The bot will roll the die 5 times, and "d6" is the die that it will roll(a six-sided die)
Your character needs six attribute stats(strength, constitution, intelligence, etc.), so you roll 6 times.
For each of the rolls, you will have 5 numbers. Turn any and all 1's into 6's, drop the lowest 2 numbers, and add up the remaining three and you will have one of the 6 numbers you need.
Do this with the rest of the set of numbers you've rolled, and you will have your 6 numbers.
Assign each number to a stat. Let's say you assign a 18 to WIS.

Now this is how you figure your modifiers:
A modifier is [insert stat here]-10 and divided by 2. If you have 18 WIS, your wisdom modifier will be +4. Done. Do this for all the others, and you will have your modifiers.
I'll admit, it took me this image to realize this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48699477@N02/4519171891/
I know it says "ability", but it's still referring to the same thing.

3) Is this fabled rules reference one of the documents Archengeia gave us? Or is it on one of those horrendously difficult to navigate D&D sites that I've been slowly developing a strong urge disembowel over the last six hours?[/quote]
Yeah, you will find them at the following link that he put in a thread under the "tutorial campaign" heading:
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bz-lEDSl7cA2UzFMdUJnd0lDOE0/edit?usp=sharing[/quote]

Hope that helps.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:16 pm

We have a dice bot in this forum, actually. When you make a Post Reply (not the Quick Reply), at the bottom of the page there's the dice roller.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:21 pm

Gwydo wrote:Would you allow my Paladin to take the Keen Intellect feat (first lvl) or a varient thereof?
http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Keen_Intellect
Done. *stamp*

Hanuel and Dara wrote:One last question, what's the rate for aspect's elemental abilities per day? Like, how many do they gain each level?
Y'know I cannot believe this isn't listed anywhere. An Aspect gains a usage of abilities per day equal to their level (which is equal to your level).

permeus wrote:your wording for the spell Float use's living thing. but can it be cast of non living objects.
e.g. we need to beat down a door fast in a ruined tower i see that there is a wooden rafter on the ground, i cast float on it, now im my mind if it works the rafter will slowly start to float off the ground (to a height of about a ft. off the ground) making it frictionless and able to be moved a lot easier and now be used as a battering ram?
I apologize for the poor wording. Float can be used on objects and whatnot and your example is a perfect example of how to do so.

Sethos wrote:1) Where can I find these fabled numbers that you call attribute modifiers? Something at least slightly more specific than a website would be preferable.
2) Is a white mage a martial class?
3) Is this fabled rules reference one of the documents Archengeia gave us? Or is it on one of those horrendously difficult to navigate D&D sites that I've been slowly developing a strong urge to disembowel over the last six hours?
Looks like someone beat me to answering this as I was typing it, but to answer question 2: No, a White Mage is not a martial class.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:22 pm

HaBeHa28 wrote:Okay, here's what I know:
Let me explain how to roll stats.
You can use a bot for this. Wizards of the Coast's bot will do fine: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm
Enter 5 for the value under "Nbr" by "d6". The bot will roll the die 5 times, and "d6" is the die that it will roll(a six-sided die)
Your character needs six attribute stats(strength, constitution, intelligence, etc.), so you roll 6 times.
For each of the rolls, you will have 5 numbers. Turn any and all 1's into 6's, drop the lowest 2 numbers, and add up the remaining three and you will have one of the 6 numbers you need.
Do this with the rest of the set of numbers you've rolled, and you will have your 6 numbers.
Assign each number to a stat. Let's say you assign a 18 to WIS.

Now this is how you figure your modifiers:
A modifier is [insert stat here]-10 and divided by 2. If you have 18 WIS, your wisdom modifier will be +4. Done. Do this for all the others, and you will have your modifiers.
I'll admit, it took me this image to realize this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48699477@N02/4519171891/
I know it says "ability", but it's still referring to the same thing.

3) Is this fabled rules reference one of the documents Archengeia gave us? Or is it on one of those horrendously difficult to navigate D&D sites that I've been slowly developing a strong urge disembowel over the last six hours?
Yeah, you will find them at the following link that he put in a thread under the "tutorial campaign" heading:
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bz-lEDSl7cA2UzFMdUJnd0lDOE0/edit?usp=sharing[/quote]

Hope that helps.[/quote]

Thank you very much, the equation for rolling stats was surprisingly the only thing I knew how to do, but thank you for explaining the modifier to me, I'm now going to give the dice rolling bot thing at the bottom of this post a go, if you never hear from me again it's probably because something went wrong and I had an anger induced brain aneurysm.
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:40 pm

I didn't die and I've finally rolled my stats after only nearly five hours.

Now come more questions,

In the class skills section for White Mage it says 4 + INT modifier per level, *4 at Character Creation. What does that mean exactly? Do I just get +4 INT?
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:46 pm

Sethos wrote:I didn't die and I've finally rolled my stats after only nearly five hours.

Now come more questions,

In the class skills section for White Mage it says 4 + INT modifier per level, *4 at Character Creation. What does that mean exactly? Do I just get +4 INT?

Regarding skills: You get a certain number of skill points to disseminate into your skills, with a max of 4 ranks in any given skill at character creation. In the case of a White Mage, that means you add your INT Modifier (whatever it ended up being) to 4, and then multiplying that by 4. That number is how many points you have to use at the start. Now, regarding the max ranks, the formula for that is very simple: For a class skill, you may have a max of Your Level + 3 ranks in a skill. For a non-class skill, the max rank is one half that number. A Class Skill (and I will shortly list White Mage Class Skills for you) is one that you are considered to be more capable in, and as such most people generally put their skill points in those, at a rate of 1 to 1. A non-class skill requires you to spend 2 skill points to raise it by 1 rank.
White Mage Class Skills: Appraise, Awareness, Concentration, Diplomacy, Deception, Gather Information, Heal, Knowledges, Perform, Profession, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device, Weaving
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:50 pm

Ok, quick comment:
I never really understood the whole cross-class skill being both maxed at half of max class skills AND costing 2 points to raise 1 rank.
It's not like we have tons of skill points to waste, so cross-class in half is already a big deal. Does anyone knows any specific on why it's this way?
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:51 pm

Essoje wrote:Ok, quick comment:
I never really understood the whole cross-class skill being both maxed at half of max class skills AND costing 2 points to raise 1 rank.
It's not like we have tons of skill points to waste, so cross-class in half is already a bit deal. Does anyone knows any specific on why it's this way?

It's less of an issue in my campaign due to the squished skills list but the entire point was to make you really work for cross skills, and to emphasize that some classes just weren't very good at skill checks (Fighter comes to mind). This also helped the Rogue really shine, as a Rogue has just about everything as a class skill and a ton of skill points to fling around (and this is balanced out by the Fighter being, generally, way better in combat).
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:52 pm

Archengeia wrote:
Sethos wrote:I didn't die and I've finally rolled my stats after only nearly five hours.

Now come more questions,

Regarding skills: You get a certain number of skill points to disseminate into your skills, with a max of 4 ranks in any given skill at character creation. In the case of a White Mage, that means you add your INT Modifier (whatever it ended up being) to 4, and then multiplying that by 4. That number is how many points you have to use at the start. Now, regarding the max ranks, the formula for that is very simple: For a class skill, you may have a max of Your Level + 3 ranks in a skill. For a non-class skill, the max rank is one half that number. A Class Skill (and I will shortly list White Mage Class Skills for you) is one that you are considered to be more capable in, and as such most people generally put their skill points in those, at a rate of 1 to 1. A non-class skill requires you to spend 2 skill points to raise it by 1 rank.
White Mage Class Skills: Appraise, Awareness, Concentration, Diplomacy, Deception, Gather Information, Heal, Knowledges, Perform, Profession, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device, Weaving

I did the INT modifier maths thing that you described and got 80, did I do something wrong?
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:53 pm

Essoje wrote:Ok, quick comment:
It's not like we have tons of skill points to waste, so cross-class in half is already a big deal. Does anyone knows any specific on why it's this way?
Honestly I don't know. Because the creators of the game wanted the classes to be specialized I guess. I've seen a lot of people do away with them. I suppose it represents the type of training your class has received or what they normally do, although sometimes it doesn't make a whole lot of sense (like some classes not knowing how to see or hear).

Last edited by Whis Kor on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:55 pm

Sethos wrote:I did the INT modifier maths thing that you described and got 80, did I do something wrong?

Let's take a step back. What attribute stats did you roll?
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:58 pm

Archengeia wrote:
Sethos wrote:I did the INT modifier maths thing that you described and got 80, did I do something wrong?

Let's take a step back. What attribute stats did you roll?

10, 14, 14, 15, 16 , 16

Decided 16 was INT, the modifier came to 3 and I just realised I added the 4 to the 16 not the 3 and that's how I ended up with 80. My actual answer is 28, thank you for making me double check XD
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:16 pm

So I have 28 additional points to sink into all the INT skills? Or do I only have 28 for my INT skills? Or do I have 28 points to sink into everything (INT, STR, DEX etc.)?
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin) Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:19 pm

You can put them in any skill. It costs 1 point per rank for class skills, and 2 points per rank for non-class skills.

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Spacial
Class: Green Mage
Race: Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:23 pm

Hanuel and Dara wrote:You can put them in any skill. It costs 1 point per rank for class skills, and 2 points per rank for non-class skills.

That didn't really answer my question XD Do I have 28 points as well as the points from each of my rolls or instead of them?

Last edited by Sethos on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : There was an apostrophe missing)
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:24 pm

You only have 28 points, unless you have a bonus because of your race. I'm an elf and I get +4 skill points at first level.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next