Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions For The GM

+12
Permeus (tabran)
Sethos
K
Rory
Zeiss
Essoje
Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin)
Gwydo
Snarg of Wildpaw
Kolson
Araiguna
Admin
16 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Questions For The GM - Page 2 Empty Re: Questions For The GM

Post by K Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:26 pm

Yeah, i've been meaning to ask about that. I read that post in google groups about class-alignment mentality, and doesn't seem like Archengeia really likes it (doesn't appeal to me either), but i'd sorta like to know for sure. My character's background is rather sketchy for 11 years that he was an adventurer too, so if i have to go with the whole "monk must train in temple" thing, kinda puts a dent in my plan.
K
K

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Monk
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:36 pm

[quote="Th3Third"]
Continuing this discussion here.

Alright, thanks, I will mark those languages down. I'll be keeping track of everything on the Google doc, so if you need anything, that's where my sheet will be and will always be updated.

Sorry about the crappy writing, that's not really my forté. If it bothers, any points on what I need to improve would be appreciated and I'll take some time to fix it. Otherwise I'll leave it for now.

I apologize if I missed a response to this in the last thread, but will you allow me to apply the middle-age template to him? Do you also have a starting gold value in mind? I've got some placeholder items on the third sheet, but I remember you saying that you were going to be doing variable amounts of starting gold based on story and other factors.

Are there any specific books you're just plain saying "no" to getting stuff from? e.g. Complete Warrior, Player's Handbook II, Eberron, etc? I know that normally anything third-party is a "check with GM" by default, but I just wanted to see where you stand on the official Wizards stuff.

First I'm sorry for implying your writing was crappy, I was really tired and in a bad mood last night, I do apologize. It's more than understandable and relatable and frankly that is plenty for this type of format, I got your character and his mentality with ease. Now, yes you can apply the middle-age template. As I've said before, I tend to edit starting gold slightly based on backstory but ironically in your case I'm going to leave it as is (the Sho do give a stipend to its retirees however that stipend is enough to live on a normal person's budget IE 1 gold = a lot, not an adventurer's budget, so standard starting gold for a fighter). As for specific books, as a default rule any book you can find I'm okay with. Any individual RULE you find I need to approve, but 90% of the time I'm going to say yes, I merely want to make sure 1: I'm on the same page (no pun intended) as you and 2: It fits with my ruleset and 3: It fits with my setting. Other than that, sky's the limit.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://archengeiadnd.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:38 pm

Th3Third wrote:you could take a level in fighter at level do and effectively be Barbarian 1 / Fighter 1. This would give you the benefits of both classes at their first level.
When you say "do", you mean "dos" or two? Does taking a level in another class require a level up?
Th3Third wrote:You can essentially mix-and-match classes this way, but you won't gain access to the higher level stuff in one particular class if you do this.
Completely on-board with role playing. Now when you say that I won't gain access to higher level stuff, would that mean forfeiting bonus feats in both classes, or would I get to choose? Cause I'd really like to go all the way with rage. I appreciate the suggestion, if I can't be guaranteed to learn Mighty Rage at 20 in advance and be literate when choosing to multiclass, I'm more inclined to put two points towards literacy. Plenty of things to read/write between 1 and 20, ya know?

Th3Third wrote:I can't post links in this forum, but if you go to d20srd.org you should find the core rules that give all those equations.
Thanks, I'm working on figuring everything together.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Okay the multi quote feature is awesome but doesn't appear to go across page so: @Colins, I've looked over both of your character sheets and they look awesome. One thing I want to mention (purely as an option that you might not have noticed or... I might not have put in the ruleset, I forget) is you can basically forgo starting gold and starting gear with a character who is trained in Weaving to alter your backstory such that you went to school for it. This gives 4 bonus points to it (in addition to any ranks) and grants you 2 bonus CXP to start.

Shikua wrote:Hey arch, I know you don't want to do a voice/video thing for the entire campaign, but what about recording some voice bits for key descriptions during the game? Like, descriptions of major cities or villains?

I'll certainly consider it. I'd kind of enjoy doing that honestly. Major villains would have to wait for obvious reasons (for the live party, the only major villain is Red Cloak... for you guys, and the world at large, there are none really... yet)

Shikua wrote:You said feats are on a case-by-case basis, so is Weapon Finesse a feat I can have? Might as well get the extra +1 to hit if I can get it.

Archengeia's Stamp o' Approval. Go for it.

Vorodill wrote:Also posted on Google groups the background for my character. When you have time Archengeia, check it out and tell me if there is something I should change.

I'm sorry I'm not sure which character sheet is yours. ALSO as a note to everyone, I'm going to see if I can lift that 'link stuff in forums' restriction asap cuz that's stupid.

HaBeHa28 wrote:I want my barbarian to read and write, but they can't by default. Can I sacrifice a skill point or two to gain that, or what can I do?

Several other people have given you additional options. I'm willing to say you can burn a starting feat OR your starting gold/equipment to add into your backstory that you've been schooled, allowing you to read and write. Your choice.

K_ wrote:Yeah, i've been meaning to ask about that. I read that post in google groups about class-alignment mentality, and doesn't seem like Archengeia really likes it (doesn't appeal to me either), but i'd sorta like to know for sure. My character's background is rather sketchy for 11 years that he was an adventurer too, so if i have to go with the whole "monk must train in temple" thing, kinda puts a dent in my plan.

I'm not big on alignments, it's true (as long as you're not evil) but there are a few basic things I want to keep such as monks being trained somewhere. Not necessarily a temple or a monastery but undergoing some form of formal training. This is true both pre and post character creation.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by K Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:51 pm

Would it be alright if he'd trained with some hermit - Mr. Miyagi - type person (seems like the most harmless thing, lorewise)?

Last edited by K_ on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
K
K

Character sheet
Class: Monk

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:59 pm

K_ wrote:Would it be alright if he'd trained with some hermit - Mr. Miyagi - type person (seems like the most harmless thing, lorewise), or should i see to rewriting?

Do me a favor and tell me in full what you're thinking for your character, lore/progression wise. You can do it in a PM if you'd prefer. Then I'll decide.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:54 pm

Where should I post my back story and stats thingimijigs once they're done?
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Water
Class: White Mage
Race: Burun

Back to top Go down

Post by Permeus (tabran) Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:01 pm

the House name is fine and how they work is just what i had in my head

addition info i would like to use for my toon

toon's name is Tabran (said Tab Ran)
his Alignment (if your using them) is Chaotic Neutral

the local's think that he has been freed (due to one or two white lie's on his part)
and he has avoided telling any one that doesn't need to know by Law that he is a yellow mage (it would be bad for business both real and cover)

in the past 5 months Tabran has managed to set up a small tavern to help in his work gathering information and keeping him feed and off the streets, it doesn't make much in the way of gold just enough to pay for the cost of running the place plus a little gold on the side for luxuries, it has also aloud him to make several useful contacts that are "not on the Books" one of which been the local thief's guild of which one he has become close friend with plus some local city guards that can be quite talkative with a bit of drink in them, you'd also be surprised how much a beggar see (especially when most people go out of there way to not see them)

level 1 spells i will be taking

Scan
Float
Reflect
protect
Curse or sleep

feat
quicken spell

Question
for a yellow mage is it 4 class skills or 4 +int mod?

also to finish of the making of the character ill need the stat mods for a Lycan (if any) and any rules that go with them please.
Permeus (tabran)
Permeus (tabran)

Character sheet
Class: Yellow Mage / Rogue
Race: Lycanthrope

Back to top Go down

Post by Snarg of Wildpaw Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:10 pm

First I'm sorry for implying your writing was crappy, I was really tired and in a bad mood last night, I do apologize. It's more than understandable and relatable and frankly that is plenty for this type of format, I got your character and his mentality with ease. Now, yes you can apply the middle-age template. As I've said before, I tend to edit starting gold slightly based on backstory but ironically in your case I'm going to leave it as is (the Sho do give a stipend to its retirees however that stipend is enough to live on a normal person's budget IE 1 gold = a lot, not an adventurer's budget, so standard starting gold for a fighter). As for specific books, as a default rule any book you can find I'm okay with. Any individual RULE you find I need to approve, but 90% of the time I'm going to say yes, I merely want to make sure 1: I'm on the same page (no pun intended) as you and 2: It fits with my ruleset and 3: It fits with my setting. Other than that, sky's the limit.
No, no, no, don't think that I was insulted or anything - I wasn't even thinking along those lines. I just welcome tips on stuff that I do and I respect your opinion on writing, so I asked.

Okay, thanks, I'll go ahead and apply the middle-age template (character sheet will be updated soon). I'll use the standard starting gold for a fighter as well.

Thanks for the clarification on the rule books. I would like to also let everyone know that there's an excellent D&D resources at http://dndtools.eu/ if you're looking for spells, feats, classes - everything. It has some of the material from the official Wizards books.

When you say "do", you mean "dos" or two? Does taking a level in another class require a level up?
Ugh, my apologies. Sometimes I don't write what I'm thinking and other words come out. Yes, taking a level in another class does require a level up.

Completely on-board with role playing. Now when you say that I won't gain access to higher level stuff, would that mean forfeiting bonus feats in both classes, or would I get to choose? Cause I'd really like to go all the way with rage. I appreciate the suggestion, if I can't be guaranteed to learn Mighty Rage at 20 in advance and be literate when choosing to multiclass, I'm more inclined to put two points towards literacy. Plenty of things to read/write between 1 and 20, ya know?
You would essentially be leveling them separately and applying their class level (not your total level) stuff to your character. For example, if you reached level 2 and decided to take a level in fighter, you would be a Barbarian 1 / Fighter 1. Now, if you reached level 3 and decided to take a level in Barbarian again, you would be a Barbarian 2 / Fighter 1. You would not get the level 2 fighter stuff - only the Barbarian stuff. Suppose you reached level 4 and wanted to take a level in fighter. You now get the level 2 fighter stuff. However, you're level 4 but you only have level 2 stuff in each of the classes. You're more versatile, but you lack specialization. Since you're wanting to go all the way with rage, you will need to level up Barbarian quite a bit.
Snarg of Wildpaw
Snarg of Wildpaw

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Fire
Class: Barbarian / Ranger / Bloodhound / Geomancer
Race: Gnoll

http://thethirdgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:11 pm

permeus wrote:Question
for a yellow mage is it 4 class skills or 4 +int mod?

According to this document, page 17, that's 3+INT skill ranks per level, but since this is the first level, multiply that by 4. Class skills list are at the top of the document.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Permeus (tabran) Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:28 pm

ok that makes more sence than how i read it, its been to long since i make a D&D toon.

CWR
Permeus (tabran)
Permeus (tabran)

Character sheet
Class: Yellow Mage / Rogue
Race: Lycanthrope

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin) Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:33 pm

Hey Arch, if I can make a suggestion, I say toss up another thread JUST for people to put Character Back stories and sheets so they're easily viewable.

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Spacial
Class: Green Mage
Race: Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:37 pm

Shikua wrote:Hey Arch, if I can make a suggestion, I say toss up another thread JUST for people to put Character Back stories and sheets so they're easily viewable.

I like this idea, this is an idea that I like.
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:50 pm

[quote="Th3Third"]
if you reached level 2 and decided to take a level in fighter, you would be a Barbarian 1 / Fighter 1. Now, if you reached level 3 and decided to take a level in Barbarian again, you would be a Barbarian 2 / Fighter 1. You would not get the level 2 fighter stuff - only the Barbarian stuff. Suppose you reached level 4 and wanted to take a level in fighter. You now get the level 2 fighter stuff. However, you're level 4 but you only have level 2 stuff in each of the classes. You're more versatile, but you lack specialization. Since you're wanting to go all the way with rage, you will need to level up Barbarian quite a bit.
Aaahh, I get it. Since the 29th and 30th levels of barbarian are nothing and trap sense respectively(don't really care for trap sense), I'd be able to get 2 bonus feats out of reaching level 2 fighter and still get the most out of Rage.

Admin wrote:Several other people have given you additional options. I'm willing to say you can burn a starting feat OR your starting gold/equipment to add into your backstory that you've been schooled, allowing you to read and write. Your choice.
I appreciate it, but Th3Third's made a pretty good case for multiclassing.

Just one more thing and I'm done bugging everyone with my "no have handbook help please" nonsense.

D20srd.org under Wealth and Money(which is under equipment/special), it states "Assume a character owns at least one outfit....Pick any one of the following....artisan's" etc. So you have a pair of clothes, but you get to specify what that is, is that right?
Addendum: Aside from any and all changes to the game you make in your house rules/Dereth, can I assume that D20srd.org is the word on everything else? I'll still be sure to run it all by Arch to make sure everything's dandy.

Backstory thread: I second this. Wouldn't want Arch up to his neck in PM's that aren't IC related.

Last edited by HaBeHa28 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:52 pm

permeus wrote:Misc stuff, plus: also to finish of the making of the character ill need the stat mods for a Lycan (if any) and any rules that go with them please.

Everything else works for me. Do note that if you're still on retainer that probably come up... well, more than once. As for Lycanthrope stat changes:
+2 WIS. Low-Light vision and +4 Awareness regardless of form. +1 Hit Die. +2 AC in natural form (what would normally be considered hybrid form). As a natural Lycanthrope you can change between animal and natural form (1 * level)/day. Or if that's not clear enough, once per day for every level you have (IE 5 times a day at level 5).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:53 pm

HaBeHa28 wrote:D20srd.org under Wealth and Money(which is under equipment/special), it states "Assume a character owns at least one outfit....Pick any one of the following....artisan's" etc. So you have a pair of clothes, but you get to specify what that is, is that right?
Addendum: Aside from any and all changes to the game you make in your house rules/Dereth, can I assume that D20srd.org is the word on everything else? I'll still be sure to run it all by Arch to make sure everything's dandy.

That is correct. Nothing too fancy (remember you're just starting out) but you can pick a basic, common outfit. Clothes are automatic, in other words. And aside from house rules, yes D20srd.org is a site I highly endorse and encourage. Ultimately my house rules only REALLY change crafting and magic extensively, the rest is minor touches.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:03 pm

Right. I just remembered that if I'm going to multiclass, my character either won't have rage or won't have literacy from the start. I'll go with spending all my gold(and therefore equipment, of course) on literacy somewhere in my backstory. Ultimately, what I want is for literacy to be in my origin/backstory. Still, I could gain two levels in fighter for those two bonus feats. We'll see what happens.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin) Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:16 pm

Gonna say this here, I find the idea that PC are all multilingual geniuses kinda dumb :/ can I sacrifices 2 or 3 of my bonus languages for Weaving ranks? I want my character to have spent their spare time practicing weaving (a solitary thing) instead of on languages (a social thing).

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:17 pm

I was wondering Archengeia, how does one qualify for application to the Al-Jalima mage academies? Depending on your answer I may make that a defining point of my character.
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:24 pm

Shikua wrote:Gonna say this here, I find the idea that PC are all multilingual geniuses kinda dumb :/ can I sacrifices 2 or 3 of my bonus languages for Weaving ranks? I want my character to have spent their spare time practicing weaving (a solitary thing) instead of on languages (a social thing).

Mages gain bonus languages based on their INT modifier. In your case I'm willing to make an exception and give you a 1 to 1 tradeoff for languages to Weaving bonus ranks.

Sethos Oornigal wrote:I was wondering Archengeia, how does one qualify for application to the Al-Jalima mage academies? Depending on your answer I may make that a defining point of my character.

I'm hesitant to allow attendance for a starting character due to the cost and difficulty in applying and attending the Academy. I'm not going to say no outright, just debating. In order to attend one must pay a basic enrollment fee up front, then attend a sort of entrance course in whatever field(s) it is you wish to study in. If you do not perform well in those courses (say 90% or better in grade equivalent) then you are told sorry try again. It is worth noting that if you really want to apply yourself and are determined you can then turn around and apply for the entrance course again, there's no cooldown so to speak. I mean, it's your time and money to burn.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:35 pm

Admin wrote:
Shikua wrote:Gonna say this here, I find the idea that PC are all multilingual geniuses kinda dumb :/ can I sacrifices 2 or 3 of my bonus languages for Weaving ranks? I want my character to have spent their spare time practicing weaving (a solitary thing) instead of on languages (a social thing).

Mages gain bonus languages based on their INT modifier. In your case I'm willing to make an exception and give you a 1 to 1 tradeoff for languages to Weaving bonus ranks.

Sethos Oornigal wrote:I was wondering Archengeia, how does one qualify for application to the Al-Jalima mage academies? Depending on your answer I may make that a defining point of my character.

I'm hesitant to allow attendance for a starting character due to the cost and difficulty in applying and attending the Academy. I'm not going to say no outright, just debating. In order to attend one must pay a basic enrollment fee up front, then attend a sort of entrance course in whatever field(s) it is you wish to study in. If you do not perform well in those courses (say 90% or better in grade equivalent) then you are told sorry try again. It is worth noting that if you really want to apply yourself and are determined you can then turn around and apply for the entrance course again, there's no cooldown so to speak. I mean, it's your time and money to burn.

Well, presumably my character needs to have gotten training in magic to be white mage right? Or does being a starting character mean that I'm without training?
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanuel and Dara(Toilarin) Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:40 pm

What's a fair starting gold for my character? I'll obviously take out what I would have spent on weapons and such before updating my sheet.

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sethos Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:42 pm

Also, another question, is there a specific place that you want our characters to have all ended up in so that partying up doesn't take a million years?
Sethos
Sethos

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:45 pm

Sethos Oornigal wrote:Well, presumably my character needs to have gotten training in magic to be white mage right? Or does being a starting character mean that I'm without training?

Of course you've been trained. Being trained at the single best academy in the entire world is a bit different then being trained. BUT like I said if you can come up with a good reason for it I'm willing to listen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:50 pm

Sethos Oornigal wrote:Also, another question, is there a specific place that you want our characters to have all ended up in so that partying up doesn't take a million years?
The Tutorial campaign will be unconnected with the overall story as a method of testing format, getting familiar with each other, etc. I'll talk about that more later. When we get to the real campaign, we'll be in a better place to decide starting location. However I am basically going to require everyone to start in the same place.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next