Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 6: April 28th - 3th May

+2
Archengeia
Zeiss
6 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Week 6: April 28th - 3th May - Page 6 Empty Re: Week 6: April 28th - 3th May

Post by Zeiss Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:46 am

OOC:
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:18 am

Arch:
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Dark
Class: Red Mage
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:26 am

OOC, Kolson:
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:49 pm

Rory wrote:OOC: Wait...did they already leave? Oh no. I guess that means I'll have to put off that mission to find the fabled Desolate town for Zeiss. Sorry man. I need to go visit the Thrush or something. Kolson, would you really be okay with coming with me?

"Higaide." Rory's found a new target. "We've been had! Those ships that came for everyone, why? Why do you think? They stole our entire race right from under my nose! And I let them..."

He stops. "Someone sold us out. Who? Tell me we still have them in cells."
Higaide's stunned silence penetrate's Rory's bluster, giving him a chance to clear his mind - with minimal effect. "Nevermind. Go get Javan, see if he'll help me. Let's go see those charts, Kolson. Gods, what lead could we possibly have? They're all gone! This can't be happening."

"I'll be right with you, Kolson. I need to go take care of something."

Rory hurries toward his room again, not in panic, but with purpose. he tears out a sheet of paper and scrawls a message on it in haste. He goes to where Zeiss sleeps and slides it under the door.

Hastily scrawled note, addressed "Exchange Overlord":

He knew he'd be coming right back to gather his things before leaving. Maybe he'd see Zeiss while he was, and Kolson or Higaide would maybe take the time to say goodbye. At the same time, maybe not.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:31 am

Just as Rory starts to walk away, the door to Zeiss' room opens. Advoc is standing there, the piece of paper in his hand, with as much of a puzzled look on his face as an Aspect can have.

"I always stand guard while he sleeps. Just in case an assassin decides to pay him a visit."

He rereads the hastily scribbled note.

"I can already tell you that Zeiss cannot leave Holtburg. But he will understand your need to help your people and will surely help you on this quest."

He thinks for a moment, holding the same posture that Zeiss would have if he was the one here. After a few seconds, he approaches Rory and gives him back the note.

"We'll send three of our agents with you. They're not the best spies, but they will make an excellent job of setting up Exchange outposts. It will make it possible for us to track your progress while establishing a supply line. You will receive information, and occasionally some equipment. Oh, and burn this message."

He turns around and just as he enters the room, he says one last thing:

"I'll make sure Zeiss is there to say goodbye."

OOC:

Last edited by Zeiss of Dreamkeeper on Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:51 am

When the note is handed back to him, Rory's thoughts are mixed - surprised that he would be getting any assistance in manpower from Zeiss, and a little offended that the letter is being given back to him, thus making it his responsibility to burn it. With a crooked frown, he says, "Thanks," and takes off after Kolson, grumbling, "Aspects."
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:51 am

Higaide walks up to Javan's room. Knocks on door twice, loudly.

"Javan!"
K
K

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Monk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:34 pm

Essoje:

"Come on Rory, we need to get to Tia's house."

Kolson will lead the way and, if there is nothing wrong, open the door using his keys (I'm pretty sure we didn't burn down the house once upon a time during that assassination attempt. Guess we'll find out, lol.) If the house is still standing and not looted we'll go up to the attic to find the sea charts in Kolson's father's sea chest.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:01 am

As they move through the house, Rory will comment, "There's no one here. If I could go home right now, I wouldn't see any of my people there. Some day, I just want to go home, wherever that ends up being, and see my brothers and sisters waiting for me."
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:00 am

Arch:
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:48 am

Reposting all my actions again to make it easier. I've been all over the place this week.

Plot related actions
:
  • -Zeiss is personally involved- Investigate the companies of the High Queen and arrange a meeting. Kolson will help. To accomplish that, I have an idea: let's inquire into buying out certain companies... on the Queen's behalf. Obviously, we're not trying to upset her, but only for her to take notice of us. If nothing else, she may be amused by how we're trying to make an appointment. 
  • -Kolson's actions- Kolson will continue to work with the Lady of Holtburg to take out the Separatists while also strengthening his position within the Aluvian military.

Exchange's actions:
  • Week's profits: ?
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- 500gp in bonuses will be distributed amongst our soldiers (unless you tell me it's too much). They did a good job. Don't worry, I keep track of the money.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- Continue to rebuild the Exchange Intelligence (spy network).
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- Sell the loot we got from the battle in the Royal District. Then give half that gold to Gretta. She doesn't need to know what fraction of the loot she's getting.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- Find a woven tattoo (the less expensive kind) that lets me have the Leadership feat.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- The rumor that I killed my best spy? Well, I want my employees to know it's false. So I'll gather them for an announcement which I will do in person. Here's what I tell them: I haven't ordered the death of this spy, nor did I want him dead. Not only would it be unethical, it would also be a waste of resources. However, after we discovered he was doing something we weren't aware of, we tried to talk to him about it to discover if he had any hidden agenda. He tried to escape, and he mysteriously died. We're not sure what happened, but we guess the device that was hidden within is body killed him to avoid any leak of information. No reason to be worried: we're already on the case.  Use Persuasion.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- I give Sareth an important task: set up the ground work to weed out the conspirators within the Exchange. Start by identifying the spies we can trust or sway to our side. He's the First Keeper after all (see the Exchange's hierarchy file in my signature for reference).
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- The ex-adventurer Wedge is now in charge of training my "militia". I think we can safely assume Rory gave him a briefing on what works and what doesn't.
  • -Zeiss is personally involved- Again, let's invest more resources towards setting up these projects: the Shadow Depository (a la Farscape), the Black Butterfly (the inn where people go hide until things calm down), the Criminal Headhunting Task Force (our local employment agency) and more importantly, the unification of the Blocs (by replacing the Undermarket middle managers).
  • -Zeiss is personally involved- Zeiss will gather the employees who are assigned to the Shadow Depository. After taking a moment of silence to gauge the small gathering, he starts his speech: "The Shadow Depository is to be the most secure bank in Dereth, where we guarantee complete privacy and the utmost professionalism. Your salary, which is quite substantial, reflects this. The reason I chose you for this assignment is because I believe you competent enough not to accept any bribe. If your financial situation ever takes a turn for the bad, there is no need to get desperate, you only need to come to me and I will try to arrange something, such as an advance on your next paycheck or a loan set at a low interest. As long as it is reasonable. Minor mistakes made during your shift are not something to get worked up about neither. Do not repeat them, that's all. I know how to be lenient when the situation calls for it, or when to reward an employee who has shown loyalty. However, let me make one thing clear: the consequences for stealing from me or my clients are dire." Zeiss gives his employees a firm look. "Do. Not. Betray. Me. If you do...  well, best not say in polite company." Once Zeiss made sure his message was understood, he goes back to work. -So yeah, the employees who work at the Shadow Depository are paid a lot better than the other ones.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- I extend the No Bribe policy to the Black Butterfly along with a better pay. It's supposed to be an inn where privacy is paramount.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- Sareth and our most trusted spies will try to find Zeiss' father.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- Any employee who is still working for someone else other than the Exchange (the remaining 5%), even after I made my two previous offers, are going to be given a new job by the Criminal Headhunting Task Force at another company. They're definitely going to work for someone else now. If they refuse this new job, I'll just fire them and hire new people. However, let's wait until the task force is set up before I do this.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- Once there's no fighting, my two black mages will go back to training people. Also, anyone that signs up for this training has to accept a magical contract that they will offer X years of working exclusively for the Exchange with a reasonnably reduced salary than what they would usually get. Because it's free training.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- If my employees find Separatists mercenaries who have survived the battle and are in hiding within Holtburg, I'll offer them a job at the Exchange. I'm sure I can make their previous allegiances disappear. If there reasonably high level soldiers or mages, please do tell.

Changes to the Exchange:
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- New policy: all my employees can accept any bribe. However, the deal I made with my spies will be extended to everyone: I take a small cut (no more than 5%, just so that people understand who is the boss), and any info they leak must have been approved by me and my managers. If someone is trying to bribe one of my guards to let them sneak into a warehouse, they can accept the bribe, but they must immediately tell a superior and arrest the intruders. Except the for the Shadow Depository. No bribery accepted there.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- I want the Black Butterfly to rent out quiet rooms, where for X amount of time, a Silence spell is cast (a device that uses charges will do). Clients will have to pay to use it of course.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- Let's put up a cafeteria for my employees. I want to cater to every race possible. It has to be a nice environment for them to relax, and where good food is served.
  • -Zeiss the Delegator- I want to upgrade Zeiss' office. If necessary, I will change it to another place within the Veil.

1. Features: it has to be in the middle of all the Exchange's bureaucracy for more efficiency, it has an overhauled records keeping system which makes my job easier, there are at least two secret escape routes built within it (that are littered with traps that only I can deactivate), it is connected to a separate "War Room" with an interactive table shaped like a map of Dereth (which can add markers and pieces to identify different factions, their borders and their forces/resources), there's an area dedicated to meeting my business partners (where I can also offer refreshments), there's another separate area connected to my office which allows me to live there (like my own apartment) which contains a large and hidden safe woven for my soul exclusively, and a permanent Silence spell cast on the whole office (or something that uses charges to cast the spell).
  2. Style: it is very practical and has no decorum whatsoever. The only things that are luxurious are there for the sake of important meetings with business partners (nice chairs that change shape for its user, different types of alcohol and pipe-weed available, refrigerated juices from across the continent, etc.). There are two windows which offer a woven view of a nice landscape you could find near Glenden Wood and the weather changes accordingly to Holtburg's.
  3. Special note: remember the cell I was put in because the Order claimed I was a warmonger? It had a time warping spell on it which made time pass faster on the inside. I want that, if I can afford it, for my office. I made a deal with the General, so I'll ask him if he can help me acquire this "feature" and maybe reduce its cost. If I can't afford it... well, better luck next time.

• -Zeiss is personally involved- Choose the three most competent and trustworthy bureaucrats I have (who are not interested in bribes and such) and have their office move next to mine. These are now my personal secretaries. They will be among the few people allowed to step in my office.
  • -Zeiss is personally involved- I hire my own cook/butler (double check with Sareth to make sure he or she is trustworthy). They will be allowed within my office and will also serve my guests.
  • -Zeiss is personally involved- Let's buy some antidotes to any poison my cook might use. Juuuuuuust in case.

Secret cabal's actions:
  • -Zeiss is personally involved- We'll have to rely on something else other than gold to ensure our employees' loyalty. Which is why I'm setting up a secret movement: the Gilded Masters. The Masters is a movement of like-minded individuals who are prepared to go to great lengths to ensure the freedom of all sentient beings, even at the cost of "prosperity and order" (kind of like the Assassins in Assassin's Creed, but with the ruthlessness of the Templars). Its members are, for the moment, all handpicked by Zeiss and Sareth themselves. They are elite individuals who excel at their own field of expertise: combat, infiltration, scouting, management, persuasion, etc. You can't apply to become a Master, you're always put forward as candidate by one of its members. However, once you're in, you're given two things: a woven gilded ring of copper which is automatically destroyed when removed from your hand (or when your hand is cut, or if you die, or any other circumstance)... and the truths about Primus that have been discovered up to this point. That knowledge includes: the existence of several organizations (the Pinnacle, the Supremacy, the Directorate, the Eleven, etc.), the Phoenix spell, the Scions, the suspicion that the Pinnacle is governed by one or many Scions who rewrite the memories of the inhabitants of Dereth, Gaerlan, the Lassels, the death of the green mages 14 years ago and everything else I can't think of right now. Since this group is very selective, all of its members will have a name (I can take care of naming the members if you prefer). Of course, since this world is crumbling as we speak, the Masters will also be charged with the mission to preserve the existence of Dereth, so we won't be recruiting only from within the Exchange, but also from other organizations and nations. Each time the movement finds a potential candidate, we'll take our time to make sure they won't betray us (and scan them for any device once they joined us). Another caveat: we accept Desolate members. We'll figure out a way to hide their condition before we recruit any of them, but I want to make sure every member is aware of that fact.

1. Immediate goals of the movement: scout out potential candidates from within and without the Exchange, free the Exchange from external influences, expand the Exchange's reach to ensure a continuous source of income (and resources) and build up the Masters' power base by infiltrating the military, economical and political factions.
  2. Long term goals: foil the Pinnacle's plans, stop the war, and kill the remaining hostile Scions who still live (or at the very least disable them).
  3. Philosophy: the Gilded Masters are the protectors of freedom. However, they know that their own freedom cannot supersede everyone else's, which is why they attempt to strike a balance between their own ambitions and the well being of others. If nothing else, a selfish Master would help the poor and the weak for good publicity and protect himself from any revolution. While a Master might use blackmail against one particular target, or even murder, they will never take an innocent hostage. The people who are not part of the "game" are to be left alone. At most, a Master could lie to their target and imply they will hurt their loved ones, but they will never follow through with that threat. It's also acceptable for a Master to have subordinates to order around, as long as some form of oral or written contract has been made (no slavery). A Master is also someone who believes that the general population should be entrusted with certain truths (the existence of the Phoenix Spell for example) and learn how to deal with it. The only thing that prevents Zeiss from revealing the truth about this matter is the lack of proof and the fact that the Order would probably grow stronger following this revelation. If he could avoid that, he would most certainly make sure that everyone learns about this spell and attempt to guide the citizens of Dereth towards a solution as to how to deal with it. One last thing: all Masters are given the right to use the Hub.

• -Zeiss is personally involved- Find out if Biggs, Wedge and Qui-Gon would make good candidates for the Gilded Masters. It doesn't mean we're going to recruit them right away, but only start the process of "reviewing their intentions". That will be the same for all candidates. I'm always, always, on the lookout for candidates. If you think any NPC I encounter would make a good addition to the movement, feel free to notify me and I'll add them to my list of candidates. The other Masters can also make their own suggestion as to who to recruit.
  • Why the name "Gilded Masters": the ring they wear symbolize who they are; powerful individuals whose appearance and behavior hide the fact that there's nothing special about them.

The Sho branch of the Exchange:
As Advoc said, we'll send three of our most trustworthy spies (who preferably speak Serpent) with Biggs acting as their superior. In case you don't remember, Biggs is one of the two ex-adventurers I recruited a few weeks ago along with Wedge. Their mission:
  • Set up Exchange outposts in Sho territory. Their first priority is to track the other party's progress and help them when needed. Recruit new spies and sell the information they gather to sustain this branch of the Exchange. I'll give Biggs 200 pieces of gold so he can set up shop.
  • I know Biggs is no spymaster at all, but that's not what I need him to be; I need someone I can trust. His job is to keep an eye on the Sho branch as a whole, give me regular updates, push forth the policies I've put in place... and make sure the party doesn't get into trouble. He was an adventurer, so he knows how bad it can get when they run loose. Just give them a target they can focus on so they don't go knock on the wrong's person door and bring the wrath of an important figure on the Exchange as a whole. Biggs can let the spies take care of the spy network, and I'll recall him back in Holtburg once everything is set up.
  • Second priority: if resistance is minimal, prepare to expand the Exchange's influence in Sho, e.i. infiltrating the economic, political and military infrastructures in the region. Our goal is still to replace the Undermarket's middle managers by gathering as much information as we can. However, be careful not to start a turf war with another criminal organization.
  • Third priority: set up the Exchange proper when possible. Hire merchants, buy caravans and send them on the trade routes.
  • Fourth priority: find Sethos and see if he can help Rory, Javan and Higaide. If he can help the Exchange too, great, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Fifth priority: Biggs should stay on the lookout for any swords to hire.
  • P.S.: while in Sho, I expect my employees to respect the "customs" of this place. I imagine the Undermarket never really had a presence there because of this, so tread carefully. However, there's no place for these "traditions" within my organization. Only competency and loyalty is rewarded. So yeah, we'll hire even the lowliest Sclavi; especially those who were turned away from the military because of this "time limit" policy. Everyone has a use.
  • P.P.S: don't fight with the criminal Lord there. Just don't.

Battle's aftermath:
Now that he has left the bloody streets filled with desecrated corpses behind him, Zeiss realizes he cannot possibly explain to the Separatists why the Lady of Holtburg is refraining from attacking the Exchange's headquarters. With this in mind, he formulates a new plan which he shares with Advoc. He will follow the commander and try to get the location of this outpost out of her by asking questions like: "Do you have any horses hidden away to get there faster?". Something subtle to incite a response which will give him an idea of how far this outpost is and maybe even its location (use the Orator ability Persuasion if I have a charge left; 3/day). If it's less than a day away, Zeiss will follow her until he figures out where it is, kill the commander, scout out the base to figure out what are their forces, go back to Holtburg to inform the Lady Hammersmith, and advice an immediate counterattack that would certainly take them by surprise. If it's possible at all considering our losses.

If Zeiss can't figure out the location of the outpost, he will simply kill the commander and return to Holtburg. No point in torturing her for information since she could lie about it just to spite me.

Meeting with Lady Hammersmith:
As leader of the Exchange, Zeiss will meet the Lady of Holtburg at the indicated time alongside Kolson and Advoc. Here's how he will present himself:
  • He is respectful and makes the appropriate salutation once they're face to face, but he clearly doesn't care for protocol. The young leader would rather talk to the woman hidden behind the mask she presents to the world. Depending on how observant she is, Lady Hammersmith may realize that Zeiss is evaluating her.
  • He is straightforward and very precise when he talks. His choice of words is meant to convey the most information possible in the shortest sentence he can make. Not that he can be as articulate as any other politician or aristocrat; he simply chooses not to do so to save time. If Lady Hammersmith wanted to have a fluffy conversation, she should ask to speak with Kolson next time.
  • He presents himself as Zeiss of Dreamkeeper. If her curiosity pushes her to ask why he created this clan name, Zeiss will refuse to answer, explaining that: "I seriously doubt you would believe me. Until you learn to trust my word, I cannot tell you. Suffice to say I fight for my freedom, and consequently, everyone else's."
  • If she asks what kind of reward the Exchange would desire, Zeiss would demand one simple thing: the political backing necessary to subjugate the other Blocs within the Holtburg region. How? I want her to convince the other Blocs leaders to convene in Holtburg for a meeting with the Exchange. There, I will convince them that joining up with the Exchange is the best course of action for everyone. I suspect it would take days, so I am prepared to offer accommodations for the leaders during this time. Lady Hammersmith cracking down on their business would also be a nice argument to our arsenal, but I want to try the diplomacy route first. I'm sure they can be reasoned with. No doubt she would like to know what are the Exchange's goals, so in summary: a) reform the Aluvian economy b) resolve the refugees situation c) stop the civil war d) stop the big war and e) rule over the Undermarket's remnants. If she can't give this to us, we'll have to fall back to trade concessions and connections. Or a contact to this No Name network.
  • Kolson wants this specific reward: to publicly receive a medal for his invaluable contribution to this battle, after we have mourned the soldiers who died. Public recognition are the key words. The medal isn't that important.
  • Another reward: the discharge of Rory's siblings, if they're still alive. If they are, send them to the Exchange's headquarters with the message that Rory has taken care of their financial problems. I would like the same thing to happen for Higaide's friends, if they have enlisted into the military at all.
  • As to what kind of relationship the Exchange will have with the government: I would prefer to hear what she has to say first.

Kolson wrote:
As an addition to Zeiss' fine post I'll get his people on fencing the loot but I'll check all of it for magic first (Weaving 23 or whatever is appropriate).

I'll also bring the fine brew as a gift to the Lady so we can all toast our success. Checking it for poison first, of course. I'll pour a little bit out and let some rats taste it. I'm sure I can get some down at the docks. Actually, do they have rat catchers here? If so, I'll pay for a few live ones.

Last edited by Zeiss of Dreamkeeper on Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:16 pm; edited 34 times in total
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:10 pm

God Zeiss.

Kolson: The dice claim that Tia's house is untouched, miraculously. So is most of that neighborhood, since the fighting was localized elsewhere.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:20 pm

I'm glad he'll be keeping you busy while roleplay and the irregular 1-2 posts per day between me and Kolson drag on, at the moment. For the management minigame, Zeiss is your man.

Or was that to him going Walter White on the Separatist commander?
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:41 pm

Arch told me he's waiting for you guys to finish roleplaying before he posts the results of my actions.

*eyes the other players*
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:46 pm

Javan wasn't on his room, having woken up by himself earlier. In fact, he can to be found sitting in front of the cell holding the elf prisoner. Probably has been staring the prisoner for a good hour or so.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:28 pm

Archengeia wrote:God Zeiss.
You said it all man. You said it all.

Rory wrote:As they move through the house, Rory will comment, "There's no one here. If I could go home right now, I wouldn't see any of my people there. Some day, I just want to go home, wherever that ends up being, and see my brothers and sisters waiting for me."

Leading the way up the stairs Kolson asks,"What was your village like back in the day? You've mentioned it a few times in passing but I didn't want to pry."
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:41 am

OOC: I already said the gist of it in "The Seas Don't Change Their Temper", but sure, I got more.

Rory gets going, not sure from the outset what else he had to add from their previous talk. "Well, I said we were isolated. We would sail, hunt, fish, and we kept people on watch for intruders. We all knew each other, and that came with its ups and downs, but we had trust...to the exclusion of the rest of the people. Now that I think of it, they probably knew where we were and just stayed away from the 'weirdos'. For a long while, nothing would happen. I think that was why I didn't want to become a 'warrior', hmph. Why bother learning how to defend yourself and your friends if there's nothing serious to defend from?"

"That made me a pain in the ass to my dad, but it wasn't just him who had to 'deal'. Being patient is a requirement for being chosen as an Elder - among the elderly. Almost all of them were patient with me, at the very least, but there was this one old geezer who had it out for me. Let's just say patience can be both a virtue and a weapon with the right mind, my friend. And everybody knew everybody, right? That Elder wasn't some old jerk I could forget about, a la perk of living in a mega city like this. And I couldn't just walk away. That meant leaving for good. It was that bad. Hell, for being a trader, you're one foot out the door already."

"Now that's not to say we hate the people who would leave for good. When your community is small, and very close in spirit, it's...well, it's difficult to just forget them. It's like you put up your own invisible wall right along the boundaries we set up, an wrapped an invisible tether around you and attached the other end to your home, and you can't..." He trails off and clears his throat.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:52 am

Essoje wrote:Javan wasn't on his room, having woken up by himself earlier. In fact, he can to be found sitting in front of the cell holding the elf prisoner. Probably has been staring the prisoner for a good hour or so.

Higaide finds Javan.

"We've got a situation."

If Javan moves away from the prisoner, Higaide will elaborate.

"We've lost a ship full of Humans. Rory and me and Kolson are moving out to find it. You're interested?"
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:36 pm

Javan had less problems moving to a more private place to listen to what Higaide has to say than to grasp the situation, "Wha... how does... a whole ship full of... after all that work to... You know what? Nevermind. Doesn't matter. Tell me details once we are on route. I'll get myself and the Scarves ready. Actually, wait... just a second."

Javan then quickly produces a notebook and a pen, and writes down a few numbers onto it, then takes the page off and hands it to Higaide, and will trail off to do his own things, "Here. Be a pal and give this to Kolson, will you? This is the current per-day needs of the Scarves, including service fees. I need at least the provisions but Kolson should be able to have someone take care of that. We can talk gold later."

The dragoon then starts to move to his destination, still mumbling to himself, "Hm... I should talk with the Scarves about death gratuity, I kinda need them on the job at all times... If only 'loyalty missions' were a thing, like in that book..."
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by K Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:47 pm

"Sure."

Higaide moves off to rejoin Rory and Kolson. He'll give Kolson the note as soon as possible.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:23 pm

Rory wrote:OOC: I already said the gist of it in "The Seas Don't Change Their Temper", but sure, I got more.

Rory gets going, not sure from the outset what else he had to add from their previous talk. "Well, I said we were isolated. We would sail, hunt, fish, and we kept people on watch for intruders. We all knew each other, and that came with its ups and downs, but we had trust...to the exclusion of the rest of the people. Now that I think of it, they probably knew where we were and just stayed away from the 'weirdos'. For a long while, nothing would happen. I think that was why I didn't want to become a 'warrior', hmph. Why bother learning how to defend yourself and your friends if there's nothing serious to defend from?"

"That made me a pain in the ass to my dad, but it wasn't just him who had to 'deal'. Being patient is a requirement for being chosen as an Elder - among the elderly. Almost all of them were patient with me, at the very least, but there was this one old geezer who had it out for me. Let's just say patience can be both a virtue and a weapon with the right mind, my friend. And everybody knew everybody, right? That Elder wasn't some old jerk I could forget about, a la perk of living in a mega city like this. And I couldn't just walk away. That meant leaving for good. It was that bad. Hell, for being a trader, you're one foot out the door already."

"Now that's not to say we hate the people who would leave for good. When your community is small, and very close in spirit, it's...well, it's difficult to just forget them. It's like you put up your own invisible wall right along the boundaries we set up, an wrapped an invisible tether around you and attached the other end to your home, and you can't..." He trails off and clears his throat.

OOC: You seemed like you had more to say and that was my haphazard way of trying to prompt it.

Kolson nods as they walk down the hall of the second floor to the attic trapdoor, which Kolson pulls down, extending the collapsible ladder. "Hold on a sec while I get a lamp. The lighting is terrible up there."

He ducks into a room and you hear a slight scrape of metal on wood. Five second later a yellow glow precedes Kolson out of the bedroom and once in the hall, he walks to the trapdoor ladder and begins ascending carefully, doing his best to hold the lamp steady. When he gets about half way, he reaches up and puts the lamp into the attic, sliding it along the floor so that it is out of the way.

"This use to be my parent's house, back in the day. Truth be told, you gave me the perfect excuse to check on it." He disappears into the attic.
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:53 am

"Heh, uh, you're welcome." He climbs up into the attic after Kolson. "You sure your dad's old charts are the ones we want? How long's it been since he disappeared?"
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:03 pm

"We could buy some new ones I suppose, but it's only been five years. It's not like the tides are suddenly going to change all that much.

"Hnn, five years. Has it really been that long? If you wouldn't mind, the charts are in that chest over there."
Kolson points to the left, at a fine mahogany chest, which is mostly surrounded and covered by a painting of a desert sunset, some old pots of various sizes, stacks and stacks of books, and a couple of old chairs. A fine layer of dust covers it all. "If you pull out one of the chairs I'll put the lamp on it and help clear the area."
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:05 am

"Done." Rory grabs a chair and just about yanks it, causing some furniture to clatter on the ground and against each other from the displacement.

"What did your dad like more, sailing or discovering new land? Or, was it just for the money?"

From that point onward, while lifting furniture and pots and book stacks, being stronger than he looks(because his bulky frame has been retconned by a vorlon), Rory has to hold back from just knocking over furniture deliberately to save time; however, he is gentle with the pots(and the books). One look at the painting, and he exhales something between a groan and a sigh. Blowing off the dust and wiping down the chest is his least favorite part, his tingling nerves forcing a shiver out of him.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolson Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:35 pm

"Thank you." Kolson sets down the lamp and starts helping Rory as best he can. "I think it was the discovery that drove him the most. The idea that he'd be the first in hundreds or thousands of years to know something, or to experience whatever. Sailing and traveling in general were special too, but I think it was more of a means than a goal."

As they are clearing the area the elf notices Rory's reaction to the desert painting. "It's a painting of the [insert name here] Desert here in Aluvia. My father bought it for my mother as a gift on one of his travels. Quite a productive one if I remember correctly. He said he found some very old ruins dating back to the time of the Scion Empire."

Once clear, Kolson opens the chest and begins digging through it. He removes a black box made of some wood that Rory doesn't recognize, an old broken spyglass, a rusty sextant, four small journals, two ship's logs, and..."Yes, here we go!"

Kolson pulls out two large scroll cases, one marked "LAND" and the other marked "SEA." He wastes little time closing the chest and opening the "SEA" case, which he tips over to let the maps slide out before catching them in his free hand and pulling them out the rest of the way. He sets them on top of the chest and unrolls them, quickly searching for the correct one. "Success! Let's head back."
Kolson
Kolson

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next