Archengeia's D&D Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OOC Thread for Dungeoneering

5 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

OOC Thread for Dungeoneering - Page 3 Empty Re: OOC Thread for Dungeoneering

Post by K Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:54 am

If we just blend in with the humans trying to hitch a ride, the ship will come to us and take us in - no need to storm anything all the way up to that point. Those people are counting on the stragglers being gullible and docile like good little sheep. I doubt they'd do anything to upset or needlessly restrain them until they got them right where they want them, and that's our destination.

Even if they do, we'll have made our way up to that point without throwing a punch, and so long as we keep our guard up, i doubt they'll have anything in place that was made to deal with the likes of us, or Headless wouldn't have gone to the trouble of trying to use Sethos to set us a trap. Not saying it's impossible, but compared to storming an airship, i think it's an acceptable risk.
K
K

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Air
Class: Monk
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:14 am

Which brings us to the scanner thing again: we need a way to mask our... Uh, hey, what about the boxes with the foodstuff? It might have been a red herring or flavor, but this also might be our way in. It stands to reason that the ship might take those crates as well as the humans unless the destination is really close-by, but I'm guessing not.

Do you guys want to work this angle at all? I think it's worth the shot since it skips a LOT of the problems we would have, and we would only need Rory outside to get the rest of us out once we are at our destination or inside the ship.

Oh wait, we need to confirm something first: Arch, the crates we saw in that place were big enough for people to hide inside? Also, the stasis thing was from the boxes or the building itself?
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet
Class: Fighter 6/ Dragoon 1/ Green Aberrant 1
Race: Fairy(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:20 pm

Yes the crates can hold you, yes the crates contain the stasis Weaving, yes it's powerful enough to mask sensors, yes the GM thinks this stuff out in advance.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by K Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:31 pm

Convenient as it may be, i'm wary of stepping into one of those, but it's actually a great idea. Still, i doubt we can pull it off without Sethos's cooperation. Or that of the local sheep Humans, for that matter.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:27 pm

Hm, hm. I see what you're saying. I'm Starting to think Stealth is the way to go. Now assuming we find our way onboard, should we just keep waiting till we arrive at their Base of Op? Should we take them by surprise at some point during or after the flight? Mustard gas would come in real handy if we do.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Earth
Class: Barbarian Pugilist(5/3)

Back to top Go down

Post by K Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:47 pm

Assuming they'll leave the crates alone, then carry them some place to be stored out of sight until someone wants to eat us, i think we'd benefit from staying incognito as long as possible. If it goes really well, we could find ourselves in their territory with them being none the wiser, which would give us an advantage.

Of course, they could store our boxes under other boxes, which would make things awkward when we wanted to get out, or any number of crap we wouldn't want to be boxed in for. But generally speaking, and so long as we poke some air holes, it should mostly go smoothly. Mostly.

Just don't fall asleep, Rory. Take a book with you, or something.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:34 pm

Peerless Drudge Charm - what's mine is yours!
We do not need to bother with Fatigue penalties. Javan can get some rest on the airship, depending on how fast it is. Rory can simply put on the drudge charm and go to sleep for 1 hour in our abandoned barn, which I think is still playing it safe concerning the time window we have, And then hand it off to Javan, who will use it to sleep for 1 hour inside the food crates.

Hang on, they got sweet, sweet loot - where'd they get that stuff??
The good equipment that we've been wearing openly should be either concealed or put in our bags of holding if they're to assume we're just faceless, dazed & confused dregs. At least until we can get into the food storage. Yes, even our weapons. Sad

Things to get
mustard gas
threadbare clothing to pass as poor human people, complete with hoods (so, robes)
sackcloth face-coverings or bandages for our "disfigured" friend the elemental abomination.

Human Inexperience
If someone decides to talk to us, we'll pretend to be quiet and antisocial, and try to get out of talking to them. If they persist, I'll lie. I'll roll for us because I'll have Advantage. Higaide can assist.

And whatever's in that food storage, don't eat it. Could be soylent green.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:08 pm

We don't need air holes for the crates, nor want them, for the contents inside are under stasis and holes will probably mess up with them magicks. Remember, we are using those crates because they will mess up with the scanning of the ships in the first place, so the magic must be working for them to be useful. As such, we need to keep them closed for as long as possible.

I fully expect whoever goes inside to not even be able to notice the passage of time between the lid of the crate being closed and when it is opened again even days later, as it would be near instant for them. This also means it doesn't work as a way to get the hours of rest. We need the sleep, and I'm pretty sure we have the time for that, since the ship is coming 'tomorrow' in Sethos' words aka the 8th, and last I checked, we shouldn't have used something like 16 hours going into the farm and coming back. Arch, fell free to correct me if I'm saying bull right now.

Another thing I'm pretty sure is that whatever is inside won't have their elemental energies touched, only what's outside. Otherwise, it would fail as a way of conserving stuff fresh. So while Javan and Higaide would find it quite unpleasant to approach the crates, once inside it shouldn't matter until the crate opens again.

Also, we need a trigger word and a safe word, so when the crate opens and nobody says it, whoever is inside stays quiet. The trigger word is if we entered a combat situation, so whoever is inside can quickly jump out, guns blazing. Finally, the safe word is so whoever is inside comes out in silence instead. The words are something anyone can say, so if whoever stayed outside cannot contact the people in the crate directly but got allies, they can call us into battle or safety, so it must be something that wouldn't be used in a normal conversation. Arch probably knows where I'm coming from, heh.

Anyways, I'm leaving the trigger and safe words up to you guys this time. Have fun! :D

So the charm would be useful if we plan to sleep for only 1 hour, but I think Javan needs the full 8 hours in order to get his lightning ball charges and green mana back, which is a thing since Javan is now a hybrid fighter/caster.

You would probably want to keep the bags of holding with whoever is inside the crates, as I'm sure it would attract attention, so using an empty sack or old backpack would be more convincing. And agreed, mustard gas stuff is nice, but don't forget them setting-equivalent flashbangs.

Also only Rory will be outside the whole time, and will be the one calling the shots of opening the crates when the time comes. Reasoning follows: Higaide and Javan are glowing with elemental energy, and even without the scanners of the ship you just need them to have a fairy of any level or way of life around or people with some elemental knowledge, and suddenly any and all mundane disguises just stop working.

Otherwise, everything is fine to me.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:08 pm

Huh. 'Kay. If we have a day to prepare, and if stasis works the way Javan thinks it does, we shall sleep a whole 8 hours first. Arch, how does stasis affect a sleeping person?

Javan, have your buddies buy the mustard gas and disguises. I'll give them money. Will they be coming with us? Safe phrase: "the chocolate mousse is not in season."

If I'm outside, I'm going to have to come up with some way of staying near the crates or getting to them later, which would risk discovery. I guess I could wing it. But why will I need to be outside in the first place? Can't we just wait for the crates to open, and then jimmy-jam everyone in the room when we come out?

So, if I want you guys to be quiet, I say the safe word. If we're starting a fight, I say the safe word. You wanna go over that one more time? How would you know the difference?
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Archengeia Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:12 pm

No one here has the expertise with stasis to really answer the stasis question outside of flat INT rolls, which no one succeeded at.
Archengeia
Archengeia

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
Class: GM
Race: Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeiss Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:43 pm

Just want to remind everyone that you guys can see dust in the distance, probably from people coming to check on the place. Destroying that sentinel may have changed the planned schedule.

I'll shut up now.
Zeiss
Zeiss

Character sheet
Elemental Affinity:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:00 am

The thing that has me hesitant to believe that we have enough time to sleep Javan, is that Sethos is telling us what he knew to be true moments before we stormed up and roughed up their boss and otherwise disturbed the proceedings. And the only thing that could be kicking up those dust *clouds* is an airship. How much time do you think it will take to pack all the remaining humans onboard? No doubt the humans have some luggage, but how much?

They could very quickly have decided they want to bring the airship in and lift as many stragglers as they can out of there as soon as possible. These are the last of the bunch to go. If we don't go with them, we'll be traveling by foot, so I'd rather not take the time to rest if possible. We might have only enough time to get our disguises and mustard gas and flashbangs(I don't remember what we're actually referring to) and then book it back to the plantation.

The chocolate mousse is not in season.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:55 am

Erm, a good amount of horses in high speed could kick up enough dust to be considered dust clouds... Because it's not that hard to for dust clouds to be formed. Also, why would an airship be flying so low it creates dust clouds? I don't buy it.

So let's do this: we hurry up, buy the stuff and then sleep in the wild close by where we need to be. Since Rory only need that 1 hour of sleep, he can stay up and check if things change as you guys fear. If things go well, Javan can get 1 hours of sleep with the charm and can stay in meditation for 7 hours. If we have to hurry up, then at least the fatigue will be gone.

We still need the trigger word, but man, I do love the safe word. "The chocolate mousse is not in season". *looks expectantly at K with a grin*
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:42 am

Uh... it breaks my heart to say i don't really get the joke behind the chocolate mousse thing (i should?).

Anyway, if we have 5 minutes to spare when we get to the crates, i'd like to shove one of us in there for a few minutes, just to have an idea of what to expect.

Otherwise, i don't really have anything to point out right now. I'm pretty sure we'll still need at least Sethos' cooperation if we're to pull this off. I agree with Rory staying outside, but if any of the Sclavi who fought us are in or around the airship, it could make this whole operation a bust. I guess his face could be concealed (like Luke Skywalker did in Myrkr, maybe), but i'm guessing his build will stand out. I mean, you could always wrap yourself in a black cloak and start mumbling about the great sephiroth, but either way, you might attract more attention than we'd all like. Still, best option i can see.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:10 am

It's not a joke, we were supposed to have two phrases, one for imminent combat and another for safe getting out. The safe one is the chocolate mousse, which I honestly liked. K, you get to choose the combat one.

We absolutely need the two phrases, so we and any allied NPCs don't have to think too much about it in a 'no time to explain' situation and can act appropriatedly.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:56 am

Trigger phrase is "Can't we talk this out?".
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:16 pm

I can jump into the fridge a tick for you guys.

If the trigger word is for us to jump out and beat up everything in sight, why would we need it to be anything besides "I'm gonna kick your butts" ? Shouldn't we all be able to identify each other by our voices by now?
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:14 pm

I'm under the impression people don't read my walls of text... Well, they ARE walls of text. They are not for us PCs, but so we don't had to deal with trust issues in case we need someone else to use the trigger or safe phrase around an open crate.

Imagine that Rory suffers an accident and is suddenly polymorphed into Goth the Barbarian Sheep... Now imagine there's someone onboard that can talk Sheep and is a neutral party. If Goth convinces said neutral party to open the crates and say 'The chocolate mousse is not in season', we don't have to deal with believing or not that Goth the Barbarian Sheep is Rory after the explanation from the neutral party, you just automatically assume that's the truth because the chances are astronomically low to happen otherwise.

Unlikely to happen in something as extreme as my example, but I'd like to cover that base now than be sorry later.
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:35 am

I'm not sure I see a scenario involving the trigger word, but we'll use two words I'm pretty sure I'll never hear put together in my life: "querulous reverence."
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:12 am

but can't we talk this out?
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:35 am

(!)

OOC Thread for Dungeoneering - Page 3 NCT
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:57 am

What?
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:54 pm

You triggered me. tongue

So are we agreed then? I'll get the things Javan wants, because money. We'll keep watch while we nap and speed up our schedule if we notice something unusual. If we do, we'll try to get ahead of it with my drudge charm. Then we'll all go get frozen with me being the frozen-party-minder(hopefully there's enough room to stow the White Scarves).

Then I'll spring us when we're inside their base or whatever, hopefully when I can separate from the herd and pretend to be someone who already works there to help unload the foodstuff.
Trigger: querulous reverence.
Safe: the chocolate mousse is not in season.
Rory
Rory

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Essoje Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:34 am

*Wonders how bad they'll screw this plan because D&D, but agrees that this is about the best they can come up with right now without doing a Leeroy Jenkins*
Essoje
Essoje

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by K Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:35 am

Fine, i'll give up my trigger word. So long as we get those 5 minutes to test the boxes before we commit to having two of us in stasis in them for hours.
K
K

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next